IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection (ColecoVision) completed. Going beta test

opcode

Hi Eduardo.

I am very sorry to see and hear that. :sad:

I'm hosting the site for CollectorVision.

I will remove the pictures as quick as possible.

Just to let you know i also working with pictures myself, but i can certainly guarantee that I have not worked with the displayed images.

Hope you understand.

Ole Nielsen.

I guess I'm confused by this Mario Bros issue. Eduardo did you post programming code somewhere that was "stolen" and now being produced/released by someone else?

No, this controversy is just about the graphics used on CollectorVision's web site. The actual graphics in the actual CV Mario Bros game are quite different from those mockups, and Eduardo wasn't involved in them in any way.

retroillucid just needs to post new screenshots taken from his game, instead of those old mockups which "reused" graphics made and posted here by Eduardo several years ago.

No big deal. :)

I guess I'm confused by this Mario Bros issue. Eduardo did you post programming code somewhere that was "stolen" and now being produced/released by someone else?

No, this controversy is just about the graphics used on CollectorVision's web site. The actual graphics in the actual CV Mario Bros game are quite different from those mockups, and Eduardo wasn't involved in them in any way.

retroillucid just needs to post new screenshots taken from his game, instead of those old mockups which "reused" graphics made and posted here by Eduardo several years ago.

Big deal actually. If I cannot post previews here fearing that people will use them in their own projects, I will simply stop doing so.

You see, many companies today, Nintendo for instance, don't reveal their games in advance anymore fearing that other companies will steal the ideas. The nice thing about homebrews is that we can share the whole creation process with others in "real time", as we develop the games.

I am fine with many things, as I said before, I have no exclusive rights for the games I port, so anybody is entitled to re-convert them even after we have released our version. I mean, if retroillucid says that he wants to create a new port of Pac-Man, that is fine, since none of us create the original game and none of us holds the rights for the game. It's all hobby after all, and everyone here has the same rights to fulfill their personal dreams.

Anyway, while my ethics can be questionable, as I admit that I have violated other companies' properties porting those games, I have always respected other homebrewers' work. While I was working on Space Invaders Collection, John released Space Invasion. I didn't know he was working on a port, he didn't know about my port either. Once he released his game I halted SIC. A couple of years later I realized that we were aiming for different goals so I decided to finish and release SIC. However I didn't use any of his code or his art. My version came straight from the arcade code and graphics.

So what I am trying to say is that if retroillucid wants to port Mario Bros, good for him and for all CV fans that will finally be able to play the game, but please, don't use my graphics without my permission.

BTW, retroillucid, your message box is full, I cannot contact you...

I saw those screenshots for Mario Bros.- did you use the "flicker method" for the multi-colored characters?

Don't forget that an arcade to home translation doesn't have to be 100% perfect, if a CV won't allow it. Your Ms. Pac-Man does not have multi-colored mazes, since getting the "exact" shape and numbers of dots would not have been possible, but none of us are complaining. Likewise for Rally-X; if it scrolls smoothly, it looks good enough as is. The flicker method you used already goes beyond what a CV can normally do.

I just hope my copy of PMC finally gets here.

Big deal actually. If I cannot post previews here fearing that people will use them in their own projects, I will simply stop doing so.

You see, many companies today, Nintendo for instance, don't reveal their games in advance anymore fearing that other companies will steal the ideas. The nice thing about homebrews is that we can share the whole creation process with others in "real time", as we develop the games.

I am fine with many things, as I said before, I have no exclusive rights for the games I port, so anybody is entitled to re-convert them even after we have released our version. I mean, if retroillucid says that he wants to create a new port of Pac-Man, that is fine, since none of us create the original game and none of us holds the rights for the game. It's all hobby after all, and everyone here has the same rights to fulfill their personal dreams.

Anyway, while my ethics can be questionable, as I admit that I have violated other companies' properties porting those games, I have always respected other homebrewers' work. While I was working on Space Invaders Collection, John released Space Invasion. I didn't know he was working on a port, he didn't know about my port either. Once he released his game I halted SIC. A couple of years later I realized that we were aiming for different goals so I decided to finish and release SIC. However I didn't use any of his code or his art. My version came straight from the arcade code and graphics.

So what I am trying to say is that if retroillucid wants to port Mario Bros, good for him and for all CV fans that will finally be able to play the game, but please, don't use my graphics without my permission.

BTW, retroillucid, your message box is full, I cannot contact you...

Ok, I'll try to express myself the better as I can.. (My native language is French)

First, Awhile ago, Eduardo was supposed to retired from the Homebrew Scene... That was the main factor for me for making Mario Bros for CV... That's true that I use your screen mockup as a base for making my own.... But, I was going to upgrade it (see pics) ... Well, I'm very sorry Eduardo.. I just don't want to upset you or any Opcode members... I was just willing to offer Mario Bros for all CV fans out there... As for the Collectorvision Logo... well.. I'm guilty, that's true that I modified your Colecovision logo from your new Bios... Again Sorry..

All I can say is, I will no more use any of your works anymore... lesson learned.

I just don't want you think that only have to steal "others" works and make it programed.. I've put alot of work in Mario Bros, I've redone the entire game from scratch, and spend countless hours on this project

Sorry Eduardo, sincerly

J-F AKA retroillucid

(Images are from the very first Beta)

post-11933-1236454843_thumb.jpg

post-11933-1236454870_thumb.jpg

post-11933-1236454904_thumb.jpg

I saw those screenshots for Mario Bros.- did you use the "flicker method" for the multi-colored characters?

Yeah, the idea was to use an advanced version of the sprite driver I created for PMC. With up to 6 dual color characters per scanline flickering isn't that bad (around 20Hz). I remember that I disassembled the arcade game and it rarely goes beyond that (more than 6 characters per scanline).

Anyway I am curious to see which kind of solutions retroillucid can bring to the Mario Bros puzzle.

Don't forget that an arcade to home translation doesn't have to be 100% perfect, if a CV won't allow it.

Usually it cannot be. What I try to do is to keep the gameplay as intact as possible. That means porting each routine from the arcade version to the CV.

Your Ms. Pac-Man does not have multi-colored mazes, since getting the "exact" shape and numbers of dots would not have been possible, but none of us are complaining.

Again, I used the philosophy that gameplay comes first.

Likewise for Rally-X; if it scrolls smoothly, it looks good enough as is.

In this particular case (Rally-X), yes, it scrolls smoothly. But that isn't always possible. In some cases, like with Elevator Action, smooth scroll would compromise gameplay and graphics too much. But so is life for classic gaming fans, we live on compromise. :)

Finally received my copy.

It's really great- esp. since the Lee Pattern works (mostly) for Pac-Man Plus.

I'm curious- why are the Galaxian symbols Red, Blue, and Yellow on the side, but not on the playfield? And so the keys are different, too.

The control is the best I've played yet. Even with my digital controller, the 5200 versions do not play as well.

Great going, everyone!

:D

I'm curious- why are the Galaxian symbols Red, Blue, and Yellow on the side, but not on the playfield? And so the keys are different, too.

Unless I'm mistaken, the bonus symbols on the side of the screen are made with background tiles, while those that appear in the maze are sprites. So any differences you see between the two reflect the limitations of the ColecoVision hardware.

EDIT: CARTRIDGE STEALER, I would check my PMs if I were you... Don't come crying to me if you miss this opportunity!

Edited by Pixelboy

Got my copy.

I must say, this is the finest example of game programing yet on the Colecovision yet. I would dare say it is the finest example of porting an arcade game to any console (only thing that MIGHT be better, is emulation and even that has issues.

The game play is fast and responsive. The typical "slug-like" response of most games developed in the CV heydey is not present in Eduardo's games, especially Pac-Man. I was amazed at the demo he presented a few years back. I'm blown away by the final release. Thanks! Well worht the wait.

Eduaro and OPCODE are Colecovision gods!!! Keep up the good work.

-Lee

Unless I'm mistaken, the bonus symbols on the side of the screen are made with background tiles, while those that appear in the maze are sprites. So any differences you see between the two reflect the limitations of the ColecoVision hardware.

EDIT: CARTRIDGE STEALER, I would check my PMs if I were you... Don't come crying to me if you miss this opportunity!

That I do not quite understand- why not use those background tile colors for the sprites, too? I noticed a bit of shimmer on the prizes; so I guessed sprites were involved, but couldn't they have had different colors?

Oh, one other oddity- the dots in Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus are sometimes yellow, sometimes light blue, sometimes white. Once this is the case, resetting the game, even on the CV, will not change this; only actually turning the CV off and on will (it seems to be random). Is there a trick to this?

That I do not quite understand- why not use those background tile colors for the sprites, too? I noticed a bit of shimmer on the prizes; so I guessed sprites were involved, but couldn't they have had different colors?

Oh, one other oddity- the dots in Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus are sometimes yellow, sometimes light blue, sometimes white. Once this is the case, resetting the game, even on the CV, will not change this; only actually turning the CV off and on will (it seems to be random). Is there a trick to this?

Perhaps your CV is malfunctioning....? Or your cartridge? Dots are yellow for both games.

When you say that dots are sometimes white, do you mean all of them?

And what do you mean by "keys are different"? The Galaxian sprites use just two colors (yellow and blue), while the tiles use 3 (yellow, blue and red).

The Galaxian symbols in mine are either cyan or light blue (bit hard to tell on that old television), and purple.

Actually, I like the white dots...the power pills are usually yellow; in the case of other dots, it's all of them.

Edited by CV Gus

This is also the best version of Pac-Man and Plus I've ever played, and this includes the hand-held and NES versions, as well as the 2600, 5200, and others from long ago. Absolutely. Even the title screen is great. I intend to write a lengthy review for this game. Be assured already, it will be extremely favorable. Using the Lee pattern again for PM+ was unbelievable. Hell, I'd like to play it right now.

Oh, since it's a bit hard to tell on my television: are all of the prizes multi-colored?

How about Super Pac-Man in the future?

Edited by CV Gus

The Galaxian symbols in mine are either cyan or light blue (bit hard to tell on that old television), and purple.

Actually, I like the white dots...the power pills are usually yellow; in the case of other dots, it's all of them.

Purple? Cyan? White dots? Hm, I think you have a problem either with your CV or your cartridge... :ponder:

Do you have a second CV that you could try?

Purple? Cyan? White dots? Hm, I think you have a problem either with your CV or your cartridge... :ponder:

Do you have a second CV that you could try?

Could just be his TV as well. I'd try it on a different TV before blaming the cart... :ponder:

No, everything else seems to be o.k., except that the keys and Galaxian symbols are differently colored. The key colors, for example, never match; the ones on the side are different from the ones on-screen.

The dot colors are the "regular" dots- the power pills don't seem to change. I don't consider this a "defect," since I LIKE the white dots! Also, I have my choice of the three colors.

Maybe the Galaxian symbol is part yellow- hard to say- but the other color is purple, no doubt about it. On the side, though, it is red, yellow, and blue, very clearly. I don't care, though; it still looks good. And didn't that symbol in 7800 Dig Dug have similar colors?

How about a screenshot of the screen, with the Galaxian symbol on the playfield?

By the way- I love the skip-screen option (button 0)! It's great for practicing on the higher levels! This game just gets better. :cool:

Thanks to the Lee Pattern, last night I broke 100,000 points, and I have managed to reach the Pancake levels. I haven't had a chance to do that since 1983!

By the way- I love the skip-screen option (button 0)! It's great for practicing on the higher levels! This game just gets better. :cool:

Um... WHAT???? :-o The feature was supposed to have been removed in the final version!!! What's going on here???

zomg rare prototype

Um... WHAT???? :-o The feature was supposed to have been removed in the final version!!! What's going on here???

zomg rare prototype

Yeah, I tried my personal copy, and there's no skip-screen feature either. Eduardo's gonna have some explaining to do... :P