IGNORED

Need help with bB -- problems compiling after installation / Tutorial

STGuy1040

Hey Guys,

I decided to take the plunge by trying bB. I've read the beginner's tutorial here and followed (and verified multiple times) the instructions to configure bB, Crimson, etc. I finally reached the point in the tutorial where you load a .bas example, compile it, and then run it through your emulator of choice, but I encountered a problem that is making me scratch my head.

For example: I load zombie_chase.bas, I ran the user config tool that I created from the tutorial (i.e. compile bB program) but the compile ends with the following:

Fatal Assembly error: Check command-line format

>Terminated with exit 0

Of course, if I try to run the compile Stella opens up a directory / filename window.

Now the tutorial states that >Terminated with exit 0 means everything went ok, but I don't think that is quite true since a Fatal Assembly error occurs. I am running the latest version of DASM, bB, and Crimson, I've configured the path in the variable path & system variables through My computer, and I have browsed the tutorial multiple times. I'm sure I missed something somewhere, but I can't seem to pinpoint it. :ponder:

Edit: Updated Topic Title for better clarification

VbB usually makes a folder called bin in each project folder. Open your project folder with Windows Explorer and see if it contains a folder called bin. If it's there and if you open it and see a bin file in there, maybe jwierer can figure out why it's not playing.

In case you haven't yet, you might also want to take a look at the Visual batari Basic Guide:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me...-basic-vbb.html

I can compile with VbB with no problems now which is a great thing. Now, my question is: after compiling I try to run the program and VbB states it can't find the .bin file; what did I forget to do? :?:

Compiled, but with or without errors? You can always right click on the project and select browse in Windows Explorer to see if a bin file was actually created. If it compiled correctly then there should also be a link in the information pane.

-Jeff

Edited by jwierer

I can compile with VbB with no problems now which is a great thing. Now, my question is: after compiling I try to run the program and VbB states it can't find the .bin file; what did I forget to do? :?:

Compiled, but with or without errors? You can always right click on the project and select browse in Windows Explorer to see if a bin file was actually created. If it compiled correctly then there should also be a link in the information pane.

-Jeff

It compiles with no errors:

[11/2/2008 10:40:57 AM] saving C:\VisualbB\New Project\default.bas succeeded.

Compile started at 11/2/2008 10:40:57 AM

Compiling C:\VisualbB\New Project\default.bas

2600 Basic compilation completed.

..but there is no .bin file (I checked).

Edited by STGuy1040

If you have the latest updated files and have Add bB Environment Variable and Add bB Compiler to System Path check marked in the VbB settings, I don't understand why you'd be having a problem. Very weird.

Edited by Random Terrain

If you have the latest updated files and have Add bB Environment Variable and Add bB Compiler to System Path check marked in the VbB settings, I don't understand why you'd be having a problem. Very weird.

It's very weird. I re-downloaded the files again from the link you provided and the same thing still happens. Here's a screenshot; the settings are configured as required:

vbb.JPG

Edited by STGuy1040

After looking at your screenshots i think i know where your problem is. If you compile a .bas file in the bB "samples" folder Visual bB will create a "bin" folder there and not in your "New Project" folder.

So according to the path on your screenshots the "bin" folder with your file should be here:

C:\Atari2600\bB\samples

It's compiling, but not assembling. If it were you would see something like this.

DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler ©1988-2003
     bytes of ROM space left
     91 bytes of ROM space left
Compilation completed at 11/2/2008 4:30:06 PM
view output file:///F:/Emulation/VisualbB/bB/samples/bin

This means that DASM is never run as if it's not installed, or installed incorrectly?

-Jeff

Are you using Windows XP or Vista and do you have administrative privilages?

I went into the control panel under user accounts and I do have admin access. I'll double-check DASM to see if something isn't installed right.

Edit: I am using Windows XP.

Edited by STGuy1040

I decided to download everything again from Random Terrain's links for bB, VbB, and DASM. I am running Windows XP and verified that I have admin rights (thanks for pointing that out to me!).

I feel like I'm being such a pain in the ass by asking, but would someone mind verifying the installation steps? I've read the tutorials and apparently did something wrong somewhere, and right now I am feeling a bit embarrassed about it. lol

Edited by STGuy1040

It's compiling, but not assembling. If it were you would see something like this.

DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler ©1988-2003
     bytes of ROM space left
Compilation completed at 11/2/2008 4:30:06 PM
view output file:///F:/Emulation/VisualbB/bB/samples/bin

This means that DASM is never run as if it's not installed, or installed incorrectly?

-Jeff

Well I tried it with DASM missing and this is the error you get so DASM must be installed, but not working.

Compile started at 11/2/2008 7:57:36 PM
Compiling F:\Emulation\VisualbB\Packer\Packer\Packer.bas
[color="#FF0000"]Could not locate the DASM Assembler.  Please check your settings and try again.
Precompilation failed, aborted at 11/2/2008 7:57:36 PM[/color]

OK, here is what I did on a Windows XP computer:

1. Downloaded Stella and installed it.
  2. Went to the main hard drive folder (C:) and created a new folder called atari2600.
  3. Created a new folder inside of the atari2600 folder called projects.
  4. Downloaded the bB zip file. Put the bB zip file in the atari2600 folder, unzipped it and deleted the zip file.
  5. Downloaded the updated files zip, put it in the atari2600 folder, unzipped it, opened each folder, highlighted all of the files and dropped the files into the appropriate folders (and when a pop up came up, I told the computer I wanted to replace the files).
  6. Made a folder called vbb in the atari2600 folder, downloaded the Visual batari Basic zip file, put the VbB zip file in the vbb folder, unzipped it and deleted the zip file.
  7. Ran VbB and the setup wizard told me what to do.
  8. Went to the Start Page and left clicked the Create Project button. Named the project zombie_chase, selected the projects folder as the path (C:\atari2600\projects), made sure Create {\bin} subfolder was checked, then left clicked the OK button.
  9. Left VbB for a moment, opened the bB samples folder, copied the zombie_chase.bas file and pasted it into the zombie_chase folder.
  10. Went back to VbB and double clicked on the zombie_chase.bas file in the Project Explorer to open it.
  11. Ran the program and VbB told me that I needed the sed.exe file, so I left VbB for a moment, went to the batari Basic folder and opened the sed folder, copied sed.exe and pasted it in the main bB folder.
  12. Went back to VbB and ran the program again. This time it compiled and ran in the Stella emulator without a problem.

It's nice to know that VbB will take care of that environment variable and system path stuff for us. If more people knew that VbB cut out that complicated manual process, we'd probably have more bB users.

Edited by Random Terrain

OK, here is what I did on a Windows XP computer:

1. Downloaded Stella and installed it.
  2. Went to the main hard drive folder (C:) and created a new folder called atari2600.
  3. Created a new folder inside of the atari2600 folder called projects.
  4. Downloaded the bB zip file. Put the bB zip file in the atari2600 folder, unzipped it and deleted the zip file.
  5. Downloaded the updated files zip, put it in the atari2600 folder, unzipped it, opened each folder, highlighted all of the files and dropped the files into the appropriate folders (and when a pop up came up, I told the computer I wanted to replace the files).
  6. Downloaded the Visual batari Basic zip file. Put the VbB zip file in the atari2600 folder, unzipped it and deleted the zip file.
  7. Ran VbB and the setup wizard told me what to do.
  8. Went to the Start Page and left clicked the Create Project button. Named the project zombie_chase, selected the projects folder as the path (C:\atari2600\projects), made sure Create {\bin} subfolder was checked, then left clicked the OK button.
  9. Left VbB for a moment, opened the bB samples folder, copied the zombie_chase.bas file and pasted it into the zombie_chase folder.
  10. Went back to VbB and double clicked on the zombie_chase.bas file in the Project Explorer to open it.
  11. Ran the program and VbB told me that I needed the sed.exe file, so I left VbB for a moment, went to the batari Basic folder and opened the sed folder, copied sed.exe and pasted it in the main bB folder.
  12. Went back to VbB and ran the program again. This time it compiled and ran in the Stella emulator without a problem.

It's nice to know that VbB will take care of that environment variable and system path stuff for us. If more people knew that VbB cut out that complicated manual process, we'd probably have more bB users.

I really appreciate the time you spent verifying these steps for me RT. I followed your aforementioned instructions from start to finish, but the same thing still happens when I compile zombie_chase.bas or any .bas for that matter. It comes up with the same message every single time.

I guess I’ll take it for what it is and give it a rest for now. Thank you to everyone for their help!

Edited by STGuy1040