IGNORED

Is the TI 99 any good?

fred

The Coco `s can be made to have GREAT looking games if you a good programer.

The Coco 3`s 256 color mode IS in there somewhere I thinK. It has been documented on "The inside" of the company.

And 16 colors is all you need look at defender and stargate. You can`t beat that. And Coco`s game are awsome, Except for the BAD clones....

The hardware 256 color mode got axed before it went to production. It may be in the prototype.

256 colors can supposedly be produced with NTSC artifacting using the 16 color mode. That works well for static pictures but not so well for animation.

You can also display "hi color" pictures with 64 colors by swapping the palette on the fly but it's CPU intensive.

BTW, my new TI 99/4A has cost me $0. The seller screwed up on the shipment so he refunded my payment.

He's just glad I'm going to forward a package for him that went to me by mistake.

• 3 months later...

I just had to share the deatails about the boxed TI-99/4A I picked up off of ebay.

It wasn't very expensive to begin with, came with a 3rd party extended Basic cart and an unboxed parsec game and spare keyboard (grey) still in package. I think it was around $21 shipped.

Now... this is where it gets interesting. Exact details are a little sketchy now but I think this is what transpired.

I get two boxes... one has a kid's learning toy and the other is the computer.

I let the seller know of the mistake and he ships another box of stuff.

He sends me $30 or so dollars to ship the kid's toy to the proper recipient AND refunds my payment.

By the time all is said and done, I end up with a BOXED Parsec not listed in the auction and shipped to me by accident, a VERY NICE TI-99/4A, a spare keyboard, an unboxed Parsec listed in the auction, and Some sort of Extended Basic. Shipping the "Geographic Explorer" (?) learning toy cost under $10 with delivery confirmation. So... I came out ahead by at least $20 + the mentioned stuff.

Sadly, by the time all was said and done it was past the time where I could leave the seller feedback but I gotta hand it to him, he went out of the way to make things right.

I gotta admit... the TI sure looked nice.

Edited by JamesD

Sounds like a really great seller, I wouldn't mind seeing what he has to offer. Drop his name?

Also, glad you got into a TI, they're fun and there are a ton of upgrades to be done to them. Have fun!

Oh, and a must-have accessory is the CX-40 adapter cable. Keyboarding is nice, but having a joystick ready is great.

Nathan

Sounds like a really great seller, I wouldn't mind seeing what he has to offer. Drop his name?

Also, glad you got into a TI, they're fun and there are a ton of upgrades to be done to them. Have fun!

Oh, and a must-have accessory is the CX-40 adapter cable. Keyboarding is nice, but having a joystick ready is great.

Nathan

I THINK his ID was beausstuff.

When I was a kid I asked my parents for a Commodore 64 -- and one day my dad came home with the TI 99-4A. I was disappointed at first, but eventually I liked it a lot.

I think the C-64 and the Atari 800 were technically superior, but I still had fun on the TI994A.

It had a "speech synthesizer" which you could even utilize and program yourself in BASIC. I thought that was the coolest thing when I was a kid. If you have ever heard Stephen Hawkings speak, that was the voice it used.

Hope those with the TI computers have fun!

• 1 month later...
Hey, does anyone know where I can buy Ti-99 carts online? I just got my Ti-99 system and I want to pick out a couple games.

The best online retailer left is Tex in Treasures:

http://texintreasures.com

You might also check out Competition Computer who sells on Ebay. They have a lot of rare (expensive) cartridges.

If you have a disk drive or a CF7, you can download alot of games from http://tigameshelf.net

Another new download site that is growing is the Planet 99 website: http://www.planet-99.net

I have also heard about a GPL Simulator that allows you run to many of the ROM games from a disk, but I don't know where to get it from.

Hope that helps.

Graham

• 4 years later...

Why so many comparisons between the TI994a and the Tandy CoCo3?, that is like comparing the CoCo3 to the Amiga 1200 when development timelines are taken into account.

The only fair comparisons can be drawn between the TI and CoCo 1&2 given the similar age of the machines.