IGNORED

Countdown till the best game ever.....

I've got it pre-ordered.

Looks amazing.

I'm going to get the uber-Collectors edition with everything from the Collectors Edition plus the Pip-Boy replica. I heard Australia is getting an edition with a Vault Boy keychain..............I want a Vault Boy keychain. :x

Ever since the first Fallout, I came to the conclusion that it was the best series ever created.......disregarding the two off-shoots, Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel (which I returned 20 minutes after playing....that game had me practically raving mad.....how much can you tar and feather a wonderful series).

This game will breath new life into the community and gaming as a whole, I believe. I could care less about the people complaining that it's an Oblivion rip-off. I guess any game that plays the same as Oblivion will be labelled a rip-off.

Yea! It's Oblivion with a Fallout skin! Sigh...

Pass...

Tempest

:ponder:

Ummm....no.......

Looks suspiciously like it to me. I'm not thrilled with the new 3-D engine and 'real time' elements. I want the old 3/4ths overhead view with turn based combat (i'm not buying the VATS system) or it ain't Fallout to me.

Tempest

Well.....check out some of the new footage.....it didn't feel like Fallout at first glance but more and more of it is feeling like Fallout to me. Check out the Super-Duper Mart clip.

Plus, it seems to have all the personality of the first two.....so that helps even more.

Hey, that actually sounds pretty good to me! I loved Oblivion!

Off topic, but if anyone really digs Oblivion they might want to check out Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

I've heard terrible things about this game, but I'm here to tell you, its a pretty decent Oblivion rip-off. Sure it's short, way more linear, not as many classses (only 3 ), the AI dialog is redundant and the customization sucks, but the gameplay is VERY much like Oblivion and in fact the graphics might even be better. I also like the fact you can kick people. Someone is too close to an edge of a cliff, sneak up behind them, give them a quick boot and off they go. Great fun. The game isn't worth full price but at $20 it's a steal. It wont replace Oblivion, but it's a nice way to pass the time for a few days if you dig RPGs.

Off topic, but if anyone really digs Oblivion they might want to check out Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

I absolutely loved Oblivion. Mentioning it in the same sentence as Dark Messiah of Might and Magic:Elements is a horrible insult to Oblivion. It would be better to say that DM M&M:E is actually nothing like Oblivion other than the fact you have a sword and are able to move around. It's Doom with a sword, it's not an RPG in any sense.

DM M&M suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Really. It's bad. I wouldn't play it for free.

I absolutely loved Oblivion. Mentioning it in the same sentence as Dark Messiah of Might and Magic:Elements is a horrible insult to Oblivion. It would be better to say that DM M&M:E is actually nothing like Oblivion other than the fact you have a sword and are able to move around. It's Doom with a sword, it's not an RPG in any sense.

DM M&M suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Really. It's bad. I wouldn't play it for free.

Hmmm I played through the game DM : MM twice and played Oblivion for like 120 hours. I feel like I know both games pretty well. The game played similar to Oblivion to me. Granted it was stripped down to the bare gameplay, but I dunno why anyone would say the gameplay sucks. It's very similar to Oblivion. First person realtime combat. I already stated it was no where near as deep as Oblivion, but what was terrible about the way DMoMM played compared to the way Oblivion played and why exactly would anyone say a game sucked and then in the same sentence say it was like Doom!! Doom is freakin AWESOME!! :P

why exactly would anyone say a game sucked and then in the same sentence say it was like Doom!! Doom is freakin AWESOME!! :P

Yes Doom is awesome, of that there is no doubt. :cool:

But calling a bog simple 100% linear FPS with a sword and no story line or practically any other RPG elements behind it (i.e. DM M&M:E) an RPG , and no less comparing it to one of the best RPGs ever (Oblivion) is an insult. Even having the M&M brand as part of its name, and associated with that lineage is a travesty.

If they had called it 'Some guy does nothing but run in a straight line and whack things with a sword until you've had enough and just drop the controller' then at least people would have known what to expect.

and no less comparing it to one of the best RPGs ever (Oblivion) is an insult.

Actually I only compared the gameplay. The overall game itself is a shell of Oblivion and I stated that. It's mearly a handful of linear quests (Pick 7 or 8 of the main quests from Oblivion and there ya go) but it plays a lot like Oblivion and in some cases is better. For instance in Oblivion I don't recall being able to climb ropes. Even better in DM : MM you have a crossbow with an arrow trailing a rope that can be used to access secret areas or simply move on to other areas. I already mentioned the ability to sneak up and kick unsuspecting people to their doom (very fun), I also like the fact that your enemy gets lame after you beat on them enough, they start limping and sometimes try to get away, did they do that in Oblivion? I cant recall. The few times you do get to upgrade is very cool as well, finding metal, heating it, hammering it, cooling it and forging a sword is pretty keen, much better than just choosing a bunch of stuff and pushing a button.

The RPG elements (customizing etc...) in DMoMM are poor I'll agree with that. They consist of getting auto upgrades at certain levels nothing more. The killer graphics and gameplay however are there and they look and play fantastic. I thought of it as a non thinking mans Oblivion expansion. Perfect for someone who has beat Oblivion up one side and down the other and still want more. It's a very enjoyable way to spend a few hours (The game can be beaten very quickly) I definitely say it worth a rental or a purchase on the cheap. Obviously Oblivion was worth every penny of the $69.99 I paid for it. I wouldn't say the same thing about DMoMM, I'd have been very pissed if I had paid that much but, insult or not, I stand by the fact actual gameplay is similar and it's a gem at $20. I got a hella lot more enjoyment out of it than Penny Press RPG from Xbox Arcade. :thumbsup:

It should be noted I've stated on these forums in the past that Oblivion was one of the greatest games I've ever played. I don't think DMoMM is even close to the game Oblivion is. Still...If Fallout 3 is similar to Oblivion in many ways I won't complain in the least. Hell if they released a dozen more Oblivion expansions, I'd buy em all. (I still wont buy that damn horse armor though!!) I'm usually more a fan of sword and sorcery RPGs but after playing Mass Effect and seeing the videos for Fallout 3, I knew I'd have to get it. I only hope the game is half as deep as Oblivion and if it is, I'll get my moneys worth.

Edited by moycon

I'm a bit rusty on my Fallout canon, too. Haven't played either for about 7 years by now. I bought my 360 just for this game.............I can't friggin' wait. I read in EGM that they said it had over 200 different ending sequences and was just as big as Oblivion, map-wise and such.

The first thing I'm hoping to see when I play is a little kid throwing rocks at me...........then I'll blow 'em away and get the 'Child Murderer' perk. Oh....those were the days.............

Hey now! I _liked_ Brotherhood of Steel. Sure it's an RPG-lite. That thing did suck me in though and led to me ignoring my wife (then girlfriend) for about 5 days. :D

I'm never excited about paying full price for stuff like this -- is there any preorder goodness that are worth looking at?

Hex.

[ Needs the motivator to actually UNBOX his XBox 360... Now that is laziness. ]

I think I'm going to have to wait for the reviews on this.

I started playing brotherhood of steel on xbox, but it was such a chore--not as much of a chore as morrowind, and the new fallout's going to be by the same folks? Great, just wait for the reviews, I suppose... I'm hopeful that this will get me interested in a ps3. (I had previously though 360 would be my choice, but ps3 has the edge now)

I really do like the idea of a new fallout game. The big question is if this is actually going to be a fallout game.

I think Gamestop has the better pre-order deal.

You get a poster and a Fallout 3 soundtrack with all the classic songs from the first two and some new songs for part three.

Best Buy has a neat offer but I'll buy their promo off E-bay or something:

It's a Nuka Cola bottle opener and a $5 off coupon.