IGNORED

Odd 130XE video problem - help required!

NuY

Here's an interesting problem.

I have a 130XE PAL (not sure which rev, I've not had it to bits other than to replace the keyboard, the sticker on the bottom says made in Taiwan if that makes any difference) along with a 19" Samsung widescreen LCD TV which has both S-Video and Composite inputs. I have a 5 pin DIN to S-Video plus 2 phono connectors cable, as well as a 5-pin DIN to 4 phonos for compositeand chroma/luma/audio. With either of these cables connected up to the LCD TV, I get a picture that has loads of vertical lines down it, in colour. Adjusting the pot on the underside of the 130XE alters the lines slightly, but doesn't get rid of them. I want to try and get rid of these, but have no clue how.

Anyway, I was getting a bit annoyed with the lines, so I picked up an old Commodore 1084S monitor. This has seperate chroma and luma inputs as phono jacks.

When connecting up the Atari to this, I get a perfect greyscale image, but can't get any colour displayed at all. I know the cable works, as I get a colour signal (however bad) on the LCD TV. I also have an XEGS with phono out for composite, and this works perfectly on both the LCD TV and the 1084S.

I have no clue how to get this working. The monitor doesn't seem to be at fault, as it recieves colour from the XEGS, and the cable seems fine as I get colour on the LCD TV.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Edited by NuY

I have a 130XE PAL (not sure which rev, I've not had it to bits other than to replace the keyboard, the sticker on the bottom says made in Taiwan if that makes any difference) along with a 19" Samsung widescreen LCD TV which has both S-Video and Composite inputs. I have a 5 pin DIN to S-Video plus 2 phono connectors cable, as well as a 5-pin DIN to 4 phonos for compositeand chroma/luma/audio. With either of these cables connected up to the LCD TV, I get a picture that has loads of vertical lines down it, in colour. Adjusting the pot on the underside of the 130XE alters the lines slightly, but doesn't get rid of them. I want to try and get rid of these, but have no clue how.

Anyway, I was getting a bit annoyed with the lines, so I picked up an old Commodore 1084S monitor. This has seperate chroma and luma inputs as phono jacks.

When connecting up the Atari to this, I get a perfect greyscale image, but can't get any colour displayed at all. I know the cable works, as I get a colour signal (however bad) on the LCD TV. I also have an XEGS with phono out for composite, and this works perfectly on both the LCD TV and the 1084S.

Since I do not know if your 1084S is PAL capable, I think it is most likely because you are trying to a PAL signal on a NTSC monitor. I have a PAL 600xl and it only displays grey on my 1702. On my Samsung LCD display, the PAL 600xl is color and clear. I have removed its PAL Antic and put it in a regular 130xe and the display is no longer clear on my Samsung for either the PAL 600xl w/ NTSC Antic or NTSC 130xe with PAL Antic.

Yep, the 1084S and the Samsung monitor are both PAL compatible, I've tested the 1084S with my PAL XEGS which is fine, no roll or anything and the colour signal is spot on, and I've tested with a C64 and an Amiga (both PAL) and both are outputting fine to the 1084S.

Edited by NuY

Hi,

My question then goes the other way.. It has the PAL sticker or other marking on the 130XE right?

And,

Do you get the lines using RF? Composite?

Rick D.

Here's an interesting problem.

I have no clue how to get this working. The monitor doesn't seem to be at fault, as it recieves colour from the XEGS, and the cable seems fine as I get colour on the LCD TV.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Hmmm... I've seen this before and specifically on a Commodore 1084S.

Essentially what it was for me was that computer at the time was outputting NTSC (even though I thought it was PAL). Checking it on my LCD TV (which will autosense) it would detect it as PAL and give the colour output. More digging revealed that the signal generated was actually NTSC but the colour clock crystal was at 4.43MHz as such the encoding of the colour data was incorrect. The LCD TV was able to figure this out but the 1084S wasn't. As such I got B&W on the 1084S but colour on the LCD - and it reported PAL!

Took me ages to figure out what was going on - previously the system was attempted to be converted to PAL by just replacing the crystal (there's more to it that that).

Hi,

My question then goes the other way.. It has the PAL sticker or other marking on the 130XE right?

And,

Do you get the lines using RF? Composite?

Rick D.

I don't actually have any stickers on it saying what region it is :) However, my Yoomp! cartridge detects as PAL, so I'd assume that's fairly accurate.

I get the lines vertically when using chroma/luma through S-Video, but not through compooste. On RF, the lines are there but are very faint. The greyscale picture from the luma is beautifully sharp, its when the chroma is then plugged in that the lines are all over the shop. It's actually a bit more than lines, it's almost a checkerboard pattern of small dots all the way down the screen. If I can get my camera working, I'll take a shot and post it in this thread.

Shaun

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Hmmm... I've seen this before and specifically on a Commodore 1084S.

Essentially what it was for me was that computer at the time was outputting NTSC (even though I thought it was PAL). Checking it on my LCD TV (which will autosense) it would detect it as PAL and give the colour output. More digging revealed that the signal generated was actually NTSC but the colour clock crystal was at 4.43MHz as such the encoding of the colour data was incorrect. The LCD TV was able to figure this out but the 1084S wasn't. As such I got B&W on the 1084S but colour on the LCD - and it reported PAL!

Took me ages to figure out what was going on - previously the system was attempted to be converted to PAL by just replacing the crystal (there's more to it that that).

Now that's bizarre... I have no idea if that was ever attempted on this machine, I only got it about a year ago from Atari Shop in Holland. What's interesting though is that if I alter the colour pot on the bottom of the 130XE, the picture on the telly goes all fuzzy and the colours go completely out of sync as I turn it round. It's only steady at the extreme anti-clockwise turn. No idea if that's anything to do with anything...