IGNORED

Take 'Em To The Woodshed - Random Thoughts

RSS Bot

I'm on vacation from work this week and have been spending it with the gf, so my game playing has been limited to emulation on my PSP. It's fine, I guess, because it gives me time to refine the rom library on the mem. stick, and to perhaps get some new systems on there. One of the systems I would like to get on there is the 7800, but with that come an inherent problem: usually all of the systems that I emulate that I don't own I usually want to get. Given that I still have a want list for just about all of my other systems, getting another system doesn't seem like the best plan of action - especially when you dont really have space for the systems that you have.

I actually used to own a 7800; it's, oddly enough, what got me into the 2600. We only had 4 games for it (Mario Bros., Choplifter, Xenophobe, and Pole Position II), but about 150 for the 2600. Numerous summers were spent playing Spider-Man, Reactor, Crazy Climber and the like. I think this is where the appreciation for the system came from. I wasn't alive for the heyday of the 2600 (I'm 27), and I barely remember seeing anything for an Atari system until we got the 7800. I don't even remember getting that, and I have a good recollection of getting all my systems. It's prolly because I was raised a Nintendo kid, but broke free of those chains when I got my Genesis.

If I were to buy a 7800, I guess the Way to go would be to just buy the 4 games that I had, that way When I hook that system up, I can still play the 2600 games. Only problem with that is I have a light sixer and a vader that I really don't want to get rid of. There are also a bunch of 2600 games that I want to get that I used to have, which opens up the wallet even more. It's not that bad if you're spending money on games that you like and will actuallyplay, but get too many and space starts to become available at a premium.

This brings up the subject of what, if anything, should I get rid of? A few months ago, I liquidated a huge amount of my collection to clear up some space. With the money made from that, I was able to buy my PCE Duo-R. Looking back on it, a lot of that stuff I was on the fence about parting with, but made a conscious decision that I was not going to become some sort of a "video game packrat" and horde anything and everything that had to do with games. It was getting a little bit out of control tho - I ended up with about 20 soundtracks for games that I didnt even play, and I was getting them just to have them; no thought of reselling them. Maybe that's why I got rid of my items so fast ; some of them were pretty rare and unique.

Looking through the collection and weeding things out again is not something that I would want to do, but it makes more sense than cramming everything that I have into a small space and hoping for the best. I am familiar in the notion that I don't even use a majority of my collection (SNES being the biggest culprit), but I also enjoy going through my collection and "rediscovering" some of the gems that I've enjoyed playing in the past (like "Codename: Tenka" for the PS1).

I'm still not counting out getting that 7800, tho...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=5396