IGNORED

Just a quick question with homebrews... and airports.

EricDeLee

Do you think there would be any issues bringing a Lynx homebrew game into an airport?

I was thinking about taking my Lynx to Orlando... along with alpine games.

Wondering if they will give it a funny look or two... or worse yet... confiscate it. Has anyone tried it over the past few years?

I took my Lynx and the big battery pack about 4 years ago... and they reallllllly looked it over and asked a lot of questions.

I may have to just power up the PSP instead.

Do you think there would be any issues bringing a Lynx homebrew game into an airport?

Wondering if they will give it a funny look or two... or worse yet... confiscate it. Has anyone tried it over the past few years?

I took my Lynx and the big battery pack about 4 years ago... and they reallllllly looked it over and asked a lot of questions.

I would go with the PSP instead. The security geeks will have seen more of them and may let you through. Those guys are judge and jury at every gate I have gone through since 2002. Don't risk it ! The Lynx is too valuable to be knocked around by security.

Just my two cents.

What does a homebrew Lynx game look like?

A bundle of road flares and an alarm clock?

A bowling ball with a piece of twine drilled into the side?

A small circuit board with a chip (EPROM) on it.

Mitch

That's what I was picturing. A friend of mine had a prototype board for his Lynx with no outer case. He mailed it to himself instead of taking it on a plane. I think exposed circuit traces and/or a chip would test the dubious training of the hired security. It's a sad fact that we have lost certain freedoms we once enjoyed in our fight to protect "freedom".

On a commercial flight back in 2000, I was able to check an entire box of computer junk that I bought in the SF Bay area. I would never consider trying that today.

---

I've gone through the airport with both a Lynx and several cases of prototypes. Sometimes they stop you, sometimes they don't. If they do, all you have to say is that it's an old gaming system and they'll let you be on your way. Worse comes to worst, they may make you turn it on or something, but they won't confiscate it.

Tempest

I've gone through the airport with both a Lynx and several cases of prototypes.

I can picture that in my mind's eye.... then he flashes security a little card ... "Master of Prototypes". :D

It all depended on the person maning the checkpoint. Most of them recognized and understood "Atari" or "Old Video Game", but I also ran into a few people who didn't know what the hell I was talking about and made me open everything up. That only happened once or twice and that was right after 9/11 as well.

Tempest

I guess you can never be to careful in airport security. I hate the liquids rule. I flew out of Dulles airport in Washington Pa about 2 years ago. I had a tube of stuff which is basically wax for extremely dry hands and they didn't like seeing that on the carry-on X-ray , not one bit. Never thought PCB's and Eproms would get flagged though.

I guess you can never be to careful in airport security. I hate the liquids rule. I flew out of Dulles airport in Washington Pa about 2 years ago. I had a tube of stuff which is basically wax for extremely dry hands and they didn't like seeing that on the carry-on X-ray , not one bit. Never thought PCB's and Eproms would get flagged though.

I have my own way to handle... dont fly :D

As someone who flies every week for work, I would say that you may not want to bring a prototype game with you through TSA. Sadly, the IQ of most TSA folks is in the low range and they feel that because they have "authority" they can do whatever they want since you can't really argue. I travel with a transparent plastic sleeve in which I keep the ID and the boarding pass and I've had a number of TSA rocket scientist tell me that that needs to go through X-ray! A circuit board with an EPROM on it might look too suspicious to them and now they have the authority to confiscate anything (including your laptop) if they feel they need to. The Lynx itself should be fine as it is clear it is a game system. I have traveled with mine several times sine 9/11 with no issues.

I would just keep it in the system and if Tempest can fly with as many Protos as I have seen him bring to Philly then it should be fairtly safe. I travel with either my GG or DS usually and had no problems. "Old Video Game System" should work just fine if they ask any questions but that's only my advice.

Safe travels! :)

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldnt worry about the game itself. its usually the console that is a pain to take through security. I have had to take mine out of my backpack and out of its carry case several times. The Lynx II is especially thick, so the x-ray machine doesnt see through. so i guess I'm glad that security is paying attention to possible "bomb looking" devices. so just pack your lynx in your backpack loose then put it in the little plastic bin with your shoes. That way they wont bother you. You don't look suspicious to you? haha Just kidding!