IGNORED

5 things u wished the 5200 had

phuzaxeman

I love the 5200 hardware just the way it is. Perfect.

You consider those godawful anti-ergonomic non-centering chicklet-buttoned malfunction-prone joysticks to be "perfect"?

Keep chugging that kool-aid, dude.

I love them.

LOL I do really like the controllers, although I admit the maintenance sucks.

If you ever play some games on A8 and same games on A5200, you will see how much difference the joysticks make. I am talking about working ones. A5200 ones obviously are useless for most games if they are prone to failing button presses.

Fixed. ;)

OK, it seemed a bit unclear in you previous post.

In case you didn't know, here's how I converted the Analog joystick interface of A5200 to digital joystick using Digital Joystick Adapter via MPDOS (there's two resistors and two diodes):

1  =  Column #1 (keypad right column)
2  =  Column #2 (keypad middle column)
3  =  Column #3 (keypad left column)
4  =  Column #4 (GND for Start, Pause, Reset)
5  =  Row #3 (Reset)
6  =  Row #2 (Pause)
7  =  Row #1 (Start)
8  =  Row #4 (keypad *, 0, #)
9  =  POT GND
                                                       blue jumper ------------------ DB9 pin 1 (forward)
10 = Paddle(0) (PotX) -------------------------------|<---------------- DB9 pin 9 (Paddle(0))

|______/\/\/\/\_________ DB9 pin 2 (back)
11 = Paddle(1) (PotY) -------------------------------|<---------------- DB9 pin 5 (Paddle(1))
                                                           |______/\/\/\/\_________ DB9 pin 6 (trigger)
12 = +5V DC ------------------------------------------------------------ DB9 pin 7 (+5V DC)
13 = Bottom Buttons (Trigger) ------------------------------------- DB9 pin 3 (Ptrig(0))

14 = Top Buttons ------------------------------------------------------- DB9 pin 4 (Ptrig(1))
15 = Ground (GND) --------------------------------------------------- DB9 pin 8 (GND)

^ So are you saying the 5000 controller is preferable to the standard Atari joysticks, or not?

Who are you asking? And there's no Atari 5000 and I am saying (stating actually) that Atari 8-bit joysticks are preferable over Atari 5200 joysticks.

Sure if you like getting hand cramps.

Allan

If you ever play some games on A8 and same games on A5200, you will see how much difference the joysticks make. I am talking about working ones. A5200 ones obviously are useless for most games if they are prone to failing button presses.

I guess everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I do own a Masterplay interface. So, I can play 5200 with 2600 sticks all I want. I happen to think the stock 5200 controller is a much better way to play. It is comfortable and I happen to not have a problem pushing in any direction I want to go. The sticks movement feels smooth and never cramps my hand. It gives playing 5200 games a feel that I don't find on other consoles and I believe this is why the 5200 is my life time favorite machine. My only wish for it is an expanded software library.

Its always been my opinion that for the time of its release the 5200 sticks were best. Compared to Coleco Vision and Intellivision... I'll take a good working well maintained 5200 stick anyday.

^ So are you saying the 5000 controller is preferable to the standard Atari joysticks, or not?

Who are you asking? And there's no Atari 5000 and I am saying (stating actually) that Atari 8-bit joysticks are preferable over Atari 5200 joysticks.

Sure if you like getting hand cramps.

Allan

Both joysticks need to be held in the hand or you can get a wide variety of third party digital joysticks and some of them have suction cups at the bottom to stick them to the table for even more flexibility and accuracy. A5200 trackball is definitely better on A5200 than the A8 version.

Any adapters for the VCS pads should work just as well for A7800, Sega Master System, or Genesis Controllers too. ;) (or Mattel Gemini controllers)

I don't like those tall controllers like the A7800 double button ones and the A5200 ones. You ever try moving diagonally using a Sega controller-- it sucks.

In no particular order:

1. End labels on the carts!

2. Built-in memory to save high scores per-game. I know, not realistic for 1983, but it would still be cool!

3. Auto-centering controllers, or perhaps a "digital" mode for some games

4. Longer, more flexible controller cables

5. I don't mind the feel of the controllers for most games, but it would be nice if they were more reliable and I didn't have to open up the case every year or so to adjust the calibration pot.

I don't like those tall controllers like the A7800 double button ones and the A5200 ones. You ever try moving diagonally using a Sega controller-- it sucks.

SMS maybe, but all my genesis controllers are great. (though some needed a bit of cleaning) some 3rd party or reproductions are crap though.

I've got the early re-letter 3-button controllers, a later 3=button (haven't opened it yet, lots of variations), and a classic 6-button controller.

Diagonals have to work well if you want to play Sonic 3D blast properly. ;) (among other games)

Works great for diagonals in Outlaw or Missile Command too.

SMS maybe, but all my genesis controllers are great. (though some needed a bit of cleaning) some 3rd party or reproductions are crap though.

I've got the early re-letter 3-button controllers, a later 3=button (haven't opened it yet, lots of variations), and a classic 6-button controller.

Diagonals have to work well if you want to play Sonic 3D blast properly. ;) (among other games)

Works great for diagonals in Outlaw or Missile Command too.

Show me picture of Genesis and SMS controllers as I got rid of my Sega a while back and can't remember which ones had those 4-direction type keypads. Regardless though, the CX40 type joystick gives you a better grip than using what boils down to arrow keys on those keypads.

Just get a pair of old style PC joystick extension cords. They work perfectly. If you look on the Net hard enough, you usually can get them pretty cheaply.

Allan

Very cool - ask and ye shall receive! Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome. Plus it has the added advantage of saving wear and tear on the controller port. Plus if you have one of the Atariage controller adapters, it is tight fitting into the adapter. The port on the AA adapter (at least on mine) fits rather loosely into the 5200 controller port and sometimes will disconnect if moved to much.

Allan

Show me picture of Genesis and SMS controllers as I got rid of my Sega a while back and can't remember which ones had those 4-direction type keypads. Regardless though, the CX40 type joystick gives you a better grip than using what boils down to arrow keys on those keypads.

I'm not positive I've even used a CX-40, I have 2 CX-10s ca 1977 (from a heavy sixer) and any others may have been CX-40s or really worn CX-10s -very loose feel -CX-10 is almost too stiff. (whichever came with the "light sixer")

There's the 7800 joypad too and both that and the original SMS controllers have screw holes for a thumbstick.

http://www.atariage.com/7800/controllers/con_Atari7800Joypad.jpg (7800 with thumb stick)

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/genesis_to_wii/sms_controller.jpg (Master System)

http://www.instructables.com/image/FZ5Q19IFVLOMCHX/Retro-Atari-7800-Mod-Sega-Master-System-controlle.jpg (early master system with thumbstick mounting point)

http://wiki.laptop.org/images/thumb/8/88/Genesis_controller.jpg/500px-Genesis_controller.jpg (3-button genesis pad I usually use)

http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/genesisb.jpg (6-button pad I have as well)

None of them have the "cross pad" of nintendo consoles (or the godawful think Sony calls a D-pad), but a full round thumbpad, very well cupped to fit and slightly textured. (it does have the "cross" pattern as well, but it feels totally different than Nintendo pads and works better, generally, for diagonals, though it varies on the model -several revisions many identical on the outside, and amount of wear)

The SMS pads are apparently bad for diagonals or at least wear out quickly. I haven't used them in the better part of a decade so I'm not sure. I don't remember any problems when I played my Uncle's Master System ~8 years ago though.

Regardless they're all better at hitting 8 directions than almost any analog controller. (not positive on the SMS, though I know of some terrible off-brand reproduction genesis pads that are much worse than using analog sticks on modern consoles for 4/8-direction control -not sure about the 5200, but the vextrex is probably better than those too)

I'm not positive I've even used a CX-40, I have 2 CX-10s ca 1977 (from a heavy sixer) and any others may have been CX-40s or really worn CX-10s -very loose feel -CX-10 is almost too stiff. (whichever came with the "light sixer")

There's the 7800 joypad too and both that and the original SMS controllers have screw holes for a thumbstick.

http://www.atariage.com/7800/controllers/con_Atari7800Joypad.jpg (7800 with thumb stick)

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/genesis_to_wii/sms_controller.jpg (Master System)

http://www.instructables.com/image/FZ5Q19IFVLOMCHX/Retro-Atari-7800-Mod-Sega-Master-System-controlle.jpg (early master system with thumbstick mounting point)

http://wiki.laptop.org/images/thumb/8/88/Genesis_controller.jpg/500px-Genesis_controller.jpg (3-button genesis pad I usually use)

http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/genesisb.jpg (6-button pad I have as well)

None of them have the "cross pad" of nintendo consoles (or the godawful think Sony calls a D-pad), but a full round thumbpad, very well cupped to fit and slightly textured. (it does have the "cross" pattern as well, but it feels totally different than Nintendo pads and works better, generally, for diagonals, though it varies on the model -several revisions many identical on the outside, and amount of wear)

The SMS pads are apparently bad for diagonals or at least wear out quickly. I haven't used them in the better part of a decade so I'm not sure. I don't remember any problems when I played my Uncle's Master System ~8 years ago though.

Regardless they're all better at hitting 8 directions than almost any analog controller. (not positive on the SMS, though I know of some terrible off-brand reproduction genesis pads that are much worse than using analog sticks on modern consoles for 4/8-direction control -not sure about the 5200, but the vextrex is probably better than those too)

I did have those Sega Genesis one-- the groves make it harder to go diagonal. With an Atari joystick, it's pretty well defined when you go diagonal.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean, you just push in the direction you want to move and it's very responsive for me at least, using the VCS sticks is always a bit awkward, but they're also quire responsive at least. (not sloppy like some controllers/joysticks)

Example: If I shoot in Berzerk, I find it easier to use a standard A8 joystick especially diagonally. With those the thumb, it's more effort to go diagonally and easier to screw up. You could take out the PCB from an Atari joystick and press on the buttons directly if you prefer the Sega type of joystick. I think that lever to help press those buttons is there to make life easier.

The CX-10 doesn't have any buttons inside iirc just metal tabs that get pressed by contacts ont he joystick -not sure about the CX-40. (the FB2 uses modern dome switches -which atariksi criticized)

I often end up using my thumb on the VCS joysticks too -at least until it becomes uncomfortable.

The CX-10 doesn't have any buttons inside iirc just metal tabs that get pressed by contacts ont he joystick -not sure about the CX-40. (the FB2 uses modern dome switches -which atariksi criticized)

I often end up using my thumb on the VCS joysticks too -at least until it becomes uncomfortable.

You use your thumb on the VCS joystick? I would agree that having the stick there makes things easier and less tiresome on the long run. All the arcade controls for most games involving digital motion seem to have that stick especially pacman/ms.pacman/donkey kong/etc.

Just get a pair of old style PC joystick extension cords. They work perfectly. If you look on the Net hard enough, you usually can get them pretty cheaply.

Allan

Very cool - ask and ye shall receive! Thanks for the tip.

Even a Y cable would work as well like here:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3503442349701?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=350344234970&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]