IGNORED

Should magazine/Library collection disks be saved to CD?

a8maestro

I would say yes... A lot of it may be redundant as it's shareware etc, but you never know what gems might be hidden there... If you don't want to save them or take the time at least offer them up for sale to someone who might want to... If you do save them it might be nice to offer them up as a download, or a CD...

anyway that's my 2c :)

There is a lot of 8-bit PD software that is not saved. There are sites like Atariage and Atarimania for commercial software but there is not a lot of sites that have PD software. The only one I know of is the Page 6 one. There needs to be a US PD software archive before a lot more of it is lost.

Allan

While going through all of this stuff, I have a lot of disks that are user group library collections and many magazine disks. Is the software on these disks something that should be saved? Has it been already?

Rick D.

Yeeeessss !!

Save it !! Before it is lost forever... Maybe there is some stuff on them, that cannot be found elsewhere...

-Andreas Koch.

A few years ago there used to be some dutch bloke that did 'The Pooldisk' CDRom, i think it was Bo Shrers or someone like that...I don't recall if they had a website but i do know it had tonnes of PD and user group written software (including bellcom and the user group i was with LACE, London Atari Computer Enthusiasts) If i recall LACE even had the CD for sale, unfortunately ididn't have the forsight to buying it....I guess either the CD is still available or might be, or that the content onthe CD is available on some w/s somewhere

Well,

the Pooldisk CD and later the Pooldisk Too CD`s were done by Bo and Ernest Schreurs from the Netherlands. The CD`s are available from Abbuc, but they are also available online somewhere... The CD`s contain thousands of PD software images, but also some commercial stuff... Currently they are working on an update on DVD... -Andreas Koch.

Hello guys

It's possible to boot you 8 bit Atari from a CD (if your 8 bit Atari has a parallel bus). If you turn all the software in .ATR files and then run AtariCD (on a PC) by Matthias Reichl, a burnfile wil be generated. Burn this file to CD (I haven't tried a DVD yet). Print out the partitionlist list (which tells you where each partitionlist is and which files you'll find in each partitionlist. Hook a SCSI CD player to your BlackBox (make sure the BlackBox has one of the parity upgrades). Stick the CD in the CD player. (select the partitionlist you want to use, using option B in the BlackBox menu, if you do not want to use the default partitionlist). Boot your 8 bit Atari.

Greetings

Mathy

I would love to have every issue of ANTIC and ANALOG in .PDF form, as well as the monthly disks in .ATR form, all on a single DVD... That would ROCK...

Ditto on the PDFs!!! :D

I do have most of the monthly disks in .ATR format... Not all though...

Edited by dwhyte

There are sites like Atariage and Atarimania for commercial software but there is not a lot of sites that have PD software. The only one I know of is the Page 6 one.

You can also search by license on our site.

Rick, can you tell us what you have exactly?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

You're right. I stand corrected.

Allan

Art this point in time, I don't have exacts. Libraries, magazine disks, pd collections, import disks. I also downloaded a lot of files from Delphi, Genie, and Compuserve. Besides disks and hard drive file, I have a six or so cartons of disks.

When the current dust settles, I will be able to see what I have.

The response so far is good enough to keep it all. Thanks to all who replied.

Rick D.

There are sites like Atariage and Atarimania for commercial software but there is not a lot of sites that have PD software. The only one I know of is the Page 6 one.

You can also search by license on our site.

Rick, can you tell us what you have exactly?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Edited by a8maestro

I know the Antics are at least digitized, don't remember if in .pdf. More than a year ago, I emailed the contact for helping on getting the Analog magazines digitized, but never received a reply. They are no where near done.

I would love to have every issue of ANTIC and ANALOG in .PDF form, as well as the monthly disks in .ATR form, all on a single DVD... That would ROCK...