IGNORED

Planet Bob - Playing Star Raiders II (C64)

RSS Bot

Hi there!

Ah, one from the golden years of space games:

starraiders2.gif

This one has a mile long backstory that's starting with a 1984 movie tie-in A8 game called "The Last Starfighter" from Atari, and ending with the 1987 C64 version from Electric Dreams which I was playing tonight. Of course there's also the first Star Raiders, which we even saw on the Atari 2600 and another sequel called Solaris...

Researching the complete odyssey of Star Raiders games properly would probably take at lot longer than beating this game, so I leave this task to someone else ;)

You're actually fighting on two fronts in this one, which are located in two different solar systems connected through a map scene.

It gets a little tactical element here, since you have to shift priorities between bombing cities on enemy planets and defending your home planets from the same fate - at the same time.

Once you destroyed 30 enemy cities and all attacking squadrons at home, you've beaten the game:

starraiders2_x.gif

I think I'd have loved this one in the 80's when it originally came out, but today I see it's just a pretty basic shmup.

Some future day the Playing series may see another space game in the form of "Starglider 2", but first it will continue with something more cinematic.

Greetings,

Manuel

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=5404