IGNORED

Wooooooooooooot...Another proud Lynx owner :D

EoN

Hi there all.

Finally after all the years being without a Lynx, my first one died (mk1) within a few years after I bought it (1990isch), I finally have another one. To be honest I've got 4 by now. One with a broken display and broken as in not turning on anymore but everything still works, One works almost 100% as long as you don't need to push the Control button to go Right. It goes to the right but downwards too. Most likely a problem with the presspat on the board.

One is fully working and my fourth one I know tomorrow when it arrives by mail.

A little introduction from my side.

I'm a digital artist that performs on stage as a Video Jockey and design adverts, leaflets and such. I started out in 1978 with a simple 2bit handheld game and bought my first Atari 2600 in 1981, Almost a year's worth of pocketpay saved up just to buy the Console new in the store. If you think Hardware is expensive these days be glad you never bought Hardware back then. :P

Ever since I've been working with computers. From Acorn Atom to C64 to Amiga to Lynx and now PC.

Recently I was browsing through a Dutch Ebay look-a-like site when I came accros an advert of an Atari Lynx for sale. After some fierce bidding, mainly against some wankers called merchants, on some other adverts I've build up a little collection in over one week's time. Over 50games, 4 Lynx', several universal adaptors, link cables, sunblockers, more small stuff and few bags. Large ones and small ones.

Hopefully I get a mail tonight (6pm here) from another seller and that buy would add 19 more games to my collection and more hardware. :D

In the end I'm trying to get four working Lynx' with adaptors and several Multiplayer games to play against eachother.

At times I go to Lan-Parties and it would be fun to unpack those Lynx' and be playing against some friends within seconds while all those heavy PC's are still being build. Retro LAN'ng RULEZZZZZZZZ XD :lol:

When I was looking for a list of released games this week I found this site. So hi there everyone. :D

I'm still indexing all I've got into a nice Database but so far it looks that I have half the games now that were released on the Lynx.

Let me say this to be clear...I'm not a collector that needs to have all the gadgets boxed and in foil to placed in a display cabinet nor am I going to get Demo's and Prototypes. When I have the Harware I'm looking for, including some game titles I don't have yet, I'm doing buying up those old Lynx'.

The console is meant to used and played on and not for on display in a museum.

I noticed that peeps here sell their doubles, I assume, so my question would be if it is ok to place an advert here, or topic, for a trade?

With trade I mean trading one, or more, title(s) for the games I'm looking for.

If it is ok then I'll post a topic here with a list of games I have double or triple. One cartridge of Chip's challenge is more than enough for me and at the moment I have three of them...at least. I'm looking for four cartridges of Gaunlet The Third Encounter.

To round this off... Last week I payed some 120Euro, excluding P&P or traintickets, for 4 Lynx' and over 50Games plus extra's. Sounds like a good deal so far. I noticed the prices some stores dare to ask for something that was included free when you bought the Lynx...See Batman.

As soon as my collection is complete, or close enough to it, I'll put some photos online here. :D

Time to play some games....Retro style. :D

Welcome to Atari Age from me. Sounds like you have a good collection there. I hope you find all those copies of Gauntlet soon. I wish I had 3 mates into games let along the lynx to play multiplayer games with.

I've gor photos of collection somewhere on these boards. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Looks like I ran into one of the people bidding with/against me on marktplaats :D

Its relatively easy and cheap here now to build up a nice atari lynx collection. Given that its europe where we pay all the dollarprices in euros, and given that its holland which means +20-30% because everyone here is stingy. I've just won a decent condition lynx with 13 games, including a boxed lemmings which I intend to sell to make up for some of the cost. Good to see there are more people interested in the lynx in this country. This Mehmet guy is also buying or at least bidding on almost every lynx console that shows up.

The lynx never did particulary well over here in Europe. Somewhere in the 90's I remember there being a clearance sale at intertoys which is to my recollection the only major retailer who actually still sold the system. They cleared them out for like 50 guilders, which is about $25. That was for the lynx II with the batman pack-in. A stood there with one of the those boxes in my hands for about 15 minutes thinking about whether or not to buy a system. I wish I would have back then. Games were still available back then going at discount prices. I remember crystal mines, chips challenge, and blue lightning being the most prominent titles still available back then. This year I bought my first lynx unit, which really made me wish I would have bought one back in the day. Of course I was one of those kids that got a gameboy instead, and got into pc gaming later. I dont regret getting the gameboy though, gave me a lot of great gaming. Its was just different. A lot of games had that unique japanese touch to them. The lynx is all in all a completely different experience. Playing this system now, and looking at its capabilities, has made me wonder what some of those (Early) gameboy games would have been like had they been released on the atari in color. And who am I not to pick up a good challenge. For a good fun project I have decided to port super mario land to the lynx. Most of this afternoon has been spent converting sprites, and adjusting everything to a 16 color palette, trying to figure out how to divide the palette usage between player, enemies, other sprites, and backgrounds. So much could have been done with this little system, and most of it never happend. I think as a community we can still make part of that come true.

Edited by gravitone

Looks like I ran into one of the people bidding with/against me on marktplaats :D

Its relatively easy and cheap here now to build up a nice atari lynx collection. Given that its europe where we pay all the dollarprices in euros, and given that its holland which means +20-30% because everyone here is stingy. I've just won a decent condition lynx with 13 games, including a boxed lemmings which I intend to sell to make up for some of the cost. Good to see there are more people interested in the lynx in this country. This Mehmet guy is also buying or at least bidding on almost every lynx console that shows up.

Congrats. I was bidding on that one too but left it there when I another seller on the phone agreeing she would sell her collection to me. I had to pick it up in Utrecht as she wouldn't snailmail it me. Lucky for me I can take a direct train to Utrecht Central Station for five Euro more than by mail.

You might have seen that advert on Marktplaats. 25 Games, Large+small bag, broken Lynx mk1 and the extra cables+powersupply.

Picked that one up for 50Euro. From what I've read there's some 50 games available so half of them I had in one buy and no doubles.

But that Mehmet is a merchant. Check all his bidings in the game console section of Marktplaats and some other sections related to that. Amiga, Commodore, Snes, Nintendo, etc.

The amount of biddings I encountered are so many that he, assuming this person's gender, is a merchant. A collector doesn't place a few hunderd biddings at a few hunderd different adverts.

Plus some hardware I bought was close enough to where I live that I could take the train and pick it up. Some of those peeps had the same experience with this person. Not always responding to mails but in the meanwhile driving up the price by bidding. I don't mind paying a good price for a product, and I'm still Dutch so if I can get for cheap I will :D , but he's driving up a bit too far for my taste. But enough about that one or else I get the urge to write a very long rant filled with too much sarcasm for this late in the evening :P

But I can deal with a merchant like that. There's more than way to make deals. :)

I still have to wait till next week when my, for now, final package arrives. Then the indexing really starts and I can place my little collection here online (Massive Ego Boost Lvl5+ Activated *Grin*) with the pics.

Ty for the warm welcomes. :)

Bidding by these ridiculous merchants makes me irritated as well. They never seem to get the final bid anyways. Right now im just shocked by the latest great offer showing up on the site. A lynx 1 with a broken screen (there's a seriously large hole in it), a lynx II in unknown condition, and 11 games. Just carts. And of course the ultra deluxe carying case. All for the wonderfull minimum price of 100 euros. Which comes down to about $130 US right now. Wonderfull how people expect to get that much for their crap.

• 2 weeks later...
For a good fun project I have decided to port super mario land to the lynx. Most of this afternoon has been spent converting sprites, and adjusting everything to a 16 color palette, trying to figure out how to divide the palette usage between player, enemies, other sprites, and backgrounds. So much could have been done with this little system, and most of it never happend. I think as a community we can still make part of that come true.

Excellent! Good luck with your efforts! And please keep us updated! :)