IGNORED

For...Next - Design Journal: "Armageddon Complex", Build 0.2

RSS Bot

Changes:

- Added temporary title screen

- No pfcolors... program will only use pfheights

- Screen-to-screen movement implemented (4 screens total)

- Designed vertical "Wall" pf object

- Dropped Teleporter flashing animation

- Map-Roaming monsters implemented

Thoughts:

Pfcolors was a goner sooner or later, and I assume playercolors will join it shortly in the grave. Coloring the playfield just cost too many bytes, and with the horizontal color sync being the way it it, I wouldn't be able to draw much with playfield anyway.

Screen-to-screen movement is working fine for the player and the monsters, with the caviat that I've only got 81 bytes left in the gameloop bank, and I haven't even implemented monster collisions yet!!! I clearly need to learn more about bankswitching before I proceed.

I don't like my object serialization method at all. It's clumsy, inflexible and expensive byte-wise. I tried to do all sorts of clever things to trim it down, but Mr. BatariBasic don't take kinder to no fancy-schmancy, big city codin'. There are a bunch of issues I'm wrestling with, but one really frustrating example is that "inequality" statement don't seem to work. It's led me down a hack-y path in terms of registering pf collisions.... all I want to do is test whether the player ISN'T touching one of my objects... is that to much to ask?

Same goes for object initiation. I need to work on an iterative for-loop that slims it down, and maybe even establish another array pointer to read my objects one at a time in each room.

Next steps:

- Read up on Bankswitching

- Slim down object serialization

- Clean up code as much as possible to conserve space.

- Create up and down screen movement

Attached File(s)

bin.gif

AC_sb5.bas.bin ( 32K )

Number of downloads: 0

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=5295