IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection (ColecoVision) completed. Going beta test

opcode

OK...

I think I'm on the 'yellow' cart list and wasn't going to reply in this thread but

(since I email Eduardo 3-4 years ago about his cart... and Luc since then...)

(cringes waiting for answer...)

.......... am I?

There's no JEFF31 on my "yellow list", but did you contact me by e-mail recently? Maybe I have you on my list with your e-mail address and not your AA username.

THE main reason I'm getting this one is for Pac-Man Plus.

The last time I played it was in an arcade called "Video Chef."

Back in 1983.

Personally I find Pac-Man Plus too hard to be any fun. I have always thought that the original Pac-Man was already hard enough, so the extra difficulty in PM Plus never really made much sense. But I suppose that there are a lot of PM maniacs out there who think the original is too easy, so probably they can enjoy PM Plus more then me.

Anyway, the game is included, in all its “insanely difficult” glory. Prepare to have your butt kicked… :)

I actually made a DOS version of Pac-Man way back in 1996 with Pac-Man Plus as a bonus. I called it Annoying New! Pac-Mon Plus, a riff on the arcade game's marquee which referred to it as Exciting New! Pac-Man Plus. I'm ambivalent about the game, in case you couldn't already tell... some of the new play mechanics are really obnoxious, like eating an energizer only to discover that one of the monsters was immune to its effects.

I actually made a DOS version of Pac-Man way back in 1996 with Pac-Man Plus as a bonus. I called it Annoying New! Pac-Mon Plus, a riff on the arcade game's marquee which referred to it as Exciting New! Pac-Man Plus. I'm ambivalent about the game, in case you couldn't already tell... some of the new play mechanics are really obnoxious, like eating an energizer only to discover that one of the monsters was immune to its effects.

But if I remember correctly, you were the one who suggested me to add the game, weren't you?

I remember that I was going to include Crazy Otto and you told me "who cares about Crazy Otto, PM Plus is the real gem of all PM games", so I removed Crazy Otto and happily added PM Plus...

Nah, j/k... :P

Anyway, it's too bad that the original Crazy Otto code never surfaced, otherwise it would be in PMC. But who know, maybe in 10 years, in time for PMC Special Edition... :)

Did you know that there is a pattern for Pac-Man Plus?

It's called the "Lee pattern." It works because the main random elements involve the power pills- but this pattern does not use them at all. It is by no means perfect, but it usually works well enough for a good score. Still, this game is tougher than the original.

Thanks for including it. I can't wait to play it.

:D

But if I remember correctly, you were the one who suggested me to add the game, weren't you?

Yep, I sure did! And it didn't take too much code, right? I figured it'd make a pretty fun bonus without requiring a lot of extra effort. My other suggestion, Pac-Man: Eat 'n Run, would have required a lot more work!

OK, will this cart play on a standard ColecoVision since it's 128K? Or will it utilize the Megacart...or IS IT a Megacart itself. I am unclear as the whether the Megacart was a hardware ad-on or whether it was a fancy name for the large game cartridge itself.

After 10 years in making, I finally finished Pac-Man Collection today (way ahead the projected release date of 2011). The game will now enter beta testing, which should take two more months. That means that PMC will probably be available in time for Christmas. The package for the game had been printed early this year, the cases and PCBs are also already stocked, so the finished game image was the only missing piece of the puzzle.

In case someone still doesn’t know, Pac-Man Collection is a collection of Pac-Man arcade games for the ColecoVision, all inside a single 128KB cartridge. Included are Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man. The CV versions run as close to the original games as possible for a port without going 100% emulation. PMC includes all the arcade features, tricks, mazes, intermissions, animations, bugs, easter eggs, and you can even use the same patterns you used in the arcades to clean the mazes. PLUS, you still get a few surprises. [modesty OFF]I can say that, you aren’t going to find a more faithful rendition of both games (gameplay wise) on any classic video game system, period[modesty ON].

I would like to take the chance to thank everybody involved in making the game, Jess Ragan for creating the delightful manual text, Dale Crum, such a talented artist, for creating the whole package and of course Luc, for coordinating the whole project, keeping everybody on schedule (expect me), keeping me motivated during the hard and bad times and for keeping Opcode Games alive. And of course everybody here for all the comments and nice words during all those years. Did I forget someone? Oh, sure, the beta testers, who will now have the difficult mission of playing the game for hours on end.

Now, before you try to contact us about the game, I would like to ask everybody to wait for an official announcement from Luc (pixelboy). Luc is now the new Opcode Games owner, and he is responsible for game distribution, so please wait for his announcement. While no official announcement is made, this game is still considered to be under development, so no pre-orders will be accepted.

Thanks everybody, I love all you guys [join Luc dancing on the ceiling]...

Eduardo

OK, will this cart play on a standard ColecoVision since it's 128K? Or will it utilize the Megacart...or IS IT a Megacart itself. I am unclear as the whether the Megacart was a hardware ad-on or whether it was a fancy name for the large game cartridge itself.

The MegaCart is essentially a special PCB that fits inside a regular ColecoVision cartridge casing, and is designed to receive a 128K, 256K, 512K or 1024K EPROM. No special expansion module or other extra hardware will be required to run PMC on your ColecoVision console.

Not to be a pest, but does Pac-Man Plus have the right fruits? I was playing an early alpha version of the game on an emulator and while it does have the cola and martini fruits, the other ones are just like the ones in Pac-Man. Has this been changed at all in the beta version? There are supposed to be peapods and loaves of bread in Pac-Man Plus.

Not to be a pest, but does Pac-Man Plus have the right fruits? I was playing an early alpha version of the game on an emulator and while it does have the cola and martini fruits, the other ones are just like the ones in Pac-Man. Has this been changed at all in the beta version? There are supposed to be peapods and loaves of bread in Pac-Man Plus.

Yes, it has all the right fruits... Btw, I hope you get your controller port fixed so you can enjoy the game... :)

Eduardo