IGNORED

Anyone think Ballblazer is possible on the 2600?

The only idea I have, is flickering the window there. But then you should make sure, that the window is always within the static sky area, not the scrolling playfield. Else it would look odd.

I think the window will be too small if I put it in the sky only. But have to do some code management first, as I only have $1e4 bytes left for sprite data. I'm going to spread the kernel over 2 banks.

What about "venetian blinds"... just blank out some of every second scanline's worth of Player data where the window should be. More plausible than a see-through craft with no driver visible.

If I can put the windows in it, (checkerboard part is where it gets difficult) that should be possible too.

What about "venetian blinds"... just blank out some of every second scanline's worth of Player data where the window should be. More plausible than a see-through craft with no driver visible.

If I can put the windows in it, (checkerboard part is where it gets difficult) that should be possible too.

I believe the original just used a ligher and darker shade of the same rotofoil color, for the windows. The weren't translucent, at least on the Atari computer versions. I seem to remember you said that you are going to use the playfield for the plasma ball, or I was going to suggest trying to use different sized overlay BALL graphics to simulate the windows.

--Selgus

I believe the original just used a ligher and darker shade of the same rotofoil color, for the windows. The weren't translucent, at least on the Atari computer versions. I seem to remember you said that you are going to use the playfield for the plasma ball, or I was going to suggest trying to use different sized overlay BALL graphics to simulate the windows.

--Selgus

I'm not sure yet. To make a fancy window, it really has to be in the sky part. So the window would be very small.

I've now chosen to free up as much memory as possible for sprite templates. Every other line of the checkerboard kernel was an unrolled routine for the sprites. Now I've changed it into JSR/RTS for reuse of code, saving about $700 bytes. I think this is at least a way to get the drones (back/front/side) and goals in it. The sky part is now 1 time critical kernel too, saving another few bytes, and making the sprite routine cleaner. You can see that when you zoom in too much.

In this version I've used 'venetian blinds' for the window. It is a very big window, because this way it doesn't use extra cycles. A mid-roof window would need an extra creation of that window and xor it out of the original drone.

ballblazer_venetian_blinds.bin

Edited by roland p
  • Like 1

If you wanted to get REALLY fancy, you could animate the window "blinds" so they appeared to be a reflection of the grid itself.

But there's probably not enough free time/RAM to do that.

LOL, or maybe I should render some clouds in the window :D

Btw. venetian blind glasses were funny :cool:

I should clarify that I meant horizontal lines only. EG-- instead of a fixed every-other-line fill pattern, a vaguely perspective-looking set of lines that animate up/down as the rotofoil moves back and forth on the grid.

Again, probably not possible. But in general it's the sort of effect that elevates a graphical approach from "we had to do it that way" to "we meant to do it that way". Much like many of the design decisions in the original Ballblazer itself.

I'm picturing this in my head, and it looks bad.

652236875_3f09fa621e_m.jpg

LOL!

If you wanted to get REALLY fancy, you could animate the window "blinds" so they appeared to be a reflection of the grid itself.

But there's probably not enough free time/RAM to do that.

hehehe...

Actually, it looks pretty good, but who the hell's driving the damn thing (midget?)?? hahaha

Edited by MrFish

I just went through this thread and downloaded all the binaries. It's amazing how this thing came together.

As one not being totally familiar with the 2600's capabilities, I have a question. Is it possible for the areas outside the checkerboard to be solid colors? I think the sky and boarder areas looked better solid...

In this version I've used 'venetian blinds' for the window. It is a very big window, because this way it doesn't use extra cycles. A mid-roof window would need an extra creation of that window and xor it out of the original drone.

That is simply amazing.

New update:

- Side views of rotofoil are now included, move your drone with Y,G,H,J (Stella) (Warning, the bin can crash if you run into a rotofoil)

- Black bars are now reduced, as the tile code is now included in the sky-kernel. Some black lines are still visible due to horizontal sprite positioning and rotofoil sprite decision logic.

- I've used some masking to mask out the top of the rotofoil. This mask is also used for generating side views of the rotofoil, some distortion can be seen in the center of the rotofoil when it is viewed from the side.

ballblazer_rotofoil_test.bin

source.zip

• Like 1

New update:

- Side views of rotofoil are now included, move your drone with Y,G,H,J (Stella) (Warning, the bin can crash if you run into a rotofoil)

- Black bars are now reduced, as the tile code is now included in the sky-kernel. Some black lines are still visible due to horizontal sprite positioning and rotofoil sprite decision logic.

- I've used some masking to mask out the top of the rotofoil. This mask is also used for generating side views of the rotofoil, some distortion can be seen in the center of the rotofoil when it is viewed from the side.

Is this crash an emulator thing caused by Stella, or is it something you're doing in your code? If it's a Stella thing, I would appreciate a bug report and a sequence of events that will reliably duplicate this behaviour.

Is this crash an emulator thing caused by Stella, or is it something you're doing in your code? If it's a Stella thing, I would appreciate a bug report and a sequence of events that will reliably duplicate this behaviour.

It didn't crash for me running stella 2.7.3 under Linux, so it might be something specific to the Win32 version (if that was the version showing the crash).

--Selgus

Well, this version happens not to crash. But the versions that did crash, probably crashed due to jmps to nowhere land, or read of an address that causes a bankswitch when it's not intended.

If I find a stella bug, I'll definitly try to track it down and report it to you.

Edited by roland p

Well, this version happens not to crash. But the versions that did crash, probably crashed due to jmps to nowhere land, or read of an address that causes a bankswitch when it's not intended.

If I find a stella bug, I'll definitly try to track it down and report it to you.

OK, thanks in advance for any reports. And just to be clear to everyone, a game doing weird things (like the examples you mentioned above) should never cause Stella to crash. It may cause the ROM to stop working, or lock up in the debugger, but the Stella application itself should never lock up or fail to respond to input. If it does, then it's definitely a bug.

Put another way, even if a ROM did weird/illegal things on a real system, it would never cause the console to power down or explode, or anything like that :) This is the equivalent to Stella crashing with a ROM; it should just never happen.