IGNORED

128 Pixel sprite

Wickeycolumbus

I was experimenting with reseting the h position register mid line in several spots during the line and I came up with this kernel. It puts Each sprite on the screen 7 times for a total of 14 sprites or 112 pixels and saves 22 cycles for housekeeping with no flicker. I dont think that it is possible to change the graphics of each copy though...

SpriteDemo.zip

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Kernel greatly improved. Still 128 pixels, Removed WSYNC write and saved 11 cycles. Here is the template for the kernel if anyone is interested:

somewhere in game:

lda #%00000011
sta NUSIZ0
sta NUSIZ1

Main Kernel:

sta WSYNC
Kernel

nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop	 ;; 20 cycles for house keeping
nop
nop
nop
nop

sta RESP0
sta RESP1

nop 0  ;; 5 cycles for graphics changing
nop

sta RESP0
sta RESP1

nop 0
nop

sta RESP0
sta RESP1

nop 0
nop 0;; 11 cycles for house keeping
nop 0
nop

dey
bne Kernel

attached is an example.

EDIT:

I miss calcualted. You can have up to 10 cycles in between each reposition of the sprites, enough to change the graphics of player one and two.

spriteDemoChange2.bin

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Kernel greatly improved. Still 128 pixels, Removed WSYNC write and saved 11 cycles. Here is the template for the kernel if anyone is interested:

[...]

EDIT:

I miss calcualted. You can have up to 10 cycles in between each reposition of the sprites, enough to change the graphics of player one and two.

Kinda cool, though fairly limited since the graphics have to be of the form: ABABCDCDEFEFGHGH

Though your demo doesn't change colors and uses 2-line resolution for the sprites, I assume that neither of those are a necessary limitation?

• 2 weeks later...
Any chances in positioning the sprites at equal distances? You could create nice grid-like graphics then.

It is possible to position the sprites at equal distances, but you'd either have to increase the gap between them a bit or fill the entire line using 9 copies of each player. Increasing the gap might be too much for a nice looking grid. But it has the advantage that the sprites could be disabled individually. Christopher Tumber uses this in his game Space Instigators.

Filling the entire line with 18 spites allows you to display a nice grid. But there isn't enough time to update the graphics and colours for both players in each scanline. I posted some experiments with this effect to the [stella] mailing list about 10 years ago. Multi5.bin displays a screen filling pattern. Grid2.bin displays a grid that you can scroll left and right. And extra18.bin displays 18 sprites that you can hide with the joystick. The sprites in the last one aren't positioned at equally distances though.

multi5.binGRID2.BINEXTRA18.BIN

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg