IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection (ColecoVision) completed. Going beta test

opcode

First batch of cartridges almost ready... :D

Oh, that is a beautiful sight. :love: Just to think, one of those carts in that picture could be in my CV soon. :D

Somehow that sounds kind of sexual - and I like it :D They look so beautiful I can't wait to gently insert one into my CV, slowly apply a voltage and watch it spring into life. I'm very excited now.

Oh, that is a beautiful sight. :love: Just to think, one of those carts in that picture could be in my CV soon. :D

Somehow that sounds kind of sexual - and I like it :D They look so beautiful I can't wait to gently insert one into my CV, slowly apply a voltage and watch it spring into life. I'm very excited now.

:rolling:

:rolling:

I think they should've made a "Ms Pac-Man Pink" version as well.

-Lee

Is there a PAL version of this? :ponder:

I have compared a number of roms dumped from NTSC carts and PAL carts and the checksums are identical for corresponding games.

AFAIK there is absolutely no difference between PAL, SECAM or NTSC ColecoVision game roms - the commercially released games were only differentiated by different cart shell shapes, labels, manuals and boxes. Interestingly, the CBS carts released in the UK have on their label a statement saying "FOR USE ON PAL (U.K.) T.V. SYSTEM ONLY." All of my UK carts play perfectly on my NTSC console and NTSC TV!!

Now, growing up in the UK with a PAL console, what has always annoyed me was that games played on a PAL console and PAL TV are displayed vertically stretched. So for instance in Carnival the rotating Pipe circle is elliptical - I'm assuming this is due to the difference in the number of lines displayed between PAL (625) and NTSC (525) TVs. I've also been curious to know if the game speed is slightly different due to the different frequencies amongst the TV standards, i.e. 50Hz and 60Hz.

Edited by Ikrananka

Is there a PAL version of this? :ponder:

I have compared a number of roms dumped from NTSC carts and PAL carts and the checksums are identical for corresponding games.

AFAIK there is absolutely no difference between PAL, SECAM or NTSC ColecoVision game roms - the commercially released games were only differentiated by different cart shell shapes, labels, manuals and boxes. Interestingly, the CBS carts released in the UK have on their label a statement saying "FOR USE ON PAL (U.K.) T.V. SYSTEM ONLY." All of my UK carts play perfectly on my NTSC console and NTSC TV!!

Now, growing up in the UK with a PAL console, what has always annoyed me was that games played on a PAL console and PAL TV are displayed vertically stretched. So for instance in Carnival the rotating Pipe circle is elliptical - I'm assuming this is due to the difference in the number of lines displayed between PAL (625) and NTSC (525) TVs. I've also been curious to know if the game speed is slightly different due to the different frequencies amongst the TV standards, i.e. 50Hz and 60Hz.

Hi Ikrananka... :)

I never thought that the lines from the NTSC or PAL have anything with the graphical to do.

The output is the same from all 3 formats namely 256 x 192.

But I've noticed that some of my games, incl. Carnival, to me appears in a sort of 16:9.

When i use the MESS can see there is a difference from what I see on my TV screen, and when it look like at my monitor.

Regarding the speed of NTSC and PAL, there is also some differents.

The whole way the game runs on, sounds, melodies, and the game's speed.

It will not be totally wrong if I say it runs about 10% slower.

And in Pac-Man Collection will you could hear it in the many melodies.

But it has no effect on the gameplay in any way. :)

Some says i can just use a U.S. model, but it will be plugged in with a 230V. 50Hz. power supply, and connected to a PAL 50Hz. Tv. So...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

happy new year to everybody!

If there is an official way to normal people, other than those using Atariage forum, to reserve a copy, it should be fun to know. I've got a message telling me that opcodegames didn't answer some emails... I hope you fix that before it's too late for the official release of pacman collection.

Yes, why is it such a mystery how to order these cartridges? I've emailed Opcode several times asking how to order and never get a response. On the one hand, I know WHY...but on the other, it's not doing a whole lot of good to advertise a product on these forums and leave peole guessing as to how to get it. :(

If there is an official way to normal people, other than those using Atariage forum, to reserve a copy, it should be fun to know. I've got a message telling me that opcodegames didn't answer some emails... I hope you fix that before it's too late for the official release of pacman collection.

Yes, why is it such a mystery how to order these cartridges? I've emailed Opcode several times asking how to order and never get a response. On the one hand, I know WHY...but on the other, it's not doing a whole lot of good to advertise a product on these forums and leave peole guessing as to how to get it. :(

Hey Joe! Good to see ya around here and keeping up with the ol' Coleco stuff still!

As for the Opcode email stuff, I'd say just give them a little time. They'll respond one way or the other. I know they're trying to run it very business like, but remember, it's still a side project for the guys-- ain't no one making a living from it. :)

Happy New Year!

Interesting...I have found out the reason I can't get an answer out of Opcode Games about ordering Pac-Man Collection is because Eduardo has "blacklisted" me and ordered Opcode to have no dealings with me.

Why you might ask?

This stems from something that happened in 2003 when the Space Invaders Collection came out. At the time, I was publishing a video game newspaper called "Video Game Corner" (unfortunately it only lasted three issues due to lack of advertising support) and Eduardo was supposed to send me a copy of the game to review.

Issue #1 came out...no game....issue #2 came out...still no game...issue #3 came out and the game finally arrived a few days later. At this point, it was impossible for me to review the game. Eduardo got mad and I got mad back because he failed to send me the game on time.

It was understood that I was to return the game after review, but I was so pissed I told him I was going to keep it. Have you ever said things in the moment that you didn't really mean? Well this was one of those times.

I never heard from Eduardo again. Meanwhile, five years later, his game is still sitting in the hutch on my desk, never opened and never played. I'm still waiting for him to tell me to who and where to send it back to.

For this, I apparently will never be allowed to buy anything produced by Opcode Games. I guess this is the thanks I get for the FREE ad I ran for Opcode in the final issue of Video Game Corner in Dec. 2003.

I have been a supporter of ColecoVision and the ADAM Computer since the first day they came out. It's unfortunate that Eduardo is conducting himself in such a childish and unprofessional manner. I would think he would want to do what is in the best interests of supporting ColecoVision rather than holding a meaningless grudge because of a lack of communication on his part.

Joe B.