IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 4: Stay Frosty

Ze_ro

post-19425-1222246116_thumb.png

1st try 20379 had to use stella again interesting game would love to have the cart one day too bad I can't use my atari joysticks on this computer (no steladaprer) there has to be a way to use the serial port as a joystick port (9 pin and 9 pin )

post-19425-1222253048_thumb.png29326

will keep trying this game gets frustrating but addicting

new best and i d/l a better version of stella here i was still using 1.4.1 now using 2.6.1

post-19425-1222441853_thumb.png

post-19425-1222246116_thumb.png

1st try 20379 had to use stella again interesting game would love to have the cart one day too bad I can't use my atari joysticks on this computer (no steladaprer) there has to be a way to use the serial port as a joystick port (9 pin and 9 pin )

post-19425-1222253048_thumb.png29326

will keep trying this game gets frustrating but addicting

new best and i d/l a better version of stella here i was still using 1.4.1 now using 2.6.1

post-19425-1222441853_thumb.png

post-19425-1222513278_thumb.png

Locked up again. :mad: I seems pointless really, when obtaining 100k+ scores, it's not the case of "if" it's going to lock up but when.

post-10357-1222523758_thumb.jpg

Maybe you could try a save state around 150K, then save again after each level. Maybe you can pinpoint where you're locking up. I don't know, I'm just thowing out ideas. I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the subject.

What a clever game! Nice job SpiceWare!

Thanks! The game idea was Nathan Strum's, I just ran with it :D You may like to check out my Stay Frosty Page, which has some development info on it.

Well then I should give Nathan credit, too! :) I love the "polish" you add to your games also... and the appropriate use of flicker! ;)

post-17553-1222647181_thumb.png

Locked up again. :mad: I seems pointless really, when obtaining 100k+ scores, it's not the case of "if" it's going to lock up but when.

Maybe you could try a save state around 150K, then save again after each level. Maybe you can pinpoint where you're locking up. I don't know, I'm just thowing out ideas. I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the subject.

I just assumed that using save states would be frowned upon. Although this is a special case. What does everyone else think?

I just assumed that using save states would be frowned upon. Although this is a special case. What does everyone else think?

I suggested using savestates for the purposes of trying to duplicate and pinpoint the time it crashes. I was just curious if it would keep crashing at the same place everytime you reloaded the savestate. I guess that wasn't a very good suggestion because then you'd be playing solely for the purpose of trying to debug, and not for the HSC. Maybe that's something you could do after the week is over and report back on your findings. That sucks that you keep crashing, though. I'm sorry. :(

I suggested using savestates for the purposes of trying to duplicate and pinpoint the time it crashes. I was just curious if it would keep crashing at the same place everytime you reloaded the savestate. I guess that wasn't a very good suggestion because then you'd be playing solely for the purpose of trying to debug, and not for the HSC. Maybe that's something you could do after the week is over and report back on your findings. That sucks that you keep crashing, though. I'm sorry. :(

The only way I would suggest using a savestate is on a one-time-use basis IF (and only if) Stella crashes to resume your game from a previous state. Once you lose all of your lives, you should no longer use that savestate. Perhaps, saving at the beginning of each level. However, to me this is a decision that should be made by Zero and the console players.

Let it be known that I did have to utilize save states to prevent losing my progress during any emulator lock up's. I started shortly after 100k and at the very beginning of each successful board I would hit F9. When I made it to the next board I would save again in the very same slot, thereby erasing the previous state. The system did lock up at around 118k so if I had not used the save state "safety net" my game would have ended prematurely right there. Whenever I lost a life I would hit F9 right at the beginning again so as not to go back to a previous state where I had more lives than I should.

I hope this is acceptable. Sadly, there was no other way for me to be able to play an entire game.

post-10357-1222819504_thumb.png