IGNORED

Anyone know what can cause A8 carts to die?

Ross PK

98% chance that it'll work again.

First, with the computer off, blow out the dust from the cartridge connector inside the computer.

Turn the whole computer & shake it, to make sure that there are no warrens of dust bunnies living in there, when doing so.

Now, just unscrew the cartridge case, then clean all of the gold contacts with the pink eraser end of a brand new #2 pencil. Be sure to blow out all of the eraser residue. Reassemble. Plug in. Turn on.

Should now work. If not, with the power off, insert & detach the cartridge 20 times.

If that doesn't clear up the problem, swab some alcohol on the cartridge's connector (thickly, so it is wet). With the computer off, try the above mentioned 20 times trick. Blow into the cartridge port, wait 30 seconds. Turn it on.

This will clear up most cartridge problems.

If the above procedure doesn't work, then the cartridge is pretty screwed, and will require additional troubleshooting, which may be beyond your ken.

See the pinned "Tricks & Tips for Restoration" for other info on bringing your system out of mothballs.

L8R.

I don't have a dead cartridge, but thanks. I do have some carts which don't always work first time, especially Moon Patrol, I have to plug it into the computer and take it out several times before I can get it to work.

Do you or anyone know how to unscrew the brown official Atari carts? I've tried but the screws are always too damned tight.

98% chance that it'll work again.

First, with the computer off, blow out the dust from the cartridge connector inside the computer.

Turn the whole computer & shake it, to make sure that there are no warrens of dust bunnies living in there, when doing so.

Now, just unscrew the cartridge case, then clean all of the gold contacts with the pink eraser end of a brand new #2 pencil. Be sure to blow out all of the eraser residue. Reassemble. Plug in. Turn on.

Should now work. If not, with the power off, insert & detach the cartridge 20 times.

If that doesn't clear up the problem, swab some alcohol on the cartridge's connector (thickly, so it is wet). With the computer off, try the above mentioned 20 times trick. Blow into the cartridge port, wait 30 seconds. Turn it on.

This will clear up most cartridge problems.

If the above procedure doesn't work, then the cartridge is pretty screwed, and will require additional troubleshooting, which may be beyond your ken.

See the pinned "Tricks & Tips for Restoration" for other info on bringing your system out of mothballs.

L8R.

That's pretty good. Throw in that using a flat screw driver to rub the contacts if cartridge has thick dust or some oxidation effect.