IGNORED

Noob alert

Mongy

Like so many of you, I grew up on Atari, right from the 2600 I got for Xmas in 1979 when i was 12 to the 1040STe that I ran a BBS on in the the late 80's....after that I gave in to the PC based machines.

Anyways, I bought an 800xl and a 1050 drive (back in the 80's I had 400 then a 65xe than finally a 130xe as far as 8 bits were concerned) so I could get some of the old software and play it as it was meant to be played. I have used emulators and altho it was enjoyable, im sure most of you know what im talking about....nothing like the old machines!!!

Now that I have this base, what else should I do, i see most of you have added on to your 8bit and added all sorts of stuff!!!

Where do I start???

Edited by Mongy

Welcome aboard. Keep a tight hold on your cheque book.

1- S-video mod

2- SIO2PC from Atarimax

3- memory upgrade

Enjoy

So with the SIO2PC from Atarimax i can access my hd from a pc with my 800xl? I can play roms or whatever i have on those hds? Do i need an extra sio cable?

direct me to the s video and memory upgrade!!!?

Edited by Mongy

Welcome aboard. Keep a tight hold on your cheque book.

1- S-video mod

2- SIO2PC from Atarimax

3- memory upgrade

Enjoy

So with the SIO2PC from Atarimax i can access my hd from a pc with my 800xl? I can play roms or whatever i have on those hds? Do i need an extra sio cable?

direct me to the s video and memory upgrade!!!?

Correct, turn your PC into a huge HDD for your Atari, but also use a PC printer and get your atari onto Telnet etc etc etc.

You need an SIO cable for sure, It is up to you if you buy another or share the one from your 1050, but you may like to copy discs etc so 2 SIO cables would be handy. SIO2PC is a must have IMO.

A neater solution that does not require a PC being next to your Atari is the SIO2SD, even though I own one of these excellent devices I would still recommend SIO2PC as a must have Buy SIO2SD

There are various memory upgrades depending on your level of soldering skills. I have done the WIZTRONICS 256K 130 XE compatible upgrade which is a kit available from Best Electronics (you will hear nothing but good about Bradley Koda)

Another option is the 512K upgrade from MegaHz

For an 800XL Video Upgrade, I have done Brians Quick + Easy video upgrade to several computers. You will have to buy/make an s-video cable as well.

This gets VERY addictive :twisted:

A neater solution that does not require a PC being next to your Atari is the SIO2SD, even though I own one of these excellent devices I would still recommend SIO2PC as a must have Buy SIO2SD

Another seller of SIO2SD is AtariAge user Pigula (LINK); he knows English and I have bought mine from him.

I too recommend SIO2PC from AtariAge user classics (http://www.atarimax.com/); I have USB version.

Edited by Philsan