IGNORED

Z26 And Windows XP

Cap5750

I don't really expect and answer to this but:

Is Z26 supposed to support long filenames? If not, are there any plans to add support for it? I ask because whenever I launch it, it only recognizes the games I have where the length of the name is less then or equal to 8. Of course, I used good2600 and renamed everything, so I get a list of about 5 games. :)

Okay, that part had not a lot to do with XP, but this next part might. :P

Whenever I start any game, I get what nearly sounds like a very flatulent (sp?) person. The games will come on, but they'll be very very slow. I'm presuming that it is either XP causing the problem by itself or a some combination of XP with my soundblaster live! soundcard. :ponder:

A shame really because at the risk of offending anyone, Z26 used to be my favorite as it most accurately ran all of my stuff. Now, I'm forced to use PCAEWIN (or whatever it is called). 'course if all else fails, I can just turn around and hook up the original to the TV and play the same thing there! :D

Thanks,

Cap

The Longfile name bit has always been present in Z26. I just renamed the bin files to something within the 8.3 format that I can recognize. As for the sound issues...yeah...that is the problem with SB Live! cards and XP under the Dos emulated command prompt window that Z26 is forced to run in. As for the speed...there is a setting that you have to use to fix this...I believe I typed something like "z26 -r120" or something like that to set the rate. You have to play with the values somewhat to get as close a match as you can to your actual Atari 2600. I have a P4 2.2ghz...and so 120 I think is what I ended up using.

I try out roms in z26 but usually either use the real think sitting next to me...or I try the rom out in CyberStella which is the replacement for the old StellaX that I used to use in NT and in XP. Might want to give that one a shot. It is listed in the emulators section of the 2600 area here.

Is Z26 supposed to support long filenames?

It deals with long filenames fine here (short names in the list, long name along the top when file selected). I believe Good2600 will change the extention of recognized files to .a26. That might throw off Z26 - you can rename back to .BIN and that might be the problem.