IGNORED

I think the Lynx is still my favorite handheld

Lord Thag

I've been playing the Big Kitty recently, and you know, this system is still the best. Out of all the handhelds I own, there are more excellent games (percentage-wise) in the library than almost anything else. The Neo Geo pocket is damn close, but there are so many great Arcade ports of games that didn't get a lot of notice on the lynx. It's like the burial ground for every obscure-yet-awesome arcade game of the late eighties and early nineties.

Xenphobe, Paperboy, Jouse, Ms Pac, Xybots, Stun Runner, APB, and so on. Perfect games for a handheld. Fun, quick, and easy to play. If you want something with more meat on it, there is Xenophobe, Rampage, Shadow of the Beast, Raiden, Gauntlet, Battlezone (the extended version) and my personal favorite handheld game ever, Todd's Adventure in Slime World.

This system is just the best. Whenever I come back to it, I'm always suprised at how well it's held up. With the extra battery pack, you get an extra twenty hours of battery life, so it's the perfect system for a long train trip. Sure, there are a few stinkers in the library, but not many. I love my Lynx, and I'm lucky enough to have my original unit I picked up on clearance back in the early nineties. Just with a lot more games :D

The kitty may be a bit fat, but he's still king of the block. :thumbsup:

Edited by Lord Thag

i like the nomad better even if its games are nearly bigger than the system especially playing sonic and knuckles with sonic 2 on a game genie

dont get me wrong i'm a guge atari fan but after a while the pad hurts my thumb on the lynx

and you can fit every game for the lynx in a front pocket

i like the nomad better even if its games are nearly bigger than the system especially playing sonic and knuckles with sonic 2 on a game genie

dont get me wrong i'm a guge atari fan but after a while the pad hurts my thumb on the lynx

and you can fit every game for the lynx in a front pocket

nomad is cool but nomad is a portable genesis...so it doesnt really count by many handheld "purists." sega gamegear is more along the lines of what the lynx is.

I spent a lot of time playing the Sega Genesis when I was younger. Joe Montana's Sportstalk Football, Shadowrun, Humans, etc.

I really enjoyed the Nomad the few times I have owned one. It is a great little system.

The GameGear... I had it. Never really could get into it that much.

The Lynx... well... you know my position on that one. LOL

I need to change my avatar now that I sold off the TG stuff. lol

One of the things I love about the Lynx (besides the form factor, games, etc.) is the sound. All games have a distinctive sound that only the Lynx hardware seems to produce. It's like the NES in that regard. You can usually tell an NES game by the sounds alone. The Lynx is still my favorite handheld as well. The DS and GBA follow closely behind. Game Gear = meh. I keep it around because it can play my Master System games. Other than that, it doesn't do anything for me.

Wishful thinking here, but if there was a pocket-sized Lynx, I'd still be taking it with me on trips today. Anybody want to build one?

Yeah, no kidding huh? I'd buy two!

Another thing I like about the Lynx is that it's gi-normous. The Lynx might have been better dubbed as the 'Mammoth'. For all it's size, it fits great in the hand though, and it's got a nice big screen too. I occasionally get a kick out of taking it around town. I almost always get a 'what the hell is THAT thing' comment from someone, which gives me a chance to jaw about how great it is. People who've never messed around with one always end up being very surprised at how advanced it is for it's age. It really was. It kicks the crap out of everything up until the Neo Geo pocket, and it's pretty damn close to that. Heck, with a higher quality screen, you probably couldn't tell the difference without a second glance.

I'm also really happy. I scored a lot of about twelve boxed games today, which brings me up to about 55 games now. Woot!

Game Gear = portable master system. Does that negate it from the handheld scene?

Except that the Game Gear had many, many games that weren't on the Master System and a larger color palette. The Nomad has no games of its own. It is literally just a portable Genesis. The Game Gear and Master System share a lot of games, but each also has many, many exclusives.

Game Gear = portable master system. Does that negate it from the handheld scene?

Except that the Game Gear had many, many games that weren't on the Master System and a larger color palette. The Nomad has no games of its own. It is literally just a portable Genesis. The Game Gear and Master System share a lot of games, but each also has many, many exclusives.

how does one define a hand held system?

maybe its just me but i would say it is a video game that has a built in video display and operates on batterys

like the turbo graphics 16 express

why should the games it uses have any bearing on the "handheld device"

cause what is the gp2x?

I'd say a handheld is anything you can hold in your hands and walk anywhere with. Obviously there's gotta be a "screen" and some kinda mode where you can run without being wired to the wall. I guess that even qualifies those little ball bearing games that work on gravity as handheld games.

I'd say a handheld is anything you can hold in your hands and walk anywhere with. Obviously there's gotta be a "screen" and some kinda mode where you can run without being wired to the wall. I guess that even qualifies those little ball bearing games that work on gravity as handheld games.

haa funny

here is my handheld connect 4 game

DCP_6584.jpg

I feel the same way about the Lynx. It still is, and will always be, my favourite handheld. :) I own a PSP as well. I like it but it's not really getting played that much (maybe I need to pick up some new games for it).

I find it a little bit hard to adopt to the small size of modern handhelds. For me the Lynx size is perfect, I agree it really fits great in the hands. (I prefer the Lynx II).

So If I ever was to buy a Nintendo DS it has to be the old thick version. But I don't see me getting a DS anytime soon. (although I have to admit it has some cool and unique games).