IGNORED

Anyone else think the Sears Video Arcade II is cool?

OldSchoolRetroGamer

They do look pretty awesome. Plus I like seeing 4 controller ports on the front... there's just something nifty about a 2600 with four controller ports :) I have the SVA II and would like a 2800 as well!

I like the controllers pretty well, too. (Not that I've used them much)

That was my childhood console. My Mom is a Sears loyalist. I remember one of my friends giving me crap about how it wasnt a real Atari like his was and I was all like "yeah but I dont need to change controllers to play breakout". Honestly the controllers kinda suck for maze type games and I had thumb ache from the side buttons. It is nice looking though, love the red light on black, so Knight Rider.

I have a Sears arcade 2 machine, and they are very cool. sleek looking, gotta love the power red light, 4 port system, and the power switch was so ahead of its time even cooler. like the ps2

But the controllers suck :|

Edited by corbysatarigame

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up one of these for $8.25 + shipping. Dunno why I did since it didn't have original controllers, but I do like the look of it.

I'm thinkin' blue LED's would look slick, but not sure it's worth the effort of replacing the red translucent strips. Wonder if they'd look purple behind the red strip or if they'd just be some nasty dull gray-brown color. Depending on the purity of the red filter, I guess I might possibly see nothing at all.

Edited by BigO

I like the Sears VA II. I picked one up in northern Georgia for $25 with Jr. Pac-Man and two really odd off brand 2600 joystcks (one was a Kraft stick and the other was a brand I can't remember--both were painful to use). I've never used the original stock controllers, but it works just fine with any 2600 joysticks. I use the standard Atari sticks, Wico sticks, and Sega Genesis pads.

I really like the lights on the top, and the wide, mushy cartridge slot (much wider than my 7800s, even though they look almost identical at first glance), and the joystick ports on the front.

anyone done an s-video mod on the SVA2?

I really need to do mine so I can keep it, my tv that said it does ntsc on rf doesn't :x

I can give you the email of my friend once he has done mine

cool, is he in Europe or the US?

anyone done an s-video mod on the SVA2?

I really need to do mine so I can keep it, my tv that said it does ntsc on rf doesn't :x

Internally, it isn't too much different from a 4 switch, I never modded mine, but I did repair it. Any mod that works on the 4 switch should work just fine on the SVAII, I think most of the resistors are in the same basic place.

Edited by elliott

I think they are designed for four paddles.

But unlike the pair of paddles Atari sold, Sears sold individual combo joystick/paddles controllers that made it necessary to have four ports for the four paddle games.

But maybe someone who knows the system well could devise a game for four joysticks or eight paddles (in pairs).