IGNORED

Bosconian on the 8-bit

littleman jack

The title most similar to "Bosconian" is Synapse Software's "Survivor". Sadly, it's nowhere as exciting. Like too many other great arcade titles (Galaga, Phoenix, Tempest (OK, WIP now), Time Pilot, Elevator Action, etc.) this sadly was never ported to the Atari 8-bit computers. And some ports - like Battlezone or Gauntlet - were just plain awful and several others - like Xevious or Arkanoid - mediocre.

Thorsten

The title most similar to "Bosconian" is Synapse Software's "Survivor". Sadly, it's nowhere as exciting. Like too many other great arcade titles (Galaga, Phoenix, Tempest (OK, WIP now), Time Pilot, Elevator Action, etc.) this sadly was never ported to the Atari 8-bit computers. And some ports - like Battlezone or Gauntlet - were just plain awful and several others - like Xevious or Arkanoid - mediocre.

Thorsten

I always wondered why Atari never brought Phoenix to the 8 Bits. Especially considering how popular Demon Attack was. It seemed like a logical thing to do.

And some ports - like Battlezone or Gauntlet - were just plain awful and several others - like Xevious or Arkanoid - mediocre.

After seeing how Bomb Jack turned out, I'd love to see how well a new Gauntlet could be done.

Just having a look at Firebird's "Druid" gives me an idea how "Gauntlet" should have looked like, as does "Unicum" for "Arkanoid".

Thorsten

It could be ported if the programmer is familiar with some advance techniques used on the Atari to boost onscreen colors. If I were to do a retro port of game like this, would probably do it with multiplexing multicolor player/missile graphics (bit 5 on PRIOR) on an Antic 4 screen to get close to the number of onscreen colors the arcade had.

Edited by peteym5

• 2 months later...