IGNORED

Blasted console broke!

HawgWyld1

Here's a question for you tech-minded 2600 fans. One of my poor ol' systems is having some trouble. Specifically, it works great for about five minutes, and then the screen goes all wacky (reduced color, wavy lines and fuzzy picture). If I turn off the power and flip it back on, everything is fine for about five minutes. It's a repeating cycle, see.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I've run it through both an RF converter and my preferred method of using an RCA jack to cable converter, and the problem still persists. I've got two other consoles that work just fine through the RCA jack to cable converter, so I'm pretty sure my afflicted console has some kind of blasted internal problem.

Help, please!

It sounds like the power supply is over heating.....exact sympton one of my units had and I fixed it by switching supplies.

Atari2600Lives

I thought that might be the problem because I got a replacement power supply for this particular machine at Radio Shack. However, it does the same thing with another power supply I tried, and yet another console works just fine with the Radio Shack one.

Well since we're talking about broken 2600's, what about mine? It's a Vader. When I turn it on I just get a black screen. I've opened it, I couldn't see anything wrong with it. I know it's not my games, so anybody know what's wrong with it.

Your cart port is broken.

The contacts are either broken or bend back so

far that they don't make contact.

The voltage regulator is most likely the problem...I have seen this lots of times... To fix that black screen problem run to Radio Shack and buy yourself a 7805 voltage regulator. Go home, open the vader up and desolder the old one...replace with new and power it up.

Let us know...

;)

The voltage regulator is most likely the problem...I have seen this lots of times...  To fix that black screen problem run to Radio Shack and buy yourself a 7805 voltage regulator.  Go home, open the vader up and desolder the old one...replace with new and power it up.  

Let us know...

;)

Well now I'm confused. I assume you're talking to me when you say the black screen and the voltage regulator, oh and also the vader. But cmgill said the same thing, but to HawgWyld1. Does that mean that the same part will fix both of our problems?

The voltage regulator is most likely the problem...I have seen this lots of times... To fix that black screen problem run to Radio Shack and buy yourself a 7805 voltage regulator. Go home, open the vader up and desolder the old one...replace with new and power it up.  

Let us know...

Ok ice,

I guess I was wrong.

Sorry for leading you on the wrong track.

I was talking to Ice. As for the timing problem I am not totally sure...but I had a similar problem with my Atari 4 switcher back in the day. Turned out to be related to the voltage regulator...but not the regulator itself...it was the white heat compound used...over time this became really oily and was actually shorting out the Atari. I unscrewed the voltage regulator and carefully pried it up off the heat plate it was attached to. Then I had to wipe away all the white heatsink compound. Once I did this...I rescrewed it back to the heat plate on the main board and after that, the Atari worked just like new again. Far as I know..it still is somewhere...

I just bought a 2600 and was told it worked...it doesn't! :( I've taken it apart but to tell the truth I'm not sure what everything is, so I don't even know what to look for or what parts to buy to try to fix it. Does anyone know if there is an illistrated repair manual available? Where's the best place to look for another machine, or games? Thanks!

[/img]