IGNORED

Which Atari 2600 Games Have the Best Title Screens?

Random Terrain

Which classic or homebrew Atari 2600 games have the best title screens (in your humble opinion)? There, I said it for you. Now you don't have to start your post with IMHO. :D

I don't care if your opinion is humble or not. Feel free to boldly list how no man has listed before.

Here's a question: Does an attract mode boost your opinion of the title screen? For example, Centipede has an attract mode and a pretty good title screen with a bit of animation and color cycling.

Star Fire's title screen is very cool, with great music to boot!

EDIT: How could I forget Go Fish!? That's what made me really fall in love with the VCS's animation abilities. And the music was kickass. I'd say that an attract mode certainly endears a game more to me, but I really prefer music (and then there's Lead, which has the best of both worlds).

Edited by TheHoboInYourRoom

I really like Solar Fox and Desert Falcon. They both have the appearance of a classic arcade game, which seemed impossible at one time on the 2600, but has been done often in later games.

Also, Centipede's title screen and attract mode look great.

And Wolfenstein VCS-The next mission looks great as well.

I like the title screens of the following games:

BMX Air Master

California Games

Moon Patrol

Fatal Run

Dark Chambers

Stargate/Defender II

Dig Dug

Double Dunk

Xenophobe

Ms. Pac-Man

Asterix/Taz

Obelix

Sorcerer's Apprentice

Moto Rodeo

Off The Wall

2005 Minigame Multicart (great music!)

Allia Quest

Four-Play

Encaved

A-VCS-Tec Challenge

Conquest Of Mars

Merlin's Walls (love the music!)

Fall Down

JoustPong/FlapPing

Medieval Mayhem

Reindeer Rescue

. . . Toyshop Trouble . . .

Doesn't seem to be a ROM available, so those who don't own it wouldn't know what it looks like. Doesn't seem to be any videos of it at YouTube either.

Screenshot: http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...areLabelID=2748

Of course, it doesn't capture the animation. A nice layered effect with the snow falling, and the lights blinking with the music.

Allia Quest and Power Off are both nicely done as well. (Power Off is another that has to be seen in motion.)

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...areLabelID=1134

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...areLabelID=2687

Juno First is another that's looking really good. (Admittedly, I'm a little biased there.)

As to your other question, I like seeing attract/demo modes when possible. It adds a nice level of polish to a game. Lady Bug is an excellent example. After a few bugs run by on the title screen, it will show a demo, then alternate back and forth. It also has a nod to the arcade game with the ROM OK RAM OK screen.

I like the Galaxian title screen , but oddly enough you never see it until after the game ends.

Edit:

Looks like it does show up in attract mode , but after a rounds of simulated play.

I enclosed a small video clip. Nothing fancy , and heavily compressed , definitely more colourful on tv.

Untitled1.mpg

Edited by ProperRogue

When I was a kid I was impressed with the ET head on the title screen for ET, now I think anything with Paul Slocum music is pretty great, particularly Thrust+ Platinum.

Still, nothing impressed me back in the day like the Sylvestor Stallone open to Rocky Battles the Champ on the CV. I still think that looks cool.