IGNORED

Pimp my Lynx II

gravitone

During these dark days in November I decided to have some fun with a spare lynx II lying around. It gave me a chance to practice using my dremel and various bits as well as spray painting plastic. It worked out pretty well, but is definitly up for improvement. But im happy with the results for a first try. Just thought id share some pictures here. I removed some of those ugly ridges on the lynx 2. Smoothed out the back, and painted the whole unit with an ivory white glossy finish. The 6 buttons in the black frame still have to be painted, so dont mind that mess right now. Let me know what you think.

post-19954-1225834988_thumb.jpg

A great looking system. Reminds me of mine ;)

How will you paint the buttons? The colors so far are white, black and orange for the logo.

I would paint the small buttons white and leave the A and B buttons black.

Or you could perhaps paint the power on button orange.

Edited by karri

Smoothing the battery cover took me quite a whilte. It also created a lot of plastic dust. I filled up the back of the lynx as well to make it flat & smooth. Used some random filler material that works on plastics. Didnt come out as good as I hoped, but it was a first time try at filling & painting plastic, so I really cant complain. I'll take some more close-up shots once I have some decent light in my room, which is essential since I have to take pictures with my phone.

Has your phone got a macro function on it? Might take clearer pics with Macro. What MegaPixel is it? I have a Sony Erricson K800i. It has a 3.2 MP camera which takes pretty decent pics.

Back to the modded Lynx....... Glad to see you didn't erase the Atari Logo/name on the back.

Cool modding. :D

Love it.

One question though about the kind of paint you used. I couldn't make that out clear enough.

Did you use regular spraycan paint to paint the plastic or spraypaint for plastic?

There's a difference between the bonding of the paint to plastic or not good enough if you use the wrong paint for the wrong surface.

I'm modding myself too but I never did a mod of a console. Pc mainly. Currently working on my new pc but I'll the pics out of it.

Peeps here might go 'HERETIC!!!!' :D

*Whisper* Amiga 2000 case conversion to PC

But I used special paint for the front cover which is made of hard plastic. Much like the casing of a Lynx.

For the metal casing I used regular car paint.

But beside by question...Keep it up...It looks really good.

And thank you for giving me more ideas of objects to spraypaint and mod... :lol:

I carefully sanded down the unit with 600 grit sandpaper, and finished with a slightly finer grit. I used 2 layers of primer made for soft plastics and did 3 layers of paint. I used a spraycan. I sanded in between the layers with ultra fine sandpaper to create as smooth a surface as possible. As this was my first experience with spraycans some areas got more pain then others, while some small patches werent sanded as well as others. Overall it was a good learning experience and im sure I can do a better job in the future.