IGNORED

5 things u wished the 5200 had

phuzaxeman

if there were 5 things you wished the 5200 had, what would they be?

1) reliable controllers (self centering would be great but i really like the 5200 controllers already despite what critics say)

2) backward 2600 compatibility

3) audio/video outputs

4) more 4 player games

5) smaller console (i like the original and think its great, but having a smaller console would be nice)

HMM......... :ponder:

1) All in one compatability. 5200, 7800, and 2600. One system, ALL carts.

2) Maintenance free controllers.

3) Larger variety of accessories.

4) A usuable port for more RAM/Memory for upgrades. To save your game.

5) (BEER) Can holders instead of a controller compartment. (Your Favorite beverage would suffice. :D )

1. A smaller casing, so it doesn't make the X-Box look jealous of its size!

2. Self-centering sticks.

3. Instant compatibility with the 2600.

4. A wider assortment of games -- it's mostly arcade-action, very little sports, few adventure and strategy games, but nothing for the kids.

5. And that's pretty much it!

if there were 5 things you wished the 5200 had, what would they be?

1) reliable controllers (self centering would be great but i really like the 5200 controllers already despite what critics say)

2) backward 2600 compatibility

3) audio/video outputs

4) more 4 player games

5) smaller console (i like the original and think its great, but having a smaller console would be nice)

1. 2600 compatable

2. no side mount fire buttons.

3. optional digital controllers for pac-man and alike

4. A/v output

Thats all I can think of.

If the DS has taught us anything, what the 5200 needs more than anything else is a camera. In fact, make it two cameras! Probably some internal memory, too... hey, how about an SD card slot? Also, you've got to have wi-fi so you can download games! About the only thing the 5200 DOESN'T need is a Game Boy Advance cartridge slot.

First I'll steal one of Kenfused's wishes:

(3) R/W and clock lines on the cartridge port to make adding RAM to carts easy

And then my own:

(1) Memory upgrade to 64K RAM.

(2) A High-Score cart.

(4) A Steering Wheel Controller for games like Pole Position.

(5) A Star Wars arcade game type controller for games like Star Wars and Star Raiders.

I have a lot more ideas but I'm saving them. ;)

Allan

• Like 1

defineatly a digital controller just last week i rigged up a cable to use a pc joystick and i have a special digital arcade stick and it works great

second atari should have made a y cable like the wico but have it plug in the 2600 paddles so people could play certain games wiht just one dial

it should have been obvious what was wrong with them people 5200 control is 2 pots and 2 buttons the paddles were 2 pots and 2 buttons and the y would allow the start,pause,reset,numbers

the autoswitchbox was amazing to me how it saved running 2 lines to the unit (so people waling in front of the tv only trip on one wire) too bad they abandoned it of course my switch box is really slow at switching back to tv it gives me about 30-90 sec of fuzz)

but back then i think the 5200 was too advanced and tried too hard the simple 2600 graphics was good enough for me

it was missing one thing , (the killer app)

nintendo had smb,gameboy tetris,2600 combat(i loved the plane game),genesis had sonic

sure playing 2600 games often ended up looking like big lego bricks shooting little lego bricks (centipede)

oh yea and a gun

Edited by bohoki

1. Smaller Size: Although the 5200 is great too look at it's immense size makes it difficult to work with on a daily basis especially if you just want to play a quick game, and the console overall takes up a lot of space. It would've been nice if Atari had released the 5200 Jr.

2. Durable, self-centering joysticks.

3. Compatibility with 2600/7800/Genesis controllers for more controller variety like the 2600.

4. End labels on catridges.

5. Original Games: The 5200 without a doubt has great arcade conversions but is short on truly original titles. The 2600, Intellivision, and Colecovision all had games unique to their systems.

Just give me some controllers that work. I can't stand mushy buttons. The only thing worse than mushy buttons are mushy buttons that don't work! I rebuilt my primary controller with care a couple years ago. It worked ok. Haven't played it in a while, hooked it up, now it doesn't work. May try the aluminum foil method...

:(

F

Allan

:)

I like the 5200 the way it is really. Since I didn't grow up with it, I don't know what I would change back then. I wish it had more games. More 8-bit conversions. I like the controller. I think I would wish it to be a little smaller, full 2600 compatibility is nice. Besides what's already been said, I don't think I can add anything new to the conversation.

I've gone from "why" to "wow" on the 5200, in that span of time I can say I would want...

1) Self Centering joysticks. The 2600 sticks with an extra button would have been just fine.

2) Memory upgrade to 48K/64K

3) Keyboard module/ SIO port

4) 8-bit computer cartridge adaptor for 5200 slot.

5) Monitor Port.

Yep, I want my 5200 to be a fully functional 5200 that can be a black Atari 800 when I want it to be! :P

First I'll steal one of Kenfused's wishes:

(3) R/W and clock lines on the cartridge port to make adding RAM to carts easy

And then my own:

(1) Memory upgrade to 64K RAM.

(2) A High-Score cart.

(4) A Steering Wheel Controller for games like Pole Position.

(5) A Star Wars arcade game type controller for games like Star Wars and Star Raiders.

Allan

find one of these in a thrift. very easy conversion for a steering wheel. Took less than an hour. Works pretty well.

post-15685-1223049764_thumb.jpg

Edited by midnight8

The Obvious that most everyone pointed out, Ken's list could be my list but...

It needs a light gun and some shoot em up games like Chiller, Operation Wolf, Terminator, Area 51, Splinter Cell or "SNAAAAAAAAKE"... Metal Gear of course.

Edited by Phantom