IGNORED

What should change with next-gen controllers?

AtticGamer

Which company do you think has to change the controller with its next generation controller?

I find that Sony controllers should be a little bulkier and with a round d-pad. MS only needs a better d-pad.

Nintendo should really use the Classic Controller as standard alongside the Remote. Bundling the controller with the system justifies 3rd-parties making standard controller-only games without fearing consumer division.

I hope MS and Sony take Nintendo's lead and start reducing the number of buttons. Doesn't seem likely with the big push toward backwards compatibility.

Also, it'd be great if Sony could finally change their design. I've never found a Playstation comfortable to hold.

To me the most comfortable controller this round was the 360 controller, I had one for my PC for awhile. In fact I would go out and say that despite my not owning the system it's probably the best controller I've ever held in terms of comfort. That said, the Dpad sucks and I do like the Dpad for certain games, fighters and Tony Hawk come to mind.

My big wants would be:

Wireless standard

Rumble standard

Well designed DPads

If they decide to keep motion sensors they all need to have it be in the form factor of Nintendo - you can do much more with motion sensing with the split controller design.

Oh - and handhelds need good analog controls - no BS of using the touch screen to simulate one or that fricken nub on the PSP.

I don't care as long as the next sony redesign hurts less than the last 3.

proper d-pad and swapping its position with the left analog stick. That'd be spiffy

It's also a no-brainer, but nintendo will be changing their console control scheme next time around. Don't know what the redesign will look like, but they tend to like to mix it up every generation.

Edited by Reaperman

What should change....

1: Bigger controllers (like the original Xbox controllers) meant for normal adult sized hands.

2: Propper button placement. After you've designed the case, hold the f'in thing, and look where your thumb goes. Notice the arc they make and where they reach. Don't place pads/sticks/buttons outside that area. DO place the buttons and stuff out the edge of that reach however so one can leave their thumbs extended STRAIGHT instead of bent back and bunched up.

3: D-pads that work right. Light press responciveness. And make sure it responds in the direction one is pushing. If I'm pushing up, but just ever so slightly to the left, register UP, damn it. If I wanted to push left, you'de know it. You know damn well it's impossible to push only 100% in the pure direction you want to move. Account for that fact in the design and don't allow slightly off movements to trigger anything.

Summary: Just bring back the original Xbox controller and make every console compatable with it. :cool:

I want modular controllers. Something where you could easily change out a D pad for spinner, change the fire button configurations for fighting games instead of a platformer, etc. They would allow for either left or right hand configurations and if you break an analog stick, just clip in a replacement without having to buy a whole new controller. Different games could even come with special controller modules that could be just snapped into the base controller. Something along the lines of this very simple diagram.

post-1401-1222701960_thumb.jpg

Edited by joeybastard

Modular controllers aren't a bad idea. That's what the Wii does, more or less. You can attach an analog thumbstick, a classic controller, or even a light gun to the Wiimote, making it a very versatile design.

What I absolutely MUST have from a next generation controller is a rubberized circular D-pad, similar to the ones on Sega Saturn joypads. There's no reason a game controller should be without one!

1) Need more use of the fingers other than the thumb. Kind of like the Twiddler, but not nearly as complicated.

The front of the controller would have analog and/or digital D-pad and a couple of buttons. The back would have maybe 8 more buttons but that's probably pushing it since there are many different hand sizes out there.

However, this lets you "chord" buttons (press many at once), and potentially pull off more precise moves as your thumbs aren't hopping all around the controller any more.

2) Simple motion capture is good and Wii pulls it off. Anything more complicated will be unreliable until the next-next-generation at least. However, still much to be explored with the (relatively) simple Wii implementation.

3) Surprised no one's mentioned brain-wave reading and all that other sci-fi hoo-ha that won't ever really work in our lifetimes (yay Mindlink).

3) Surprised no one's mentioned brain-wave reading and all that other sci-fi hoo-ha that won't ever really work in our lifetimes (yay Mindlink).

I'm all for it, but I think that since they're going in there anyway, it would just be easier to have them remove the part of my brain that makes me want to play video games in the first place. save me a lot of money too...

The 360 clear as day won this round. To bad about the D pad, that's the only real change I want (what was wrong with the old style cross pad, or the PSX pad?)

But my favorite all time controller was the fatty X-box (original controller), made for someone without little kid hands. (though it's dpad sucked too)

To me the most comfortable controller this round was the 360 controller, I had one for my PC for awhile. In fact I would go out and say that despite my not owning the system it's probably the best controller I've ever held in terms of comfort. That said, the Dpad sucks and I do like the Dpad for certain games, fighters and Tony Hawk come to mind.

My big wants would be:

Wireless standard

Rumble standard

Well designed DPads

If they decide to keep motion sensors they all need to have it be in the form factor of Nintendo - you can do much more with motion sensing with the split controller design.

Oh - and handhelds need good analog controls - no BS of using the touch screen to simulate one or that fricken nub on the PSP.

The stick on the PSP (er, nub) was fine, My biggest problem was that it wanted to be a grown up console, but most the games it tried weren't very playable without a second stick. Give the next gen a second stick, and it'll be perfect. As for the DS, the touchs creen was ok, on like the 3 games that made good use of it, but over all, it's still a gimmik for the thing (if they keep the touch screen for the next system, my biggest advise would be to put it on both screens, play a game like Vive Pinata and you'll know where that could come in handy.

As for motion controlls, yeah, instead of doing like the Wiik I want a standard controller, but if you put motion into it, have a second plug in remote thingy, or better, have the controller where you can unlock it nad pull it in half or soemthing. But for gods sake, whatever you do, don't pack in the system with a sensor control as the ONLY control option. Yeah, it was cool on the Wii, for about a week, then it got stale really fast. And I'm sorry, some games simply don't work with a motion control reguardless of the delusions of wii fans everywhere.

I prefer the controller setup for PS2 and Xbox, but the PS2 was better with the precise movements that I wanted while the xbox was better with the fast response.

PS2 handled the fighting games like Guilty Gear better than xbox, and xbox handled the first person shooters better.