IGNORED

Vintropedia - Vintage Computer and Retro Console Price Guide 2009

Craig_Vintropedia

Hey Everyone, whilst covering many systems, I thought this might be rather relevant to people here since there's alot of Atari systems, software and accessories listed inside. :)

Here's some more Info on the guide:

Inside you'll find 328 pages packed with over 14,000 items across the history of the console, computer, software and accessories markets from the years 1968-1998. Information on each item covers their value (gbp), machine specifications, regions of origin, releases dates, model names, publishing companies and more! Look no further than Vintropedia, a guide created by collectors, for collectors.

For more information please visit www.vintropedia.com

We have an ebay listing, but you can also find us on amazon, waterstones etc, or through direct on paypal being the cheapest option!

Interesting. I would probably be more interested if I could see an Atari page from the book, which is something I'm much more familiar with, prices wise. But I have to admit that I'm wondering about the prices when I see a bunch of C64 cassettes listed at 15GBP. I'm sure a few are worth that, but I'd imagine most go for 2GBP or less. May just show my lack of education on the topic. The book may have some other value, beyond just being a price guide...

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, unfortunately I can't show you these example pages other than those we already have, as we'd end up with most the book on the net if people kept asking!

I can say there's over 100 Atari VCS games listed, with Obelix being one of the highest valued games, and hundreds of Atari software listed for other systems.

As for the prices, we're simply a "guide", and the items are priced at excellent condition boxed, with instructions, at which point prices for mint condition and average to poor condition items can be judged from.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, unfortunately I can't show you these example pages other than those we already have, as we'd end up with most the book on the net if people kept asking!

I can say there's over 100 Atari VCS games listed, with Obelix being one of the highest valued games, and hundreds of Atari software listed for other systems.

As for the prices, we're simply a "guide", and the items are priced at excellent condition boxed, with instructions, at which point prices for mint condition and average to poor condition items can be judged from.

Why are there only 100 VCS games listed? What research did you do to determine your prices? How involved are you in the retro community as this sales offer is the first I have ever heard of you? I'm sorry, but these books keep popping up and there really seems to be little to distinguish them from one another, so you might face a tough market here.

At 328 pages, I don't think it's a big risk nor unreasonable to provide just 1 more page or even part of 1 page that is relevant to the group you are trying to market it to. This is an Atari board, seeing some Atari examples would quickly tell us how accurate this is and if it's worth getting.

I can say there's over 100 Atari VCS games listed,

There are like over 600 games for the VCS.

with Obelix being one of the highest valued games

If this is true, then we definatly need an Atari example page. Obelix is only a rarity 7, so accuracy seems like it is already in question.

The fact that you have Obelix as one of your highest priced games has convinced me not to buy that book.

Edited by homerwannabee

At 328 pages, I don't think it's a big risk nor unreasonable to provide just 1 more page or even part of 1 page that is relevant to the group you are trying to market it to. This is an Atari board, seeing some Atari examples would quickly tell us how accurate this is and if it's worth getting.

I agree, a single page out of what should be one of the larger sections would be a strong selling tool, as long as the prices aren't obscenely out of line and the information seems to be accurate.

..Al

I agree, a single page out of what should be one of the larger sections would be a strong selling tool, as long as the prices aren't obscenely out of line and the information seems to be accurate.

..Al

Not to seem overly negative but if a R7 is in the cream of the crop in that book I think I would pass myself. That or sell the author my Obliex...lol..

Books are books. They take a long time to build, print, distribute. We can't expect them to be up to date. Fairly accurate is the best we can hope for. If we want a reasonable guide to prices and rarity, the classic collecting community has had that for years. It's called the Digital Press guide. The guide from which most others have derived most of their material.

The value in this kind of book is probably less in the Atari section, and more in the other computers, both as a checklist and as a source of pictures. I will say I'm interested, that I would love to have a compilation of all of the obscure computers it likely contains.

The shortcoming is certainly the sight unseen aspect. Most books we buy (or bought) were from brick and mortar retailers, and we could look through the book before plunking down $40 (or whatever) on a block of tree we might be stuck carrying around for a decade or two (for those of us who move around). So having no further pages for reference is a limitation. My guess is that their hardware pages will be more useful, if they are complete. That is, I haven't seen a single guide try to get ALL of the 9-pin joystick controllers together in one list. I would probably buy the book if I thought it was 90% complete in that regard. But being a UK book, they would probably list them all under the Commodore section anyway.

I am very curious about the book. I don't think scanning one page of the Atari Section would be harmful. Unless that is all there is, one page. I think Ian is Right. The Home Computer part would be the meat of this Book, But if Obelix is the Rarest of the Atari VCS, Then what of the Rarity listings, of Home Computers. If there are no more previews of this book, I will pass. If I see it at a store, I will look through it and judge then. HHW

I am very curious about the book. I don't think scanning one page of the Atari Section would be harmful. Unless that is all there is, one page. I think Ian is Right. The Home Computer part would be the meat of this Book, But if Obelix is the Rarest of the Atari VCS, Then what of the Rarity listings, of Home Computers. If there are no more previews of this book, I will pass. If I see it at a store, I will look through it and judge then. HHW

Not posting a page of the atari section is retarded. When you go to the book store to buy a book you can leaf threw it to see if it's something your intrested in buying or not. Not like all books at the store are shrink wrapped so it's a guessing game like this. Makes me think it needs to be bought by one person, scanned out for preview purposes and posted so others can judge if it's worthy of a purchase for their individual likes or not, just like at a book store.

Wolfman Tapping foot. Waiting from Scan from Shawn. :P

Hey I didn't say I was gonna do it, I said someone might. I'm not buying this book cause I know already that if the atari section is messed up (I.E. Obliex being R10 price status) than the book is no good to me cause it would be all about what in there about atari as I don't care much for vintage computers which is the main focus of this book from what I've gathered.

Books are books. They take a long time to build, print, distribute. We can't expect them to be up to date. Fairly accurate is the best we can hope for. If we want a reasonable guide to prices and rarity, the classic collecting community has had that for years. It's called the Digital Press guide. The guide from which most others have derived most of their material.

The value in this kind of book is probably less in the Atari section, and more in the other computers, both as a checklist and as a source of pictures. I will say I'm interested, that I would love to have a compilation of all of the obscure computers it likely contains.

It's not so much an issue of it's value to Atari people, but as a frame of reference to get an idea of how the rest of the book is. It makes sense to use Atari as a reference here because we're Atari people, and can quickly see how complete/accurate those sections are, which reflects on the completeness/accuracy of the rest of it.

After all, when we flip the page and start looking at the Obscure-O-Tron 8000 computer, that no one has ever heard of, and they list only 10 games, how do we know that's right or even close. By checking the sections we have heard of and know what is right. If those are right/close, I'll can assume the rest of the book is too.

BUT, since it seems like, from what we know so far;

- the Atari VCS section is possibly very incomplete and not particularly value/rarity accurate

- the C64 software is over priced and thus not accurate

I'd just as well assume the rest of the book would follow suit. Without more relevent examples or being able to flip through it in person, one has no reason to believe otherwise.

Hey I didn't say I was gonna do it, I said someone might. I'm not buying this book cause I know already that if the atari section is messed up (I.E. Obliex being R10 price status) than the book is no good to me cause it would be all about what in there about atari as I don't care much for vintage computers which is the main focus of this book from what I've gathered.

So when are the scans coming. :? :D

So when are the scans coming. :? :D

soon enough :P

It seems everybody is trying to write price guides for videogames nowadays. I can see the importance in some of the sections possibly. I don't think C64 has ever really had a good price guide by itself. I'm sure a book specific to all things C64 or Commodore in general would sell, if it was accurate. But these all-in-one jobs that are short on info, and really just rehashes of the info that is readily available online at Atariage, Atarimania, Digital Press, and the like, are a waste of ink & money IMHO. I think the people who are writing them are short on knowledge and personal opinion from a years worth of ebay tracking makes for inaccurate publications.

<---------------- NTSC Atari 99.9% complete! Computers 0

I think there is a market for computers Jason. That's one of the good things about your book, you don't want to bit off more than you can chew. Going into the computer side of things really opens up the flood gates for information, more than any one book could contain, IMO. I'd be interested to see a guide just for Commodore, just for the Atari 8/16 bits, etc, but to try and cram everything into one guide is just not possible. This vintropedia is marketed as the worlds most comprehensive guide, with 14,000 listings, yet from the above comments, I'm sure it's probably missing tons. Someone want to take a wild guess to the number of Commodore games existing? I'd guess it's close to 14,000 by itself if you count the various formats changes that exist. :ponder:

Please, nobody post scans unless you have permission to do so. Do post your opinions of the book once you've seen it, though.

Thanks,

..Al

I'm not gonna Al, it was just a joke and also ment to point out how easy anyone could just buy the book and post it online.