IGNORED

New Lynx 1, odd screen...

eightbit

Hi all. Not new here really...I did have an account under my usual handle "zektor", but lost the p/w and couldn't get it back since my email changed as well :) Oh well...just using my alternate name...

Anyway, I recently purchased a new Lynx on ebay. The box was a little sun stained, but the contents were absolutely new. The system is brand new and mint, but exhibits a screen problem...or at least I think it does since it has been well over a decade since I last played a Lynx.

The screen is "darker" on the left side. It is almost split in half lighter/darker. Also, the screen seems to bleed colors (ie: Electrocop logo on the title screen bleeds vertically). Is the screen going? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks!

Yeah....no amount of adjusting is going to fix this issue :)

Defect Lynxes usually have perfect screens. I would just get a defect Lynx and swap screens.

--

Karri

You have to be very careful when doing this with Lynx 1's though, since the screen is directly wired to the board (no cable sockets, ala Game Gear). My own Lynx 1 has the same issue with the screen except both the left and right sides are darker. Probably just easier to pick up a Lynx II, since the hardware is much more interchangeable (a good thing with devices this age).

Edit: The screen bleeding is expected on older LCDs like the one in the Lynx (where a solid contrasting color will affect all others around it in a vertical strip). If the bleeding is severe, it may be a failing cable.

Edited by TailChao

Yeah....no amount of adjusting is going to fix this issue :)

Defect Lynxes usually have perfect screens. I would just get a defect Lynx and swap screens.

--

Karri

You have to be very careful when doing this with Lynx 1's though, since the screen is directly wired to the board (no cable sockets, ala Game Gear). My own Lynx 1 has the same issue with the screen except both the left and right sides are darker. Probably just easier to pick up a Lynx II, since the hardware is much more interchangeable (a good thing with devices this age).

Edit: The screen bleeding is expected on older LCDs like the one in the Lynx (where a solid contrasting color will affect all others around it in a vertical strip). If the bleeding is severe, it may be a failing cable.

Thanks for the info. I will eventually graba Lynx 2, but the first Lynx is the one I hold dear to my heart (originally purchased one on release day) so I grabbed it for the memories. I do like the fact that the faceplate is so easily removed (which is *perfect* and unscratched), so worse case scenario I will acquire another Lynx 1 with a good screen and swap faceplates. The bleeding is not THAT bad, but bad enough in some instances. Is the cable easy to replace?

Thanks for the info. I will eventually graba Lynx 2, but the first Lynx is the one I hold dear to my heart (originally purchased one on release day) so I grabbed it for the memories.

No problem, thanks for sharing the nostalgia :) .

I do like the fact that the faceplate is so easily removed (which is *perfect* and unscratched), so worse case scenario I will acquire another Lynx 1 with a good screen and swap faceplates. The bleeding is not THAT bad, but bad enough in some instances. Is the cable easy to replace?

The removable faceplate is definitely a plus for the Lynx 1, as the one on the Lynx II is certainly a pain in the rear to take off sometimes. You could even just swap the whole plastic case on your good-condition Lynx 1 with that of one with a working screen and get the best of both worlds.

Honestly I would suggest just doing that instead of trying to solely replace the screen itself since the LCD is basically connected directly to the board by a thin ribbon cable (exactly like the Game Gear, as I said earlier) which is very easily damaged. Repairing the cable is no easy task either. Thus it's probably best to just find another working Lynx 1, swap the internals, and save yourself a soldering nightmare.

Edited by TailChao