IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

Okay guys, this feels like the fastest version I've ever played. Anyone know if the prosystem emulator gets the speed wrong?

For anyone else who, like me, is new to 7800 emulation, you can use Dauber's instructions from last week to get this working, but I had to leave out the "gs carttype" part this time (maybe because it's a hack and not a homebrew?).

Edited by Atarifever

Maybe you have fast mode turned on, it's controlled by one of the difficulty switches if I remember correctly.

Mitch

Well, it doesn't matter now. I got it in the mail today, so I'm playing the real version now. It does seem to run a little fast in the emulator.

I played it on my development kit. It seemed OK, but the Hangly Man maze has its name for good reason--you get hung up everywhere!

Just to clear up any confusion, let's set the left difficulty switch to the left side (B).

The right switch can be used to activate the Hangly Man maze for those wanting to take the challenge.

There is a hiding spot just above and to the right of where Pac Man starts. If you're seen entering, though, you'll be found.

Unfortunately, I've found this arcade version trick not to work. Tried it several times, was found. :(

There is a hiding spot just above and to the right of where Pac Man starts. If you're seen entering, though, you'll be found.

Unfortunately, I've found this arcade version trick not to work. Tried it several times, was found. :(

Yep, Shadow gets me everytime. Isn't this a Ms. Pacman hack? If so it makes sense, as the ghosts are programmed different in Ms. Pacman (I don't think the safe spot works in Ms. Pacman at all). I know the ghosts are "smarter" in Ms. Pacman because they have more randomness.

By the way, anyone have any suggestions on how to get a crappy digital camera to get a good shot of a TV? Does it normally work best with lights off, contrast down, no flash, etc? It is just a bright blur in my camera right now.

Edited by Atarifever

No matter how I adjust the camera or the TV I can't get it right. Right now you can't tell if it's 20,060 or 80,080, or 50,060, 60,020, etc. My camera sucks. I'm trying to get my old webcam to work to see if that helps, but given that I'm trying to get a cheap webcam to work on Linux, I'd say you'll have to rely on the honour system with me until I work something out.

Hi Guys!

I'm glad you are enjoying that game! (you are, aren't you?) :P

Just wanted to clear up a few things:

Left Difficulty Switch: 'A' - 3 lives, 'B' - 5 lives

Right Difficulty Switch: 'A' - 'New Puck-X' Maze, 'B' standard 'Pac-Man' Maze

@Larcen - you do know the maze you're playing is the 'New Puck-X' maze, not the standard Pac-Man maze, right? ;) That could be why it seems different to you. The only difference between both mazes and their arcade counterparts is the missing row near the top of the maze.

@Dauber - You are correct; the 'hiding spot' does not work in this version. It is because the maze section dimentions are 6x8 pixels instead of 8x8 like the arcade. This changes the forumla used for Blinky to find the shortest distance to get to the player.

@AtariFever - Thanks! I re-did the Intermissions to match the Pac-Man arcade game. That was the most difficult thing for me to figure out.

...am I allowed to post my score? :ponder: :D

Bob

The defualt setting for the HSC is both switches on B (left) position and standard difficulty. If you're cursious as to why, look through some of last year's HSC threads when I had the difficulty cranked to max. I think Ze_ro tried that for a while, too, and it's just not as fun that way.

To clarify the challenge, the left switch needs to be set on B and the right switch needs to be set on A. For normal HSC play, both are set to B.

Bob, if you'd like to enter scores, go right ahead! Quite frankly, I'm surpsied Ken didn't enter some last week.