IGNORED

Lynx Display not working HELP!

halonothing

Yes.In the past with one Lynx II I did.The culplit was ribbon end slippage through the retainer clip(s).Check the seated ribbons and clips for proper seating.No angled clips or ribbons should be seen.When either is inserted properly they will 'click'.Also,look both ribbons over closely for 'age cracking' at their 'bend area' (a problem),especially the LCD ribbon.Recheck the clips/ribbons after putting battery box in (can cause main board movement and ribbon tension).Slip back cover on and check unit.O.K.??

just reseated all the ribbons, heard the click when i slit it in, but i still can't get any display besides a lit blackish screen. there appear to be no cracks on the ribbon. I'm out of ideas. I also tried cutting off the bottom 1mm of the ribbon to ensure a fresh connection when seated. any other ideas?

just reseated all the ribbons, heard the click when i slit it in, but i still can't get any display besides a lit blackish screen. there appear to be no cracks on the ribbon. I'm out of ideas. I also tried cutting off the bottom 1mm of the ribbon to ensure a fresh connection when seated. any other ideas?

Yes,a slight thump/click when ribbon ends bottom out/seat properly and definite click with the retainer clips.

Edited by chris_lynx1989

any other ideas?

Two I have: 1.) Clean and check the brightness 'pot' assembly for wear/looseness/damage/oxidation (corrosion).Use TV tuner type cleaner from Radio Shack or etc. and spray in the assembly.Rotate pot to extremes.Spray again and rotate it the same.Let dry.2.)Check LCD under a BRIGHT light for damage/cracking.Have you dropped it HARD lately?I think,it is a bad/dirty 'pot' or an LCD failure myself.

One more thing came to mind after my last post,I have a Lynx that is acting as you describe.I got it at a Flea Market(only Lynx I've ever seen at one in 18 yrs!) back in 2002/3,I think.I've been told by another that has done and does some Lynx service over the years too,that they think it my RAM causing my off and on problem.After the 1991 release of Lynx II,they 'cheapened up' Lynxes till when they ceased making them in the Summer of '93.Both of ours may be one of the 'Junk RAM' Lynxes!Seem FINE.