IGNORED

Take 'Em To The Woodshed - Master System Weirdness

RSS Bot

Last night at about 1:30/2:00 in the morning, I got this urge to hook up my master system. I don't do this very often because I only have about 7 games for it (10 if you count "Hang-On," "Safari Hunt," and the maze game). I have "Y's" but never played it, even tho everyone raves about it. So I look at the shelf and start dragging out the system, knowing that in prolly 20 minutes time, I'm just not gonna care anymore.

Let me explain that last statment. All of the systems I have, I play. I may not have that many games for them, but I do still play them. I go through "phases" - my current one is my PC Engine - I've never really stuck with one system. These "phases" could last a few weeks, or only a few minutes. My attention span is such that if I'm not captivated by enough flashing lights and action on-screen, I won't be playing a game for very long.

Anyway, Looking at the master system, I realize that I don't have an AC adaptor - must've gotten lost in the move. Still have the RF tho, but I dont wanna move the TV and deal with all of that. So, it's time to look at the back of the system - see what I'm working with for "alternative" hookups. First, I notice that it has some sort of DIN(?) connector for AV output. It's too small for my Saturn one, but I noticed that the port on the system was rather large; large enough for for maybe(?!) a PCE AV cable. It fits, but I still have the problem of no AC. A quick Google search brought up (of all friggin' places on the 'net) an eBay page about the specs for an AC adaptor for the SMS. I'm not tech/computer/electronic-saavy, so that was no help.

Then it came to me: A while ago I hooked up my Genesis/32X/Sega CD combo! The Genesis and 32X took the same type of AC - of which I had a few of. the Side-mounted CD unit that I have cam with no AC when I got it, so it kinda sat in a closet for a WHILE; until I got a CoreGrafx system a couple of months ago. That AC works PERFECTLY with the SCD, so I figured "why the hell not????"

Success! Got the startup screen! It took a moment, but it got to the "Hang-On/Safari Hunt" screen. My previous SMS was the canadian version and booted up directly to "Hang-On." This one still has the maze game, and after playing that for a while, started looking at my small collection of carts. First one I come to is "Y's." I bought this game a while ago after getting my second SMS, but never played it. Everyone seems to like the series, as I haven't seen anyone really say anything bad about it.

I put the game in the system and power it on - nothing, not even the startup screen. Push the cart in (ALL THE WAY this time - I'm SUCH a dumbass) and power it on again(!) - It loaded up all right, but not to "Y's." Now its time for the old "blow on the contacts" tip. I know that this is the WORST thing you can possibly do to a cart but it's late and I've already come too far to stop, properly clean the cart (which I'm going to do later) and try it again.

After blowing in the cart, I power on the system for the THIRD time now. I get the start-up screen, and it hangs for a few moments.

"What the fuck!" I said, as I'm Realizing that the money I spent on this game is now wasted and that I'm an idiot for buying thes game, cart-only. Just as I'm about to turn the system off and needlessly try to play it for a FORTH time, a purple flash and then...

smserrorvj5.jpg

"What the FUCK! OK, maybe its the game itself..." I put in "Cloud Master," one of my favorite shooters. Works fine. Dammit, I'm gonna get this game to work. Plugging in "Y's" AGAIN(!) I power on the system for now the the SIXTH time in 20 minutes. Works PERFECTLY, even has the previous save files STILL on the cart.

I was done. I still haven't played "Y's" - I've been playing "After Burner" which is actually very entertaining, even tho I've played (and still have yet to buy) the PCE, Genesis, and Sega Ages (saturn) versions.

The system is still hooked up, I just need more games for it... But i have a few things to say about "Time Soldiers" which will have to wait until another time.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=5383