IGNORED

Second-Time 7800 Owner

Vic George 2K3

Just recently I got myself a "minty" Atari 7800 "complete in box" -- minus one controller. And so far I've got a few 7800 games to go with it -- Pole Position II (the pack-in), Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, and Dig Dug, with Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior on the way. It's still a pretty good system, though my view of the system nowadays is less "colored" than it was about 20 years ago, which most likely was my reaction to the "Nintendo juggernaut" that was sucking all third-party software support and interest toward their vaunted NES system. The Atari 7800 could have used a better -- and possibly third-party -- controller than their pack-in control stick, which in my honest opinion is rather stiff, plus the action buttons could feel more responsive. Also, I didn't like that certain games (Choplifter, One On One, Karateka) were coded specifically to use the Atari 7800 controller, so I'm going to avoid those duds like the plague.

The 7800 did have a another set of controllers released for it. I'm not sure what they were called but they looked more like a Sega Master System controller with a little joystick. Awkward looking, but may be more comfortable. I liked the Pro-Line controllers myself other than the fact that they did cramp your hands after a while.

Just recently I got myself a "minty" Atari 7800 "complete in box" -- minus one controller. And so far I've got a few 7800 games to go with it -- Pole Position II (the pack-in), Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, and Dig Dug, with Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior on the way. It's still a pretty good system, though my view of the system nowadays is less "colored" than it was about 20 years ago, which most likely was my reaction to the "Nintendo juggernaut" that was sucking all third-party software support and interest toward their vaunted NES system. The Atari 7800 could have used a better -- and possibly third-party -- controller than their pack-in control stick, which in my honest opinion is rather stiff, plus the action buttons could feel more responsive. Also, I didn't like that certain games (Choplifter, One On One, Karateka) were coded specifically to use the Atari 7800 controller, so I'm going to avoid those duds like the plague.

You can add Midnight Mutants to the list of controller coded games.It wont work with any 3rd party stik,screen goes black,which i thought was the game cart itself,as soon as i replugged the pro-line,it worked.There's several more 7800 controller coded games like that also

Edited by Rik

Those "NES" style sticks are the joypads. You can get them now in the States thanks to Video 61 and Best Electronics, and possibly other stores.

I have two, and they don't seem as responsive as the stock joysticks to me. When I use them there seems to be a slight delay in comparison to using the original sticks. They are more comfortable for some games, but the delay really bothers me, especially when playing Choplifter.

They also work with 2600 games, but in my opinion, Sega Genesis pads work far better. However, Sega Genesis pads don't seem to be compatible with all 2600 games played on the 7800. A few times I had to pull out the pad and put in a 2600 joystick to get the games going.

Yeah, and I'm hoping to get my hands on some of them IF AND WHEN the store reopens.

Albert said when he closed the store to PM him if there is something specific you are looking for.

By the way, Beef Drop and Pac-Man Collection are superb.

Lastly, the plain old 2600 controller is still my controller of choice for the 7800...though I do have 2 Radica space invaders sticks that I will convert someday

• 2 weeks later...