IGNORED

Got burned on a Wico on eBay

Atari2008

So I was trying to enhance my 5200 experience (although I've been doing alright with the stock 5200 sticks), and I thought I was getting a deal on a Wico with Y-cable on eBay which the seller claimed works, and of course it doesn't! I'm so mad because I was excited to try out a different joystick on the 5200 but I'm also mad because I should've known better than to get something on eBay. It's so weird because the fire buttons work but the joystick doesn't, I tried it with Berzerk and the man just moves in various directions without me moving the joystick at all...in Pac-Man he just goes left and down and that's about it...the character movements don't correspond to where I move the joystick. And the stick doesn't self-center if I push up, it just stays there. This sucks.

Going to try to get my money back although I doubt it...it says no refunds, no guarantees. ARGH!

There's a switch on the bottom that controls whether it self-centers or not. For the other issue, what are you using for a keypad? Do you have the Wico keypad or are you using the y-cable with a standard 5200 stick? If the latter, make sure the standard stick is centered as well or it will overide the Wico.

Mitch

There's a switch on the bottom that controls whether it self-centers or not. For the other issue, what are you using for a keypad? Do you have the Wico keypad or are you using the y-cable with a standard 5200 stick? If the latter, make sure the standard stick is centered as well or it will overide the Wico.

Mitch

Both of the switches are locked so that it does self center and it does, except when I push the joystick up, then it just sits in the up position. I'm using a stock 5200 controller for the keypad. The 5200 controller looks pretty centered to me but I'll try messing around with that see if I can get it to work. What I don't get are the two red switches on the side labeled with an -X- and a -Y-. What settings are those supposed to be on?

Thanks!

Edited by Atari2008

Mitch

Both of the switches are locked so that it does self center and it does, except when I push the joystick up, then it just sits in the up position. I'm using a stock 5200 controller for the keypad. The 5200 controller looks pretty centered to me but I'll try messing around with that see if I can get it to work. What I don't get are the two red switches on the side labeled with an -X- and a -Y-. What settings are those supposed to be on?

Thanks!

It sounds like the up/down switch didn't lock properly. Try unlocking it and then center the joystick and relock it. The X and Y sliders on the side are trimmers for adjusting the center of the stick. Usually you want them to be centered and you tweak them a little if you stick tends to go to one direction too much.

Mitch

Mitch

Thanks!

It sounds like the up/down switch didn't lock properly. Try unlocking it and then center the joystick and relock it. The X and Y sliders on the side are trimmers for adjusting the center of the stick. Usually you want them to be centered and you tweak them a little if you stick tends to go to one direction too much.

Mitch

I've tried everything, it just doesn't seem to work. I would try with another 5200 controller but unfortunately my 2nd controller doesn't work. Thank you for your help though, I guess next time I'll be more selective of whom I buy classic gaming stuff from.

You might also try adjusting the internal controller pot on the 5200 motherboard. If its not calibrated right it can cause sticks to pull one direction or another. I usually use Super Breakout or Missle Command with the joystick centered then adjust the pot until the paddle or cursor is centered on screen. Also, try dripping a little alcohol on the pot and work it back and forth a few times to clean it.

Also the position of the 5200 stick plugged into the wico's y-cable won't interfere as the y-cable only has the keypad connections wired to it. The fire buttons and joystick on the controller won't function.

You might also try adjusting the internal controller pot on the 5200 motherboard. If its not calibrated right it can cause sticks to pull one direction or another. I usually use Super Breakout or Missle Command with the joystick centered then adjust the pot until the paddle or cursor is centered on screen. Also, try dripping a little alcohol on the pot and work it back and forth a few times to clean it.

Also the position of the 5200 stick plugged into the wico's y-cable won't interfere as the y-cable only has the keypad connections wired to it. The fire buttons and joystick on the controller won't function.

amen to that the y cable doesnt connect the joy or the buttons of the origional

i always use choplifter to inpsect my joysticks

the wicos are fiddly it takes a little to get it perfect

welcome to the war

You're right, I think I'm getting it confused with the y-cable on the Comp Pro.

Mitch

I've never opened up a console so I'm not comfortable checking out the controller pot, but I'm not sure if that's an issue though. I've never had any problems with the stock 5200 controller being pulled in one direction or another. Unless this is something that only comes into play with the Wico? All this drama with the Wico has made me appreciate the stock sticks even more.

I've never opened up a console so I'm not comfortable checking out the controller pot, but I'm not sure if that's an issue though. I've never had any problems with the stock 5200 controller being pulled in one direction or another. Unless this is something that only comes into play with the Wico? All this drama with the Wico has made me appreciate the stock sticks even more.

Its really quite easy to access just remove the top of your 5200. On my personal machine the stock sticks worked fine even when it was out of adjustment. I noticed a problem with it when I built a masterplay clone and it didn't work too well. Also, one of my two wicos, functioned erratically until I adjusted and cleaned the 5200 motherboard controller pot. Worth a try imo.

post-7533-1224047648_thumb.jpg

Just my $0.02.

Its really quite easy to access just remove the top of your 5200. On my personal machine the stock sticks worked fine even when it was out of adjustment. I noticed a problem with it when I built a masterplay clone and it didn't work too well. Also, one of my two wicos, functioned erratically until I adjusted and cleaned the 5200 motherboard controller pot. Worth a try imo.

post-7533-1224047648_thumb.jpg

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the diagram, it doesn't look so bad now. I'll give it a shot. I didn't realize that the stock sticks would work fine even if the pot was not adjusted.

Going to try to get my money back although I doubt it...it says no refunds, no guarantees. ARGH!

If you payed via paypal and the auction stated that the stick was in good working condition, you should be able to file a complaint and get at least a partial refund.

Actually, the seller proved to be very nice and she's agreed to take it back for a refund. So I'm mailing it back today. :) Crisis averted, and I like my stock sticks so much more after this experience. I didn't really have a problem with them it's just I feel sometimes in a heated game of Pac-Man I miss a turn because of them, so I wanted to see what an alternative controller would do.

If you payed via paypal and the auction stated that the stick was in good working condition, you should be able to file a complaint and get at least a partial refund.

Actually, the seller proved to be very nice and she's agreed to take it back for a refund. So I'm mailing it back today. :) Crisis averted, and I like my stock sticks so much more after this experience. I didn't really have a problem with them it's just I feel sometimes in a heated game of Pac-Man I miss a turn because of them, so I wanted to see what an alternative controller would do.

man i hope it doesnt get trashed i bet i could fix it

tell the seller to list it as a fix-er up-er

i want it

i want it

I will let her know to re-list it as something that could be repaired when she gets it back. I wouldn't want it to go to waste either since I would imagine they're becoming rarer these days.

I might just stick with the stock joysticks after all since I'm left handed and realized it would be hard for me to use the Wico.

i want it

I will let her know to re-list it as something that could be repaired when she gets it back. I wouldn't want it to go to waste either since I would imagine they're becoming rarer these days.

I might just stick with the stock joysticks after all since I'm left handed and realized it would be hard for me to use the Wico.

yea or at least it could be used for parts or as a museum representitave piece

You are so correct about this. Most guys really don't know that their system is to blame for the WICO not owrking correctly. Simple fix but intimidating to the nontechnical guys. Once you do adjust the pot on the motherboard its like night and day with all the controllers. Best advice for anyone right here. ;)

i want it

I dont think its broke. You just need to adjust the pot. I had the same problem and it is a easy fix. I would have kept it. The WICO stick is by far better then the stock controller IMO. The fact that it is not only analog, but self centering. The only thing better is using a competition pro in series with the WICO. That away you can have digital or analog.

I've been told that the Ycable needs to be WICO brand. I havent actually tested it so does Anyone know if that is 100% true?

I have about 6 Wicos that all work great but only one y cable and 1 Keypad. I'd like to get more Ycables for myself and sell off 2 of my Wico controllers.

Does anyone know if the aftermarket y-cables actually work?

I've been told that the Ycable needs to be WICO brand. I havent actually tested it so does Anyone know if that is 100% true?

I have about 6 Wicos that all work great but only one y cable and 1 Keypad. I'd like to get more Ycables for myself and sell off 2 of my Wico controllers.

Does anyone know if the aftermarket y-cables actually work?

Well its not just a basic y-cable as it has a 9-pin and a 15-pin end, wired a certain way, so unless the cable was specifically designed to work with the wicos it won't. I would imagine it would be fairly simple to make either clones of the wico y-cable or even the wico keypad that would work fine with the wico joysticks.

Perhaps, you can talk to the seller that you will ship to another person who wants it so you save on shipping and make a better solution.

Pac-man was the one of the reasons I had about 100 of my own joystick adapters made for the Atari 5200. The auction ended on one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320308589020. If you want to give it a shot, let me know. Pac-man gives you more control using the arrow keys on the PC (in my opinion).

Perhaps, you can talk to the seller that you will ship to another person who wants it so you save on shipping and make a better solution.

Pac-man was the one of the reasons I had about 100 of my own joystick adapters made for the Atari 5200. The auction ended on one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320308589020. If you want to give it a shot, let me know. Pac-man gives you more control using the arrow keys on the PC (in my opinion).

I've already shipped it to the seller, but I do plan on talking to her, when she receives it, about re-listing it, and I'll explain that there are collectors out there who can repair it. If/when she does re-list, I plan on posting on here so anyone interested can have a chance.

I know I didn't really get a chance to game with the Wico but I wasn't too impressed with the joystick itself, even when locked, it felt loose and mushy; more so than my stock 5200 stick. Also, I found the Wico difficult to use if you're left handed and need to press the fire buttons.

I don't know why, but I just really enjoy the 5200 version of Pac-Man, although I have a more arcade-perfect version for another system, I like the unique look and feel of the 5200 Pac-Man. But I do feel I'm missing precision control...

I've already shipped it to the seller, but I do plan on talking to her, when she receives it, about re-listing it, and I'll explain that there are collectors out there who can repair it. If/when she does re-list, I plan on posting on here so anyone interested can have a chance.

I know I didn't really get a chance to game with the Wico but I wasn't too impressed with the joystick itself, even when locked, it felt loose and mushy; more so than my stock 5200 stick. Also, I found the Wico difficult to use if you're left handed and need to press the fire buttons.

I don't know why, but I just really enjoy the 5200 version of Pac-Man, although I have a more arcade-perfect version for another system, I like the unique look and feel of the 5200 Pac-Man. But I do feel I'm missing precision control...

I'm not a huge fan of the wico stick either, its ergonomics are like a brick imo. Sounds like you need to get your hands on a masterplay or a clone ;) to fully appreciate the system. It will give you the 'precision' control you looking for.