IGNORED

What a crock of *bleep* < Censored

moycon

Afterall, America was pretty quick to make sure that David Koresh's voice wasn't law on even a tiny chunk of land, and I see that as an immediate difference between the faiths--or at least the societies that have formed around them.

Yeah, and as far as I know, he wasn't even running around chopping people's heads off.

Nah. They just stockpiled on large caliber and semi-automatic weapons, and planning mass suicide.

Nothing terrible or anything.

Yeah, like I said, they weren't even going out, grabbing people who offended them, then chopping off their heads. They were just a bunch of crazy religious gun nuts in a circle jerk and the government took them out. Imagine what our government would do if an American religious group started chopping off heads. Our government would take them out too, not endorse them or help them.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't..............

I have a slightly different take on that statement. Damned if you do...then DROP EVERY NUKE WE HAVE ON THE MIDDLE EAST AND WIPE IT FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH! Then build the world's biggest mall on the ruins.

Islam is a staple religion in the not only the Middle East, but Africa and Asia as well. If you plan to wipe it out, it's going to take you a while.

This thread should be moved to "Current Events". It may have a modern gaming theme but this thread is politically and religiously tainted from the very start. I go to political sites for garbage like this. I don't want to have to find political labels forming among the people I have gaming conversations with. Gamers can be liberal and conservative. Bugger off with the hate.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't..............

I have a slightly different take on that statement. Damned if you do...then DROP EVERY NUKE WE HAVE ON THE MIDDLE EAST AND WIPE IT FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH! Then build the world's biggest mall on the ruins.

Islam is a staple religion in the not only the Middle East, but Africa and Asia as well. If you plan to wipe it out, it's going to take you a while.

Yup.

Indonesia has the largest Muslim population of any country and they're in Southeast Asia.

......so that nuke 'em all plan might not work out too well.....

So here's a $64,000 question. It's my understanding that even if you buy one of the uncensored copies of LBP that got out before the recall (you knew some would - lazy store employees at Wal*Mart and Target make these things possible) there's already a v1.02 patch that takes the song out of the game. If you want to hear the song and had a pre-recall version, wouldn't it be simple enough to just take your PS3 offline (turn off your router, unplug your ethernet cable) to do it? Of course if it checks for updates every single time and you leave your PS3 online even +once+ you'd be screwed... unless (and here's the question) you can opt out of the patch without it blocking you from playing the game. Does anybody know if you +have+ to download the patch if you're online, or can you simply opt out? (Or does it auto-download if you're online and not even give you the choice?)

Does anybody know if you +have+ to download the patch if you're online, or can you simply opt out? (Or does it auto-download if you're online and not even give you the choice?)

I don't think you HAVE to update. I think it asks you if you want to. Not 100% sure in this case though. Just seems to me when PAIN needed an upgrade, it asked first.

Does anybody know if you +have+ to download the patch if you're online, or can you simply opt out? (Or does it auto-download if you're online and not even give you the choice?)

I don't think you HAVE to update. I think it asks you if you want to. Not 100% sure in this case though. Just seems to me when PAIN needed an upgrade, it asked first.

of course most updates don't ask...

the alternative is that you could continually delete the game data, and that should reset to disc spec. Don't know if game data and saves are the same, but I don't think so.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think lbp is ready for consumption. it was touched on earlier but it makes sense that this 'protest' could be used by sony to delay their product until a patch comes out to improve gameplay, hype the crap out of it, and a distant third--care for people's feelings. it's over a feature of the game minor enough (background track) that people won't mind it being removed.

if you make the assumption that LBP needs one last little bit of help, this whole episode just makes sense. "oh jeez, we need another week on the patch--look I found this protest letter from...aww who cares, just use it"

Sure, it could be a publicity stunt or something. But I also think we are underestimating the strength of the objection.

Muslim extremist DO have a lot of influence. They got Comedy Central to censor that episode of South Park (w/Family guy). They still have several newspaper cartoonists in hiding. Etc., etc., etc. Bomb/Death threats and assassination attempts will make people do crazy things, even if it's the wrong thing to do.

Sony's job is to avoid conflict and make money, not defend the spirit of freedom. Sure, censoring the game will piss people off - none of those people are going to try and kill the programmers or blow up one of their buildings either. :ponder: