IGNORED

systems in the dishwasher ?

AtariKen64

Hi

ok not specifically about the 2600 but could be applied .

i was taking apart a system to clean it so i could take extra care in getting the dirt out of the cracks of a poor neglected console when i realized hat probably most consoles casings can completly detach for the electrnic part which made me think

would it be safe to put a casing iinto a dishwasher to completly clean it?

face it, outside of the NES every system has dozens of useless lines, ridges, fold and etc that have dirt built up in them forever.

i dont have a dishwasher or wanted to risk ruining the only casing i had for this system. but i know peopel out there have dozens just stiing there and could probably sacricie one in the name of science. and if it works then well let the good times roll!

howdy!

I dunno about sticking it in the dishwasher, but if you kept it on cold water there shouldnt be a problem with it.

I used to take apart my 2600 every so often and wash it with dish soap, warm water, a rag and a toothbrush! (ok, maybe i got a bit obsessive!) and of course when its all shiney and clean soak it down with the plastic protectant of your choice! just be sure the inside is totally dry and that none of the protectant drips into the case and onto the board. Umm... i hope i dont have to say to please remove all the electronics way before you get anywhere near the water!!

One more thing... if you have a very dusty house or lots of pets you might think about a cover for your console... i made one for my 2600 and my 7800 out of vinyl! keeps it clean for those "Atari Wars" nights with your friends! :-)

have fun!

Tify

No, it does not explicitly state right there on the case that it is dishwasher safe. But since many of us have done it with great success, I would imagine that unless your dishwasher uses REALLY REALLY REALLY HOT water everything will be fine.

We could start a whole list of things that CAN be used in ways they do not state that they can be used:

I looked all over my carpet and no where does it say that I can walk on it safely.

I looked all over my banana and no where does it say that it is non-toxic.

I looked all over my table and no where does it say that it will support the weight of a lamp and a beer.

I will be willing to shove an extra nes in the dishwasher, i mean what could it hurt? i think a deformed nes would be cool, just put it on e-bay, and say it is some rare mess-up by th factory, you will be getting 10.00 bids all over the place. Just kidding.

I will write how it turns out.

expect me back in about two-three days..

I actually just cleaned a four switcher in this manner not long ago. I stuck it all on the top rack and had the serial number label facing up so that water wouldn't hit directly. I then took it out after the rinse cycle for it to air dry...since we use heated dry.

About 30 minutes later it looked like new...however the Atari fuji got washed off...so the woodgrain is just woodgrain. Still it survived and looked good.