IGNORED

What if video games never advanced past the Atari 2600!!???

moycon

Turok is right!!!

I had done one for Grand Theft Auto 3 as well, But must have deleted it.

Its neat to imagine if graphic wise games never advanced but the storage did so you could have Haunted House with 100's of rooms... But with 2600 style graphics.

I think that inextremis staple has a good point, if all there ever was a 2600 then people could focus on the important stuff, namely the game. and could leave all the fanboyism alone. Everyone is entitled to their personal preference but i can't stand the people who post msgs like "all xbox owners are stupid cause gamecube rules". If ya wanna debate flaws of system that is fine but, I don't understand the whole my system is better than your system argument.

I suppose you're implying the shot is a fake MOC????

I'll have you know its a loaner cart my brothers, cousins, uncles, hippy love child got from a pot smoking Atari employee back in the day.

I used a Nipon 35mm camera to take that picture and I say that the Atari 2600 had a "deli chip" that was perfectly capable of displaying delicious graphics like that.

@ Newbies

Have you ever.....

Clicked on "Search" at the top of the page...

Entered "What might have been" in the Search for Keywords field...

"moycon" as the Search for author field...

and "Atari 2600" as the forum...

Then hit search and looked for threads started by moycon???

If not, and youd like to see more MOC's... Do so with haste!!

Nice picture of Zelda.

As for had games not gotten better graphically than the 2600, I think gameplay would have been the best selling point and games today would be better rather than constantly using the Quake3 engine or using Unreal engine over and over and over and over...you get the picture.

There are very feel original games anymore. Everyone seems to borrow from everyone else.

If you look at NES and it's evolution, it's likely the same could have applied to the 2600. TRhe early NES games were limited to 32K and required some logic chips to bankswitch larger games. And then when MMC chip came along, huge multiscrolling games were possible, along with battery saves. And with MMC5, the screen resolution also improved considerably.

Had Atari 2600 stayed around, it's possible someone would have already done a number of high resolution games via interlacing and possibly be able to display more sprites without flickering and such. It's possible the best looking Atari 2600 game could surpass 5200 graphics and even compare to a typical 7800 games.

The DPC chip in Pitfall II is as far as you can go when it comes to extending the audio and video capabilities of the 2600 via the cart port. If you could mix the DPC with cart-RAM ala the Supercharger maybe you could go even further than we've seen to date.

With this kind of hardware you bring the 2600 really close to the Atari 8-bit in capabilities, but still with limitations in the playfield department.

Remember, memory only gets you so far with the 2600. You really need more processing time. Being able to store graphics data in RAM and do self-modifying code and stuff can help there, but the DPC goes even further in being able to auto-index through data without CPU intervention, very much like a coprocessor. It's a miracle that such a device was even possible given the important signals that are missing from the 2600's cart port.

I think the guy who is doing the 2600-on-a-chip should see if he can clone the DPC too. Then we'd be able to do new DPC-enabled games which would really be something to see (and hear, with the multiplexed audio).

Activision planned to eventually do more DPC games than Pitfall II but the crash put an end to that.