IGNORED

What features?

Cap5750

Okay, I'm still thinking about writing my own (Atari only) game collector program.

Here are the features/specs I'm thinking of so far:

Database used: Microsoft Access

Don't worry. You would not need Access or a viewer to use the program!

Information stored about the game:

Go to one of the screens here about a game and the info you see there is pretty much it except I'm also adding things like purchase price, purchase location, user rating, quantity, number tradable, approxitmate value, box included, manual included, complete? and a few other things.

Games will be added either manually by typing in the information OR via an online query. I've spoken to Alex and Albert both about using AtariAge and plan to ask other Atari "Database" webpage owners as time permits.

Other stuff you can add:

Want list

Reporting:

Create html, text, csv, pdf etc dumps of your collection, tradable list, and want lists.

You'll also be able to send your want/trade lists to someone else who (using the program) can then load that into their program to "analyze". The program will then tell them if they have any games you want and also if you have any games they want. At this point, I don't know about having it do some kind of "guess at a trade", but I certainly won't rule it out.

Full internet support will be in place so that you can upload your collections to your website, e-mail your lists to your friends, etc.

There's also a couple of other surprises that may happen as well that I won't mention at this time.

So, other then the above-mentioned, and this is presuming any of you would be interested (whether or not you aren't doesn't matter...I'm really doing this for fun so I'd do it anyway ), what other features (if any) would you like to see?

Thanks,

Cap

this sounds like an excellent idea.

I use Cart Commander to keep track of my Atari carts. I think its a great program - but there are areas where it could improve.

It would be good if your program gave the ability to sort the list based on multiple characteristics - like sorting by manufacturer with carts by each manufacturer listed in order of rarity or date of purchase etc.

It would also be good if the program automatically detected when a duplicate cartridge is entered.

The idea you have for comparing trade and want lists is great - suggesting a good trade would be nice too.

Do you have a name for the program yet?

mitchell

If you could add a featyre to save out the database in one of the formats recognized by a Palm computer database, that would be great. I always have my Palm with me when thrifting so I can double check stuff. I have to do an awkward multistep process to get my info into a Palm database, so if you already wrote out to one of those formats that would awesome.

Even more awesome would be if you just had something that could synch with a Palm in one quick step, and then I think that you'd be some kind of millionaire. :)

@ Gulag, what process do you use to get your databases to your Palm?/ I just started (today) playing around with PDB Converter and reader, it seems to do the job I want, but if there is a better way, I (and at least one other person on this board) need as much help as you can give us!!

I use Cart Commander, and the databases start as .csv files if that helps...

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Keep them coming. As for the PDA database....I don't have access to a one (a PDA) let alone the programs that run on them. Would a csv export of the table suffice? I'll do some checking around to see what I can find.

Cap

I don't have my carts in a database yet. I used this for some magazine collections that I've got. I entered them in MS Access, then saved them out as CSV. The Palm program that I use (a freebie... I can look up the name if you need it) came with a convertor program on the PC to change MS' CSV format to whatever variant the Palm needs. Then it just gets uploaded to the Palm with a HotSYnc

With this freebie version, you can only view a database. You still have to edit it on the PC. There is also a limit to how many databases you can have (I think that it's ten). There's a popular database program for th4e Palm that runs some $30. It's supposed to have anything anyone would ever want as far as PC & Palm sharing data. For right now, it's outside of what I need but ultimately I could see picking up a copy.

Late last night I found out Microsoft is giving away the sdk for their PPC (Pocket PC). In the SDK you get an emulator to test out stuff you development (which they also give you embedded Visual Tools including embedded Visual Basic and embedded C++).

I'll check these out and see what I can come up with. I imagine my first pass will be the ability to dump everything to a csv file. I don't want to get hung up on one detail that keeps me from getting the program done. :)

Cap

Hey there SS-man... good eye! :) Actually I noticed yer own avatar some time ago... who doesn't love Robby the robot... let alone a black and white one. There's a model kit of Robby that's more than two feet tall... if it weren't something like $200 I'd consider it...

BTW I'm sure that you figured that was me in the pic right? I do actually play accordion and should be releasing some music online soon. I'll let you guys know since much of it will include the Atari Synthcart!

Oh man, I really need a new system for tracking. Here are my requests:

1) Allow the user to create custom fields. In my database, I have fields for tracking some non-standard stuff. This is why I can't use cart commander. Keep it very flexible.

2) Include the option to export the database to a delimited text file.

-paul

I use the DataBase built into the HP200LX/ HP100LX palmtops. It has the capability to define whatever fields I want. Actually I am using the same database I designed in 1997 when I began collecting seriously. It has the capability to input CDF (comma delineated files) and output text .. Plus I can CutCopyPaste between applications in the palmtop. Also I have a windoze version that runs on the family desktop.

In additon I use it to program and transfer BINs to the Vectrex VecRAM cart.

The HP200LX sells used for about $200 on eBay. HP100LX sells for less than $100 on eBay.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

(HP95/100/200LX palmtopper since June, 1992)