IGNORED

Ball-Crip (my new game)

blueterrance

I had to make a atari game for my embedded games class and made this one I call "Ball-Crip" using batari. It's 2 players and the point is to knock the ball into the other person's goal. It's pretty fun and we've played it a lot in the lab here.

I've attached the source code to this message in hopes that someone will want to add playfield collision functionality. Right now it doesn't actually calculate collisions with the playfield; it just knows where the outside borders are. It would be nice if we could make different levels with various playfield obstacles to keep the gameplay strategy fresh.

If you just want to look really quick here is a link to it running in JStella:

http://www.mpdairy.com/games/ballcrip.html

For the binary attached here I used batari's scoring but I blanked out all of the digits so they wouldn't show up (I just changed the actual bitmaps in the asm file), so if you recompile the basic code they'll probably show up in your new binary.

Thanks to "SeaGtGruff" for helping me with negating fixed-point numbers.

ballcrip.bin

ballcrip.bas

Is there a reason why almost every line has a line number?

Um...

That's how the example was so I thought it was required. Those numbers were so annoying to deal with too, oh well.

Can you tell me what example you're talking about? Do you mean an example on the following page or something else:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me...c-commands.html

Thanks.

I had to make a atari game for my embedded games class and made this one I call "Ball-Crip" using batari. It's 2 players and the point is to knock the ball into the other person's goal. It's pretty fun and we've played it a lot in the lab here.

I've attached the source code to this message in hopes that someone will want to add playfield collision functionality. Right now it doesn't actually calculate collisions with the playfield; it just knows where the outside borders are. It would be nice if we could make different levels with various playfield obstacles to keep the gameplay strategy fresh.

If you just want to look really quick here is a link to it running in JStella:

http://www.mpdairy.com/games/ballcrip.html

For the binary attached here I used batari's scoring but I blanked out all of the digits so they wouldn't show up (I just changed the actual bitmaps in the asm file), so if you recompile the basic code they'll probably show up in your new binary.

Thanks to "SeaGtGruff" for helping me with negating fixed-point numbers.

It's a cool game,. My only thought while playing it was that it handles a little slow.

I suppose for the playfield collision you could statically define them in a data array using pfhline and pfvline to draw them, then select which one to use before play begins.

Another interesting feature might be to add some button functionality. For instance, what if a button press drew a temporary wake of playfield pixels, that could be used to block/angle shots (like the tron cycle's wake, expect disapearing after a few loops?) With the players so small and the handling so slow, it's hard to home-in on the puck, so this might lend an extra element of surprise and stategy to the game. Plus, if you have a mode select before play begins, I suppose you could turn that feature on and off.

Hey, that's a good idea about the wake of pixels. We were thinking of button functionality, but only ever thought of some way to shoot momentum away from you or something.

The example that I based my game off of was one of the ones that came with the batari zip, though I don't know which one it was. That site you linked to actually led me to believe that line numbers might not be necessary. I did eventually figure out that the line numbers didn't need to be in any particular order, which was quite helpful once I ran out of numbers in an area.

The example that I based my game off of was one of the ones that came with the batari zip, though I don't know which one it was. That site you linked to actually led me to believe that line numbers might not be necessary. I did eventually figure out that the line numbers didn't need to be in any particular order, which was quite helpful once I ran out of numbers in an area.

Thanks. I updated my version of the bB page and the official version so it says the following under Things You Should Know:

You Don't Have to Use Line Numbers

Line numbers were mandatory when using old style BASIC languages, but batari Basic is more like later versions of BASIC, so line numbers are no longer necessary. You can use line numbers if you want, but remember to use them like labels instead of putting them at the beginning of every line of code.

Maybe that will help others in the future until batari updates the example programs.

Correct, line numbers aren't necessary, and needn't be in numerical order. In fact, line "numbers" are really alphanumeric line *labels*-- they're characters, just like letters or other special symbols (e.g., the underline character). The only time you need to use a line label is when you want to be able to branch to a particular line of code-- usually the first line of a routine or subroutine, but also the first line of a loop, or any other line that you need to branch to. Line labels are also used to give names to data tables. And unlike the older versions of the BASIC language where you couldn't have a line number on a blank line (usually because entering a line number without anything after it was the way you *deleted* a line of code), you can put a line label on a line all by itself-- and blank lines are okay, too.

Michael