IGNORED

Two-fisted Robotron Goodness!

bigferret

I've always loved Robotron, but I just couldn't come to grips with the standard 7800 controllers without a good joystick holder.

So....I finally hit on the idea to get some cheap utility clamps from Walmart and simply attached the joysticks to a hard surface. The result really surprised me because the Joysticks work perfectly in this configuration!

In fact, if you rest your hands on either side of the joysticks, it really feels a lot like an arcade machine (as long as the clamps are tight and the sticks don't move). This works well for me and it finally gives me an excuse to use my standard joysticks (I pretty much use an old Slik-Stick or joypad controllers for everything else).

For any Robotron fans out there, I highly recommend trying something like this. Any hard surface will do (TV tray, board, etc.) and it is really cheap.

Here are a couple of pics:

http://homepage.mac.com/tkryder/PhotoAlbum9.html

heheh Don't get the wrong idea, there was no offense. It's just that like I said, the whole deal with Robotron when it came out was the control scheme where you could run in one direction and shoot in another. So it was it's unique 'hook' in a sense and whenever you found a magazine article about it, that's what they'd point out. :) And not only that, but a lot of the strategies (such as running around in a circle while shooting towards the middle) you can only do with the original 2 joystick control. That's all. :) Playing Robotron any other way is pretty much playing handicapped in a sense. :P

Oh, OK! :)

I just recently got a 7800. I really knew very little about it when it originally came out. It(the 7800) came out during that brief period in my life when I thought I was "too old" for video games. So, I never paid any attention to any advertising related to it at that time. What the heck was I thinking?

I think now that I know you can use two controllers, I will probably like it more.

Actually to solve the two joystick problem I'd play with a friend, sort of a you push the pedals while I steer scenario. I'll have to try clamping two sticks together, sounds simple enough.

Hey, if that works, when is one of you home brewers going to do Black Widow for the 7800?

Eric

Actually to solve the two joystick problem I'd play with a friend, sort of a you push the pedals while I steer scenario.  I'll have to try clamping two sticks together, sounds simple enough.

Hey, if that works, when is one of you home brewers going to do Black Widow for the 7800?

Eric

Could Black Widow be done on the 7800 and make it look vector? As much as 52 Tempest and 26/52 Star Wars looked vector, the detail and animation that Black Widow would require would be outrages, I'd think.

Holy crap! I feel like such a schmuck! I've been an avid 7800 gamer for over 15 years, and not once have I ever heard anybody play Robotron with 2 joystickson the 7800... I always thought what a shame it was that you couldnt use 2 sticks on the 7800 as opposed to the 5200, because yeah, 2 sticks is all the fun of robotron! I'm going to have to try this out.

Lol thanks guys.

Man I still can't believe I didnt know this. I never had the instruction manual for Robotron... I bought it back like in '87 used from a game shop, never had the instructions. Now that I have Atari 7800.com, I have tons of these things in stock new in the box, but I never took one for myself and cracked it open and looked at the instructions.

Are there any other mods out there for the dual joystick operation?

You know, now that I realized you can use two controllers I wanted to go try it out. I realized, what better way to try it out than in the Atari 7800 ProSystem kiosk I have... the two original joysticks poke out about a foot or so and they are stable and dont jostle around too much, so it is making for some real awesome gameplay! Ill post pictures shortly.

I did the same thing by taking a 1x6 piece of pin, drilling eight holes in it (2 on each side of each controller) and using some really ductile wire to wire the sticks down to the wood. You can just set the board on your lap and it works pretty good. I'm working on a more permanent solution that I will share here soon... it's gonna be good

Actually to solve the two joystick problem I'd play with a friend, sort of a you push the pedals while I steer scenario.  I'll have to try clamping two sticks together, sounds simple enough.

Eric

I just got the game recently and I like playing it that way with one steering

and the other shooting. Makes for another great two player game on a

system filled with good multiplayer games. But I am tempted to take

a few old 2600 joysticks and screw them into a board for some single

player action.

The 7800 two joysticker holder sounds interesting. Any pictures of it

anywhere?

John

The 7800 two joysticker holder sounds interesting. Any pictures of it

anywhere?

John

Is it the same as the 8-bit Home Computer version? IIRC, that version has a plastic tray in the box that two Atari joys snap into. Some vendors still sell that package new. Would be an expensive solution for 7800 fans though.

I just found out the only way to play 7800 Robotron even close to arcade style is to play it through MESS using a Playstation Dual Shock controller, using the left stick for moving and the right stick for firing.

heh, if you are running it through your PC anyway, you should just go all the way and play the original thourgh MAME. Of course, to be authentic you need to have a HotRod or X-Arcade joystick for your 2 stick action.