IGNORED

My special STFM's..

The quality of the paint job is great. But I cannot not comment on the choices. I think that the first one would look good in an expo if you put on display games like War in the golf or some flight simulators. The second one the more I see it the more it looks like it's gift rafted or something. I understand the whole EVH concept but I still can't like it. I guess that if guitar hero ever makes an appearance on the ST, like it did in the C64, then it would have some point? Dunno...

Giving a breath of life and color potential to a nice and great shaped machine with an otherwise boring, sickening and stupid gray color was my initial motivation on this. Life is full of choices. You can either stick with the identical one that thousands of users share around the world, or you may simply do something about it. I never liked for example the color choices on the Falcon with the out-of-the-circus multi colored Atari badge and the dark gray keyboard. Some people love it, but to me it is just ridiculous.

The likes of the genre of a game cant be a solid reason to justify a color choice on a machine. Suppose you love dark blue and you wanted your machine in that color with some added scarce black riples. That means that your machine should only be turned on with Silent Service loaded otherwise it would be out of place? I cant see a point on that comment.

Edited by phil_vr

The point is very simple: You do something, you put it on display and people comment on what they feel towards what you do. It may be a simple paintjob, a simple piece of code (with great graphics and tune ;)) or a few videos on youtube. When we do or don't do something we are open to public criticism. So in reference to my comments. They are nothing more and nothing less than an honest interpretation of what I felt when I saw your pictures. And that was, that the first paint job (militaire) can only be combined with that kind of setting and the second reminded me of a gift rap gone bad, maybe if you used less tape...

On your other point about the giving a breath of life, this happens every time you turn it on. So if this helps you to use it and be creative then it's great and please do what you feel.

On your other point about the giving a breath of life, this happens every time you turn it on.

I definitely agree with that. :cool:

I appreciate the effort in both paint jobs (really :)) , but neither does it for me. The camo looks a bit like something spilled on the machine, and the Van Halen one looks like gift wrapping or some white electrical tape job gone mad.

A digital camo might look pretty neat, though that would probably be close to impossible.

Digital camo wouldn't be that hard, just really frekkin time consuming.

Being a Van Halen fan from way back (had the t-shirt) I noticed the scheme right off the bat. The *only* thing I would suggest for a different paint job is a Soundgarden themed one!

I have one, I may take it apart and make a paint job to display. Soundgarden, hmmm...

Nathan

I'm not too keen on the color schemes either myself. However I DO think it's pretty awesome that you modded them (even if only slightly) to fit your tastes. I think it's a good way to either a)make your case fit you desires, or b)cover up an unsightly casing.

I could swear that I have seen custom computer skins around for these old machines. I saw a cool black marbled 800XL... tried to contact the guy who made it, but with no success. If I paint an ST, I'm gonna use some serious clear coat on it to make sure the paint stays put!

I didn't know the 520 had an internal floppy. Mine doesn't. Was that a later addition, or was that something you had to pay more money for back in the day (I missed out on this era of home computing)?

Christos, I accept gladly criticism and comments, thats why I accepted your good word regarding the paintjob quality, and I replied to your game related comments that didnt make sense to me. If you felt offended or cant accept a comment back, well.. that's your case. And on the Double Dragon it was a baseball bat. :)

Madhatter667, the Atari 520/1040 STF, STFM, STE models sported an internal disk drive. The STFM showed up shortly after the ST and had that feature. All models after the ST had the internal disk drive as standard.

Edited by phil_vr

• 3 weeks later...