IGNORED

how do you program?

Atari freak 1

Its called 6502 Assembly, its MEGA tough and WAY complicated. I'll spare you the contempt of the programmers and give you the stock answer:

"Check out the Stella List Archives and Dan Boris' Page."

Its kind of like jumping in the 20 ft end of the pool when you don't know how to swim, but that's about all the help you are going to get. :roll:

I've been learning for nearly a year now and I can BARELY generate a playfield correctly. It is very tough stuff. But I'll get it eventually.

Though, somebody hereabouts was creating a beginner's guide...

Good Luck

I'll spare you the contempt of the programmers...

Ah, ah, ah Stan. That's hardly fair. You've been witness to the goofy questions asked in the past. Asked over-and-over again. By people who then disappear. I believe the programmers have every right to be testy whenever yet another "Atari Corporation" comes down the pike.

I don't think it's contempt so much as a heavy sigh and an answer of "Well, here's the other 20 threads we've responded to answering this same question." In fact, a simple "search" on the Programming Board will unload just about every website dedicated to 2600 programming out there. I know because I dumped them in there for Idea Revolutions on their FIRST round of assistance begging.

"Contempt" indeed. You goofy headed StanJr, you. :P

Anyway, now that I got my diatribe out of the way, here's a website that Kirk's put together that's a GREAT place to start for the budding 2600 programmer. He's got links to everything you need and is working on a step-by-step tutorial. Wade through the material here:

Beginner's Guide to Atari 2600 Programming

Contemptuously yours,

Sniderman

I found some site explaining it, but that wasn't what I was asking, I was to know what you program on, Can you program on a PC?

What program do I use?

As Tim (Sniderman) suggested above, please search the programming forum first. Most of the answeres are already there. :idea:

perhaps "contempt" was the wrong word, but everytime somebody asks (genuine or assinine) its seems they get shrugged off on the Stella List or Dan Boris page immediately without much else. I understand the annoyance and the repetition of it all, but it just comes across as curt to me, and I know these guys (programmers) are NOT rude people, but I think it can come across that way.

Programming 6502 IS very very difficult and requires mucho smarts, but I think anyone who is genuinely interested should be encouraged and I think it is also the duty of those who have blazed the homebrew trail to help those who honestly want to learn. (This usually happens when someone asks specific questions, rather than general ones).

So maybe "contempt" was not what I was going for. I'm not sure what else to call it though.

As for Atari freak's query, as far as I know you can program on any modern computer (Mac, PC, etc). I don't think it really matters. I currently use NOTEPAD to dabble in 6502.

I think it is also the duty of those who have blazed the homebrew trail to help those who honestly want to learn.

Well, to stretch the point a bit, I also know how to drive a car, bake a quiche, and perform stand-up comedy. Is it my "duty" to teach these skills to anyone who may want to learn just because I've mastered them first? Hardly.

Example: A friend of mine once sold his computer via classified ads. A little old lady bought it. Then she demanded that, since she bought it, he should set it up for her. So, good-naturedly, he did. Then she wanted him to show her how "Windows" works. I'm talking every ingle program contained within. After several hours, he finally returned how. She called later that day, demanding to be taught how to "send e-mails."

"Ma'am, I sold the computer to you. It's *your* job to learn how to use it. If I sold you a car, you have expected driving instructions?" was his response.

So, maybe the 2600 programmers (of which I am not) think that, since they went through the rite-of-passage of learning "on their own," perhaps a budding programmer might want to prove he/she have grasped the basics and done a little research on their own before the programmers open up their arms and welcome them warmly.

I don't really think they "owe" anyone anything more than "Good for you for wanting to learn! Here's where *I* started!" then shipping them to the Stella List or Dan Boris' page.

Not bustin' your chops Stan (well, maybe a little), but "duty" is something reserved for soldiers and servicemen. Not for guys in their basements cobbling together ASM code.

My smart comment aside, if you don't want to help him, dont. If you do...please do so. I get so tired when you go someplace and ask for help, someone tells you to read thousands of pages of documents. If I know something, I'll certainly try everything I can to share that knowledge. I won't do it for you, but I shouldn't have to. I can give you a brief example and then "kindly" point you to some documentation that goes along with that example.

Cap

I see your point, Snider old buddy, but since when is it the wrong thing to do to help someone out? No I agree that old lady took advantage, but your friend could have said, "I've helped you as much as I can right now, but maybe you can use this feature "HELP" to get you by."

AND. When my company hires a new employee, being senior instructor I have to train that employee, and therefore pass along my knowledge and experience to that new person. Its my duty to another person who is interested in doing what I do.

I just think that if you have special knowledge of something and someone shows GENUINE interest, it is the right thing to do to help them out. Not play some "superiority" game and make them go through the same hard knocks you did. That's a tad bit selfish. There are ENOUGH hard knocks in 6502 regardless of how much help you get. :D

I'm not calling anybody out or anything. Its all good. :)

Is it my "duty" to teach these skills to anyone who may want to learn just because I've mastered them first? Hardly.

For the last time!

I wasn't asking for help on how to program, I wanted to know if you could use a modern Pc, or if I would have to do it on, an apple or something.

Sheesh!

I already did my reaserch, I when to pages, and read a little bit of tutorials, the I said to my self, "What do I program on?, Do I use a program? I couldn't find anything on the net so ask you guys.

Someone should just FAQ this thread. Go here:

Fine then

It's a thread from another budding young programmer who was also quite serious in their endevours. (Which may explain earlier cynacism.) Sift through the vitriol and you'll find EVERY KNOWN 2600 PROGRAMMING SITE. There is info on how to program, what programs you'll need to get started, etc. This one thread should answer all of your questions.

And, with that, I'm done. Happy ASMing!

To the original poster:

I haven't done any Atari 2600 programming myself, but to answer you question, I'll say that you can do the programming on your PC.

You'll probably begin by typing your code using your favorite "text" editor (mine happens to be MS-DOS Edit for some reason).

Once that is done, you'll need something to compile your code. I'm guessing that there are plenty of free ones out there. A search on google of something like "free 6502 compiler" may be of help. It'd more-then-likely be a command-line-tool so you'd open a command prompt and do something like this:

cd atariprograms

a2600c mygame

where a2600c would be the compiler and mygame would be the name of your sourcecode. There could also be switches (IE: -abcd...) that may do certain things for you as well.

Cap

Someone should just FAQ this thread. Go here:

Fine then

It's a thread from another budding young programmer who was also quite serious in their endevours. (Which may explain earlier cynacism.) Sift through the vitriol and you'll find EVERY KNOWN 2600 PROGRAMMING SITE. There is info on how to program, what programs you'll need to get started, etc. This one thread should answer all of your questions.

And, with that, I'm done. Happy ASMing!

That's a good one.. I've also been fond of this thread. "A game Idea" since it literally goes right to what you need to do to:

1. type up a proggy in a text editor (notepad)

2. what program to use to compile it (DASM), and what to actually type to do it.

etc.