IGNORED

Super Asteroids/Missile Command question

atari2600land

Ted Hoff was in charge at that time and was getting Atari back on track by paying off bills and getting the Lynx/Jag back on track with fans.I suggested releasing Battlezone 2000 and Super Asteroids/Missle Command as a couple of unreleased Lynx titles to release a couple of times back then.Eye of the Beholder was also coming.Jack T. fired Ted in Dec. '95/Jan. '96.,because a coup was brewing within Atari with Ted and the shareholders taking it over.Time Warner too?There's the poop on it.Hope it helps you.

Edited by chris_lynx1989

I also remember now that Sam Tramiel had a heart attack in Apr. or May '95 and they got Ted Hoff to take the reins of Atari after he'd just left SEGA then,I think.There was a small story back in the day (Jan. '96) about Ted leaving Atari in Daily Variety.The coup story is true,I was told it by Lance in 1998/2000.He got it directly from Ted Hoff or John Skruch,both good friends with Lance like Don Thomas is too.Lance knew several folks at Atari Corp. well.

Why did Atari release a new Lynx game in 1995? They weren't making any games any more, except, "Gee, let's release one more?" I'd really like to hear the story behind why this was released.

Well, they released two games (Battlezone 2000 being the other), but still, your point is valid. In 94-95, retrogaming was just starting to become popular, as the GameBoy Color had a number of "retro" titles released for it. Atari I think wanted to cash in with some games that were already done and sitting on the shelf.

Not only that, but they're very good games. :) OK, the Super Asteroids game is pretty plain, but Missile Command and Battlezone are excellent.

The original '2000' version of Battlezone that Hand Made Software hid is better than the vector one Atari made them use.4 player comlynxing is a plus too! Super Missle Command is also a neat little romp as an 'evolved' game.Asteroids is sort of dull really.A 'Blasteroids' update from the arcade would've ROCKED.