IGNORED

CX-77 pen info?

cephallus

Hey all,

Does anyone know off the top of their head what exactly the plug-in pen for the touchpad does? I get readings on the pad using a generic stylus (my finger, even)...does the pen have some enhanced functionality that I'm missing?

The button on it for the click/select/pen up-down function is the only difference from using any other sylus or your finger, unless you've added a button to your finger. :)

Hey all,

Does anyone know off the top of their head what exactly the plug-in pen for the touchpad does? I get readings on the pad using a generic stylus (my finger, even)...does the pen have some enhanced functionality that I'm missing?

The button on it for the click/select/pen up-down function is the only difference from using any other sylus or your finger, unless you've added a button to your finger. :)

I'll think about it! :D Would that be considered a hardware mod?

I sort-of suspected it was something like that. I am using it with my own software (I don't have any of the Atari s/w that came with it) so I didn't have an easy way to test...

Thanks!

Hello cephallus

I am using it with my own software (I don't have any of the Atari s/w that came with it) so I didn't have an easy way to test...

The CX-77 is connected to the computer via the joystickports. Testing the joystickports shouldn't be a problem.

Greetings

Mathy

Hello cephallus

I am using it with my own software (I don't have any of the Atari s/w that came with it) so I didn't have an easy way to test...

The CX-77 is connected to the computer via the joystickports. Testing the joystickports shouldn't be a problem.

Greetings

Mathy

Hi Mathy,

I wasn't too clear...I meant that I didn't have an obvious way to know exactly what the original pen for the pad did, since I didn't have the Atari software to check and see what features I was missing without the pen. The pads I have seem to work great - I wrote some software to read the inputs from the paddle registers and produce sounds. So far it's very basic - adjusting pitch/volume from the x-y of a single pad. I'm planning to add the ability to switch voices/octaves, add effects/chords/etc (possibly by reading areas of the second pad), and record the output to machine code that can be triggered by the keyboard or other apps as pseudo-samples. I had the idea to be able to print mylar overlays for a second pad with colums like intervals (min/maj 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, etc), sound effects (stereo echo with 2nd pokey, distortion, fade, etc), pads, that kind of stuff...tapping a row in one of the columns would turn the effect on/off.

All for fun...I'll post whatever I come up with, if anyone else is interested in playing around with it.

Aaron

Hey all,

The click on the pen-button equals a 'joystick-up-signal' while the shoulder buttons of the table equals joystick left & right. AFAIR there is no difference in Atari-Artist between pen & left click, while the right click has a slightly different meaning.

CU

Irgendwer

Edited by Irgendwer