IGNORED

ST desktop computing

Christos

Cross posting from atari forum..

Hi,

I understand it's 2008, I understand that the ST/TT/Falcon line is as obsolete as it can be, I understand that noone in his right mind would want to use the ST as a full computer. But still, I find that doing some everyday tasks on my Ataris makes those tasks more fun. I also find that some people would like to do some stuff on their ataris but the process of finding the applications, installing them and working with them is tedious to say the least. So I thought of making a type of "Distro" with preconfigured applications. Mainly a big zip file that you can unzip on you c: and have a fully working computer the next minute (or a couple of hours for the unzipping :P). This wip has now reached to a stalled level. I don't really know what other applications to add.. So I have a few questions:

1. Would you install it?

2. Would such a thing help you use your atari more?

3. I'd prefer to use freeware, pd or opensource apps. Any suggestions?

So, help me design a distro.

1. Maybe, maybe not. I'd definitely recommend it to any people I help :) (perhaps I'll grab some goodies which are not installed yet on my machines!)

2. Nope. Ataris take most of my time anyway ;)

3. Big can o'worms there. OTOH if we could add novelty "abandonware" apps (only if we can't find any decent PD counterpart), then I'd be open for discussion about it...