IGNORED

The NES Max controller-UGH!....

I ordered one of these off of Ebay due to the rapid fire feature-but the joystick that's on it is a complete mess, and way too loose. It's not centered at all, and the one I got wasn't broken. You can use the d-pad that surrounds the stick, but that doesn't work real well.

I have a sinking suspicion that I've also experienced what a 5200 joystick is like. If they are that loose, then forget it!

I was a latecomer to the NES MAX. I was expecting it to be like the Neo-Geo Pocket's sublime thumbstick, but it's more like thumbwrestling with a quarter glued to a boomerang. The handles were an important innovation, and one that's still influencing the video game industry, but everything else about this controller is seriously weak.

Edited by Jess Ragan

I love this controller, but they are hard to find unbroken.

It is the best for NES hockey; for some reason sliding it around goes with sliding on the ice, I guess.

Funny, I was about to post the same comment. I loved this controller back in the day. Especially for Ice Hockey. The rapid fire button works great for the faceoff.

I haven't played with one since my original NES back in the day.

I love this controller, but they are hard to find unbroken.

It is the best for NES hockey; for some reason sliding it around goes with sliding on the ice, I guess.

Funny, I was about to post the same comment. I loved this controller back in the day. Especially for Ice Hockey. The rapid fire button works great for the faceoff.

I was lucky enough to find a Max NISB a few years back. It's a great controller for games where you are always, always, always moving in one direction or another. Pretty much useless for anything else.

You should get this instead:

Sweet lookin and freakin wireless:

http://www.playmessiah.com/products/classi...rcade-stick.htm

Wait.. reading their website, it looks like this won't work with a normal NES only theirs? Shame.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a NES Advantage; evidently they don't weigh very much Off-topic, you've all been warned: DON'T BUY THE MESSIAH CONSOLE! I got one last year from GameCrazy, and turned it back in for store credit. If there was even a spec of dust on a cartridge, it would not work.

At any rate, is the 5200 joystick as loose as the one on the NES Max? And didn't Acclaim come out with a wireless NES controller?

The Max controller sucks in so many different ways.

Wait.. reading their website, it looks like this won't work with a normal NES only theirs? Shame.

Originally you could use them on a real NES with the wireless adapter. It seems that they don't make the adapter any more which really sucks. Especially since the controller is their only good product. :P

I do use a NEX wired controller on my NES (and RetroDuo) though. It's great. :cool:

I always liked the Max - I didn't really want a joystick, just wanted turbo so the Max was perfect. The thumb thing is weird but I didn't have much complaint by using the outer ring. I didn't know they had issues with getting broken. Mine still works as far as I know, but I haven't used it in a long time.

I disagree about Contra though - that's one game where I prefer the original NES pad. That game requires frequent and precise touches to the D-Pad, and for that reason I get best results with the original. The ring thing on the Max is a bit clumsy, and turbo just clusters your shots together so I don't like it for that game.

The NES MAX. I've still got mine. I never got used to the disc either...I just push on the black surrounding ring. This thing rocks for playing Double Dragon II. How else are you going to do the hyper-knee, of the hyper-uppercut? I remember having a yellow 3d party turbo controller, where you could set your turbo level with some switches, and it had a regular D-Pad. Don't mean to hijack...but does anyone remember something to this effect? I was living overseas at the time, and it might have been a Euro only model...no idea.

Turbo Touch 360... the only way to play Street Fighter II on the SNES!

The bad thing about the Max are the little nubbins on the back that leave imprints on your fingers. Why did they put those there? For pain?

And the worst game to use the Max on? My vote goes for Punch-Out. That game requires precise D-pad action and the Max fails in that department. That actually sounds like a good contest: a six pack, NES Max controller, and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. Go.

I remember my friend had this and I didn't know how to properly use it. It was so large I couldn't exactly hold it in hand or sit it on my lap comfortably.

You're thinking of the Advantage; the Max is a small half-moon shaped controller with a sliding controller in the center of a circular d-pad.

I have to be honest: I hated the Max. I loved the Advantage, though...I guess it's probably because of so much time spent in arcades...

The Max isn't "broken", the little cycloid for the D-pad is always loose. It was designed to slide with your thumb to press the direction you want to move in.

Interesting note: The NES Max was originally designed by Bullet Proof Software (the guys that published Tetris and Faceball 2000 on the gameboy) for the famicom as the BPS Max.

• 4 months later...

Well, that's a tease. Simple for anyone to repair, or just people who are good at repairing stuff? I have two broken ones and have taken them apart and checked the contacts, cleaned them, and given problem areas a squirt of deoxit and they still don't work. So what are your repair secrets? I would love to get mine to work.