IGNORED

5200 that goes black after the power brick gets warm

Allan

I have a 5200 that works fine when the power brick is first plugged in. But when it gets warm the 5200 starts but in a second or two goes black. I've tried a couple of different power bricks but the same thing happens with all of them. Any ideas what this might be.

Thanks in adance,

Allan

definetly check the two voltage regulators in the back of the system board. Good News is that if you are handy with a soldering iron, they are standard 7805 voltage regulators, and can be obtained from Radio Shack or other electronics supplier fairly cheap.

If that doesn't fix it, something else is failing once it heats up to a certain temperature, and that can be hard to find...

Get some "component cooler" from Radio Shack, or other supplier (sorry, i'm not trying to push Radio Shack, it's just that I know just about everybody has one, so trying to keep this "easy" as possible). Start Cooling off components and see if the problem goes away.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like my 5200 overheats now too. After twenty or so years I finally started playing it again after buying a new power adapter, refurbished controller, and a multi-cart, but the thing stops working after about ten minutes of play. When I let it cool down and start it back up its back to normal. I'm no good with soldering, so I'll probably end up buying another system shortly.

Looks like my 5200 overheats now too. After twenty or so years I finally started playing it again after buying a new power adapter, refurbished controller, and a multi-cart, but the thing stops working after about ten minutes of play. When I let it cool down and start it back up its back to normal. I'm no good with soldering, so I'll probably end up buying another system shortly.

Take the time to learn to solder!

It is really easy once you give it a try.

I find that the most common mistake is buying too hot of an iron.

I use a 15w for the little stuff and a 30w for heavier wiring.