IGNORED

What are your favourite Atari 2600 sound effects?

Supermarket

I'm wondering what all your favourite Atari 2600 sound effects are, and what games they're in? I'm composing some music at the moment and am looking for some inspiration from my favourite console (it's electronic breakbeat stuff, using lo-fi samples).

One of my favourites is the lush sound when E.T. is beamed down to earth at the beginning of the game. of the same name... looking forward to hearing yours!

One of my favourites is the lush sound when E.T. is beamed down to earth at the beginning of the game. of the same name... looking forward to hearing yours!

That's one of my favorite sounds too, but a lot of people get that confused puppy look when you say that because they've only heard the mangled version of it in an emulator:

In case you don't know, you can recreate many classic game sounds and possibly come up with new ones by playing with Tone Toy 2008.

That was a fascinating comparison. E.T. and the opening sound music (and graphic) was just amazing for the 2600 I thought. I really liked E.T. as a game.

Other sounds I like... I have to admit, I find myself imitating the typical Pac-Man (2600) and Donkey Kong sound effects when I talk about the 2600.

I also like the "Splat" sound in Circus Atari and got many hours of laughter with my family on that one as a kid.

And because I like Warlords so much, the sound of the ball bouncing off your shield or being fired from your shield.

Music for the Zots in Tunnel Runner wins the prize.

I also love the sound of the explosion in Atlantis when you hit a small ship.

It almost sounds like a bass kicker is hidden in the 2600.

At the end of a game in M-Network Baseball the game makes a "YEROUT!" kind of noise that is awesome.

The team left out in the field turns from red or blue to black after the last out.

We swore the game was saying, "YOU'RE BURNT!" as it turned the players black. This was a way to rub it into the losers face

and we loved it. It was like the winning team set the losing team on fire or whatever worked in the mind of 10 year olds.

To this day, whenever my brother beats me at anything (or I beat him) we shout 'YOU'RE BURNT" to each other.

Edited by therealred5

I find myself imitating the typical Pac-Man (2600) and Donkey Kong sound effects when I talk about the 2600.

I'm not a huge fan of the Pac-Man sound effects but I have to admit I keep hearing them in movies and commercials. They've become the de facto sounds to indicate "this guy is playing a video game" in a scene. The best one was Febreeze where the mom comes in to yell at the kid but because his room smells nice she becomes happy. The kid is clearly playing a GameBoy Advance SP and yet it is definitely 2600 Pac-Man bleeping and blooping out of it.

That was a fascinating comparison. E.T. and the opening sound music (and graphic) was just amazing for the 2600 I thought. I really liked E.T. as a game.

Other sounds I like... I have to admit, I find myself imitating the typical Pac-Man (2600) and Donkey Kong sound effects when I talk about the 2600.

I also like the "Splat" sound in Circus Atari and got many hours of laughter with my family on that one as a kid.

And because I like Warlords so much, the sound of the ball bouncing off your shield or being fired from your shield.

Yes,i find myself imitating 2600 Pac-Man and DK sounds...ohhhh,thats why everyone was looking at me weird on the BUS the other day.

The victory "tune" at the end of Adventure I think is my favorite. Even though Adventure doesn't have a lot of sound, I love all of the FX.

Actually, now that you mention it, the LACK of sound in Adventure is a cool sound effect.

Twice as scary when the Dragon chomps all loud.

The song in the homebrew Flap Ping has to be my all time favorite. It has a great beat. Makes me laugh and wiggle.

And I love the sound in Adventure, which someone mentioned above, when you slay a dragon with the sword (which sounds earily similar to the sounds in Pac-man when eating ghosts).

And the Tarzan-ish music in Pitfall when you grab a vine is quite fine.

Again, I have to go with quite possibly my fav 2600 game...E.T.

Not only the ship, but as Random has pointed out...the walking sound effects. Now, nothing too special, BUT considering the sound gets louder as the Agent/Scientist/Elliot gets closer and fades as they walk away...that's freaking awesome! HSW really put alot into this game considering how much time he DIDN'T have to complete it. E.T. RULES!!!

'Swing Low Sweet Chariot', played when you die in Moonsweeper. The perfect, bittersweet end to a perfect game. Gotta love it.

The sound effects in Solaris are outstanding too, especially the cacophany you get when you nuke a planet or gate.

There are all kinds of cool Atari 2600 sound effects. Maybe that's another reason why people love the Atari 2600 so much. Other consoles to follow were OK, but they didn't have the same type of memorable sound effects that many Atari 2600 games had. Great Atari 2600 sound effects eat into your brain, make a nest, and lay eggs.

The first one that comes to mind is the sound when you clear a row (the red one especially) in Circus Atari. That 'bippity bippity' sound effect.....soothing to my ears! LOL The Adventure fanfare at the end, like others said, and the 'jump' noise in Keystone Kapers....

Edited by lhfreak