IGNORED

15% ebay Final Value Fee on Buy It Now Video Games

SpendTooMuchOnAtari

I guess I don't keep up with all the changes with ebay since it seems they are always changing something but I just found out today that they are charging 15 percent Final Value Fee on video games if you list as a Buy It Now. Perhaps this is common knowledge now but I couldn't believe it. I just sold a DS game for $19 and was charged $2.85...WTF!? Plus, I then pay the PayPal fee to get the payment.

As many of you are thinking as you read this, I need to get on the Chuckwagon because 15% is out of control. I guess the FVF is better if you do an auction but still near 9% I believe.

Why do they financially punish sellers for posting a buy it now as opposed to an auction? Also, why do they target video games and DVD's for the highest fees?

Yep, and there are more fee increases in other categories on the way. In some media categories the fees will be 20%+.

The bullshit eBay is dumping all over its customers these days will make a nice fertilizer for its competition.

Steve

Yeah, eBay has gone batshit crazy as far as I can tell. It boggles the mind that a serious competitor has yet to emerge..

..Al

I agree.

Ebay trialled the 9% FVF on video games in the UK, and I haven't tried to sell a thing on that site since then. However, I do still buy from ebay all the time, because there is very little prospect of getting good stuff anywhere else. CTCW is a welcome development, but it isn't competition for ebay yet. Although ebay has effectively created the online auction marketplace, there is now a huge opportunity for a well-resourced competitor.

I guess I don't keep up with all the changes with ebay since it seems they are always changing something but I just found out today that they are charging 15 percent Final Value Fee on video games if you list as a Buy It Now. Perhaps this is common knowledge now but I couldn't believe it. I just sold a DS game for $19 and was charged $2.85...WTF!? Plus, I then pay the PayPal fee to get the payment.

As many of you are thinking as you read this, I need to get on the Chuckwagon because 15% is out of control. I guess the FVF is better if you do an auction but still near 9% I believe.

Why do they financially punish sellers for posting a buy it now as opposed to an auction? Also, why do they target video games and DVD's for the highest fees?

I thought the change in the final value fee was only for fixed priced items. I think that if you list it as an auction with a buy it now then the final value fee is less.

I personally am thinking of leaving eBay. eBay has raised fees too many times and constantly wants to make things more difficult. Starting in October eBay is going to "regulate" shipping cost. eBay also is eliminating money orders. eBay is also requiring that everyone list a return policy for all of their auctions. When you have over 500 items in your store that have to be revised due to eBay's changes it just gets to the point where it is too much of a hassle to keep up with all of eBay's rules. I used to enjoy eBay as both a buyer and a seller. It isn't fun anymore

They are also getting rid of check payments. They want paypal to be used so they can collect more paypal fees. The paypal fees a rediculous. I'm just going to sell through March, get the tax refund rush and quit. I quit two years ago, but now that I am retired I needed something to do and got back into it, but it's worse than ever. I don't like the new feedback system either, with the rating other than positive neutral and negative. Then not to be able to leave a negative for deadbeat buyers. I mean I learned the last time that there are almost as many crooked buyers as sellers on there. Now it's like buyers are running crazy while sellers have a million restrictions including fees.

They are also getting rid of check payments. They want paypal to be used so they can collect more paypal fees. The paypal fees a rediculous. I'm just going to sell through March, get the tax refund rush and quit. I quit two years ago, but now that I am retired I needed something to do and got back into it, but it's worse than ever. I don't like the new feedback system either, with the rating other than positive neutral and negative. Then not to be able to leave a negative for deadbeat buyers. I mean I learned the last time that there are almost as many crooked buyers as sellers on there. Now it's like buyers are running crazy while sellers have a million restrictions including fees.

You've had a lot of very nice items listed on eBay, so why not head on over to www.chasethechuckwagon.com? I think you'll find the site much more user-friendly and the fee schedule is very reasonable.

I got the email from eBay and at first I thought it was nice that they were lowering insertion fees on the Fixed Price video games category items. However, that joy was short lived because upon further investigation, they are in fact upping the FVF to 15%. This chart sums up the WHOPPING changes. Some brainiac over there decided that they could drive up their own revenue by encouraging people to list more for cheaper insertion fees, and then rape the seller on the FV fees. And don't get me started on the other Gestapo tactics and changes they are putting in place. :x :x :x

post-41-1222175034_thumb.jpg

So if you can't use a money order to buy something on ebay, how are you expected to pay for it? Ain't no way I'm getting a PayPal account for one auction site. Will they still allow credit cards? If that's the case, I'll just go get a prepaid card and use that.

Well, I use paypal for more than just ebay (when I use it, not very often) but there is a long list of stores that started on ebay and some are still there, that use it. 4jays uses it, and estarland, geeks.com, several others. NOT defending ebay at all, and hope they increase these crappy changes so places like the vintage-computer marketplace, the chuckwagon and others thrive.

Well, I use paypal for more than just ebay

Yeah, me too - I just renewed my subscription to Video Game Collector last night and it was PayPal or mail in an order form with some other type of payment, plus there are several toy/action figure/collectibles sites that offer PayPal as a payment option. Not to mention those times when I've bought/sold stuff from/to other AA members and we use PayPal as the means of transaction.

Oh yeah, I also have and use a PayPal credit card - that's what I use to make all my purchases through PayPal and everywhere else, it is my primary means of credit. I earn points towards PayPal vouchers.

Edited by Zwackery

If you use PayPal, you're supporting Ebay and their private unregulated bank that has the right to do whatever they want with any moneys in any account you have associated with them.

Paypal has already tried and been denied to become an offical bank. Makes you feel real safe about having your money coming and going through a company that can't get authorized with legit paperwork eh?

I don't understand why ebay charges more for a video game or DVD then say a coin or a baseball card. Maybe not the best comparison but do you know what I mean? Why do they charge a higher percentage on fixed priced media items? I honestly don't get it. Now, I know they suck and if they want to raise fees, so be it. But, why target video games, DVD's, etc.....when other items can be fixed price at the 8 point-whatever percentage.

I don't understand why ebay charges more for a video game or DVD then say a coin or a baseball card. Maybe not the best comparison but do you know what I mean? Why do they charge a higher percentage on fixed priced media items? I honestly don't get it. Now, I know they suck and if they want to raise fees, so be it. But, why target video games, DVD's, etc.....when other items can be fixed price at the 8 point-whatever percentage.

Maybe the bean counters over there did some kind of study and found that these areas were where the most historic growth was and found that they could up their bottom line with a targeted increase. They also modified shipping costs, perhaps again they felt they were getting done out of money from fees that they were not getting because of the .99 BIN and $20 shipping items.

Maybe the bean counters over there did some kind of study...

That would be my guess, too - some kind of statistical analysis showed a lot of activity in all categories of video game sales and video game sales generate a lot of money in toto, so why not exploit the profit potential there? Plus, after seeing some of the inflated shipping charges being put on games, eBay probably figured to stop the "drain" on their profits that way, too.